PDA

View Full Version : Funky pillar-drill attachment

Peter.
07-11-2009, 09:00 AM
A guy is selling this setup on eBay listed as a 'pillar drill'. I'm not interested in it but I am interested in how it might have been used. Looks like you mount a hand drill into the clamp but I see no way of moving it up/down but there's a long lever that looks to be attached to a rotary part with graduations and a clamp. Any clues as to it's purpose?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150357067968

Circlip
07-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Some bits missing Peter, but it looks to be some parts from a "Selecta" Home workshop, a bit like the "Unimat" of woodworking. Have the original "Selecta" two speed drill with 3'8" capacity chuck, not very ground breaking now, but it was the dogs danglies in 1962 when all we had was the "Wolf Cub" and the "Stanley Bridges".

Regards Ian.

Peter.
07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Gotcha.

Cheers Ian :)

boslab
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
if you want one and dont mind the postage there is one in my scrap bin, it also has a slot for a circular saw in the table, it was given to me and has been added to b for bin
mark

Peter.
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Cheers Bob but no, I was just curious as to it's purpose :)

oldtiffie
07-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Some bits missing Peter, but it looks to be some parts from a "Selecta" Home workshop, a bit like the "Unimat" of woodworking. Have the original "Selecta" two speed drill with 3'8" capacity chuck, not very ground breaking now, but it was the dogs danglies in 1962 when all we had was the "Wolf Cub" and the "Stanley Bridges".

Regards Ian.

Right on Ian as regards name "Selecta" and date - 1962.

That post of yours was a real "blast from the past"!!

It was all die-cast and had a steel tube mast and arm. It was a sort of table-cum-docking-cum-mitre saw and work-head. The arm had a 1/4" square key set into it. I had all the "accessories" for it. I had a 2-speed Black & Decker (so-called) "Power Drill" as a work-head in it. It was "rough but honest" with "slop" everywhere which you either adjust out or allowed for. After that and similar, some of the wear in later mechanical/"Machinist"/HSM machines came relatively easy.

I am still amazed at some of the work I did with it. Its quite a reality check to be "brought up short" now-a-days with a jolt to see what we did with tools that we'd regard as toys or scrap or of no use at all today.

I tossed mine out when it was either taking up space or of no use.

It was scary to see just how easy it was to have an accident - a "good" one - but we all survived more or less with all our "bits" - ie the dog still has his danglies but they are a lot less likely to do anyone any harm - or any good either - this old dog included!!.

Circlip
07-12-2009, 04:30 AM
I know the date was right Tiffe, I remember how old I was when I bought it. Strange though how the "Selecta-matic" was painted sand and black and the "Workshop" (Or all the bits i've ever seen, from various sources was "Hammerite light Blue"???

Regards Ian

Bet you had the"Wobble washer" set. :D