PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive sources

Boucher
07-11-2009, 12:44 AM
The recent thread regarding CBN grinding wheels mentions 5" cupped wheels. How are they run? What are they mounted on? I see mention of CDCO offering Diamond and CBN. My last catalog only shows diamond. Where do you buy CBN Wheels.

Cubic zirconia flap disks for angle grinders are recommended. Where do you purchase them?

2" X 72" belts of the Norton 5SG ceramic are mentioned. Where do you purchase these?

Like the song says "Looking in all the wrong places" I guess that would be me. I am not finding this stuff. Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

barts
07-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Cubic zirconia flap disks for angle grinders are recommended. Where do you purchase them?

Enco has cheapies; they're not as nice as the Norton ones I get from Home Despot.

oldtiffie
07-11-2009, 03:31 AM
The recent thread regarding CBN grinding wheels mentions 5" cupped wheels. How are they run? What are they mounted on? I see mention of CDCO offering Diamond and CBN. My last catalog only shows diamond. Where do you buy CBN Wheels.

2" X 72" belts of the Norton 5SG ceramic are mentioned. Where do you purchase these?

Like the song says "Looking in all the wrong places" I guess that would be me. I am not finding this stuff. Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

The standard Tool-Room grinding wheel bores are 1 1/4" = 31.75mm x nominally 1/2" (12.7mm nom) thick - for normal aluminium-oxide and tungsten carbide wheels. CBN and diamond wheels have the same bore but may be thinner.

Grinder wheels, flap-disks and sander belts should be available at any good tool store that supplies the "Trade".

BadDog
07-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Belts: McMaster has a good selection. Enco is cheaper. Any of the usual suspects (MSC, Travers, J&L, etc) will have what you want.

Flap Disks: GET SOME! For general cleanup and semi-finish work, you can't beat them. Then can remove some significant amounts of metal in a very controllable fashion. I still use stones, but I couldn't live without my flap disks. I've got Enco cheapies, HF cheapies, and Nortons. In fact, I've gotten Nortons from HF, including the 60 grit disk I was using tonight. And a 40 grit will amaze you at how fast it moves metal while still leaving a reasonably good finish. 1/4" disks are used mostly/only for troughs and narrow groove work. Anything flat-ish, including welding prep (de-scale, de-rust, de-paint/galvi, bevel, etc) almost invariably gets the flap...