PDA

View Full Version : Taper Adapters

Fasttrack
07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Did I read something here about why it's not a good idea to run a soft taper in a spindle?

tattoomike68
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Did I read something here about why it's not a good idea to run a soft taper in a spindle?

soft taper what is that?

BadDog
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Nothing wrong with a soft taper in the spindle. That's pretty much all I use, touched up each time to make sure it's spot on...

Tatoo: Chuck up some scrap and turn a 60* point to make a center. If held in a chuck, use the chuck jaw to drive a dog, and use something to lash it to the chuck to eliminate bounce/hammer effect.

Fasttrack
07-12-2009, 01:58 AM
I guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about the "unhardened" variety of morse taper sleeves/adapters. Is there any major reason for NOT using the unhardened ones?

I need a MT3 shank to MT4 socket and an MT3 shank to MT5 socket for the jack knife drill. They get pricey for hardened ones. The application demands practically no accuracy. Furthermore, the "soft" ones cost practically nothing. Even if a drill spun in the socket and marred the inside, it would be no big deal to replace or ream. I can't see why it would hurt anything... but I thought I'd ask...

BadDog
07-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Well, slap me and make me pay attention. I saw "soft taper", and even repeated it in my post, but mentally processed it as "soft center". Sorry...

To try to redeem myself, I'll try again. Other than the obvious increased chance of damage/displacement should swarf get in by accident, or it gets dropped/bumped/etc, I don't see a problem. I suppose there is some chance for ejector displacement depending on how it's done? But for relatively light and careful use, I don't think I would worry.

But I've got MT3=>MT4, MT2=> MT4 (both for lathe), and MT2=>MT3 (for drill press) adapters. And if I recall correctly, I believe the first two are hardened and ground purchased from Enco. I don't recall them being very expensive.

Fasttrack
07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Well, slap me and make me pay attention. I saw "soft taper", and even repeated it in my post, but mentally processed it as "soft center". Sorry...

To try to redeem myself, I'll try again. Other than the obvious increased chance of damage/displacement should swarf get in by accident, or it gets dropped/bumped/etc, I don't see a problem. I suppose there is some chance for ejector displacement depending on how it's done? But for relatively light and careful use, I don't think I would worry.

But I've got MT3=>MT4, MT2=> MT4 (both for lathe), and MT2=>MT3 (for drill press) adapters. And if I recall correctly, I believe the first two are hardened and ground purchased from Enco. I don't recall them being very expensive.

Yep, the hardened MT4 adapters are about $30. The MT5 is much more, however! I've only got one MT5 drill bit, maybe I'll just hold off buying the larger adapter for awhile.

jimmstruk
07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey, Fasttrak, Check out Ebay #390062068568 JIM

Fasttrack
07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks Jim - I've got a bunch of those already for my Pacemaker. What I need is one that goes from a 3MT shank to a 5MT socket, instead of a 3MT socket to 5MT shank!

Thanks, though!

jimmstruk
07-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Oooops, sorry, the same people may have what really want at a good price too. JIM