PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Rings

lenord
07-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Ok, just got hitched. Been with her 13 years already.
Never wore a ring before. Feels strange having something on my ring finger.
I recall reading horror stories about rings getting caught ? Does everyone take these off when in the shop ?

Mine is suppose to be carbide, plain, simple, heavy.

How much risk is there to wearing this in my shop ?

Thanks
Lenord

SGW
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I always took mine off and stuck it in my watch pocket. These days my finger has swelled so sometimes I can't get the ring off...and it always makes me extremely nervous.

J. Randall
07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I was an auto mechanic when I got married 32 yrs. ago, my ring is still laying in a drawer. It looks brand new, I did wear it occasionally for the first few yrs. It won't fit now.
James

rockrat
07-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Got mine caught once at work on a machine and it scared the crap out of me. I started to take it off when I got to work. Then I would forget to put it on when I went home. Not cool according to the wife.

Then I was wiring something (I don't even remember) and I got close to a bus bar in a box. That sealed it. It was put on the dresser at home, I told the wife that it was not worth loosing my finger and she agreed. The vowels are what keep us together, not the ring. But I will put it on when we get dressed up or go out for a nice evening.

In the end the choice is yours, just stay safe.

rock~

datsun280zxt
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Mine sitting in with my wife's jewelry. I haven't worn it in years. She understands completely...it's just not safe, and the last thing I want to do is loose it because I took it off at work.

philbur
07-11-2009, 09:10 PM
The probability of injury or worse is proportional to the sum of all the risks you take. Eliminating unnecessary risks reduces the probability. Your wife would probably be happy if you wear it on a thin chain around you neck, inside your shirt. She might even think it's cute.

Phil:)

Lew Hartswick
07-11-2009, 09:15 PM
From the view point of a nearly 52 years married person it won't
matter after a few years but in the meantime try to keep her happy.
Both of our hands have gotten to the point that the rings wouldnt fit
on either of us. They all just sit in a box somewhere. :-)
...lew...

Evan
07-11-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't wear jewellery of any sort and especially not rings.

If you want to know why just follow this Google search to the links it turns up.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=ring+finger+degloving&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

hardtail
07-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I wore mine for a month or 2 after we wed and honestly I was just trashin it, scratched, constantly out of round, took it off and I'd be hard pressed to even find it now........

A fella I worked with wore his and worked structural steel and slipped one day and it hooked a bolt, damned near ripped his finger off but it slowed his descent for enough seconds for his partner to grab him back to safety.....I suspect it's like wearing seatbelts with similar stories and odds.......

saltmine
07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I never wear jewelry, of any kind. Seen too many guys get ripped up pretty bad when a ring or a watch or necklace gets snagged on something....I used to wear a wristwatch, but it kept getting smashed, so I stopped wearing one.

Saw a fellow mechanic working under the dash of a truck one day....Shorted his wedding band across a couple of hot switch terminals...Melted the band right into his finger, almost burned it completely off....I'll bet it hurt like hell.
Gold is a very good conductor of electricity.

Had an industrial arts teacher in high school who used to expound endlessly about shop safety.....Two years after I graduated, he made the mistake of trying to walk through the propeller of an idling Cessna....it wasn't pretty.

Pherdie
07-11-2009, 09:55 PM
My wife and I were married in '72, while I was still in the military. I had just returned from a fun-filled year in South East Asia. After our wedding, we moved to my new assignment in Texas to finish out my remaining nine months working on aircraft communications/cryptography systems in C-130's.

The first day before reporting for "work", I removed my wedding band and put it on the dresser. My wife was devastated and cried her eyes out. I tried to explain it was sooooooo dangerous for me to wear it 'at work', but to her the danger of wearing it seemed to be marginal compared to the threat removing it posed to her. Any price for peace, the ring went back on.

A month later I'm in the belly of a 130 and get the ring across an exposed 28 VDC buss. The ring turned red and my finger fried. Luckily the gold was soft enough I could break the ring free, but the damage was done. My finger was a mess for months and permanently messed up.

Your Old Dog
07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
............ The vowels are what keep us together, not the ring. ................

Maybe that's where we screwed up. We took vows, maybe vowels would have worked better :D

My ring was ordered 1 size small and popped over my finger joint as we walked down the isle on Jan 26th, 1970. It has never been off for any reason. Yes, I've had to be damn careful because of it. That don't have to mean anything to anyone but me and it means a great deal to me. Unless some mortician really just has to have it, I expect to be planted with it on.

HSS
07-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I wore mine for 15 years. One night we went out to dinner with some friends and I felt something unusual at my ring finger, looked down and noticed that the ring was broken. Took it to a jeweler to be repaired and they said it is too tight for me so they resized it. Now it is really loose, so I quit wearing it. She now has it in her jewelrybox, bless her heart.

Patrick

rockrat
07-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Maybe that's where we screwed up. We took vows, maybe vowels would have worked better :D

Ha! Missed that one. :p
Spell checker - 1
rockrat - 0

rock~

airsmith282
07-11-2009, 10:50 PM
i leave mine in al the time wife takes a fit every time i take it off so i just leave it on

doctor demo
07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Been hitched to this one 13 years, Played the ring only after work game, and she said she understands but ya know when they say one thing and mean entirely something different.
So for her birthday last year while we were at Lake Tahoe I had a diamond tatooed on My ring finger. She does not care if I wear the gold one at all.
$60.00 plus tip and no more problems.
The guy that did it for me said if I ever get divorced He would put a red circle with a line thru it over the diamond for cheap.:D
On a side note I burned a watch off My wrist one day when a ratchet wrench broke and the watch band hit the hot post on an alternator on the truck I was workin on:eek:

Steve

TGTool
07-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Had an industrial arts teacher in high school who used to expound endlessly about shop safety.....Two years after I graduated, he made the mistake of trying to walk through the propeller of an idling Cessna....it wasn't pretty.

I heard about a woman once who backed into one.

Yup. Dis-assed her.:D

doctor demo
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I heard about a woman once who backed into one.

Yup. Dis-assed her.:D
Show a little respect for goodness sakes after all it was His shop teacher, I bet the teacher had a splitting head ache though:D

Steve

JRouche
07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I still wear my ring. I like it. Keeps all the ladies off me LOL Not, but really, I dont work in the industry so if I did I may think about shelving it for work time then after my after work shower happens (you do shower after work right??) prolly remount it.

The thing is, I dont look at the ring as just something to please my wife, I wear it for ME. Its my thing, a tradition for me.

My wife is a nurse, she didnt wear hers at work either (blood and guts). But when work was done she put it back on. Not to make a statement for others, just maybe a way of saying, ok, work is done, Im in family mode now, and I like family mode...

Now for the safety issue, YUP, alot of stories of guys loosing a finger. Bet theres more stories were guys lost a finger that wasnt even a ring finger. Im thinking you should be careful with all your fingers, even the ones that dont have a lil loop of metal around them. Keep the digits outta moving parts.

Now electricity is another story. I say YES, remove it. I have worked on electrical circuits before, I would not put my hand in a compartment of electrical components wearing a ring..

Biggest problem with my ring?? Weld slag. LOL Yeah, It was new and shiny once, not anymore. I have had to take a chisel to it to remove a dot of weld metal so many times. And it gets damaged, bunch of ugly marks on mine from working with metal.. But hey, thats a good representation of me, damaged skin all around from working with metal.

Have I hooked it? Yup, but it was my fault, rushing around and snagged it. It was kinda an eye opener, I was rushing and needed to slow down and thing about my hand movements.

But I do think it can be an additional hazard for guys that work for a living, Im retired, I can afford a finger, hell, got seven more... JR

Jim Shaper
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Show a little respect for goodness sakes after all it was His shop teacher, I bet the teacher had a splitting head ache though:D

Steve

Nah, his mind was out to lunch.

The mrs understands that what I do has risks to the ring and my finger if I wear it, so I just leave it on the nightstand when I'm working.

oldtiffie
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by rockrat
............ The vowels are what keep us together, not the ring. ................

My ring was ordered 1 size small and popped over my finger joint as we walked down the isle on Jan 26th, 1970. It has never been off for any reason. Yes, I've had to be damn careful because of it. That don't have to mean anything to anyone but me and it means a great deal to me. Unless some mortician really just has to have it, I expect to be planted with it on.

You got it right YOD.

The "vowels" are right according to some:

"'ey, eeeh, I owe you" - or "a, u o i??".

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

I won't bother with the consonants!!!

There are some who reckon that a woman wants a ring on a man's finger as a token of "ownership" (warning to other women!!) and for the same reason a ring is put in the nose of a boar pig or a prize bull - so they can both lead you round by it and stop you rooting around!!!

Not here though!!!

My wife and I have 50 married years coming up in December. She is that happy about "making it" that I could not describe it - and I am just as happy for her and both of us.

Neither of us have ever had the rings off for long - hour or two at most. She would be absolutely devastated if I wanted to or did remove mine. If she ever had to save just one item, her wedding ring would be it.

Suffice to say that we have been well and truly tested.

Both of us together manage pretty well, but I'd guess that neither of us would see a year out without the other.

My ring fits nicely and never moves on my finger and I can't recall ever "snagging" it.

I never have long hair ("short back and sides" brigade) and never wear other than overalls and close-fitting clothing and industrial steel-capped boots in the shop.

If I am "up-tight", "in a hurry" or distracted I won't go into the shop or if in the shop, I switch everything off until I have my act together and my mind and concentration on the job.

I've done it all my life in shops and I'm still in one piece.

If I have problems with my wedding ring it will be catastrophic as any problems that might happen or occur in the shop will be insignificant.

If it were a choice between the shop - and just about everything and everyone else - and her and that ring, I'd just walk away and stay away - for good - and neither hesitate a minute nor would I miss it - just for that ring and what it means. The shop is to be destroyed when I "go" so that anything in it is to reduced to being scrap and totally unusable so that there will be no "vultures", "main-chancers" etc. hanging around to pester or harangue her when she is vulnerable. She will be well-provided for without any "proceeds" of selling the shop and its contents.

If she pre-deceases me, the shop will be as gutted as I will be.

So my ring will be a fixture to the very end.

Carld
07-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Was married in 1964 and almost riped my finger off in about 1968 and have never had it on since. It don't fit now anyway.

Never wear jewelry when working period.

oddball racing
07-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I was changing the battery on my Electraglide when ring shorted the positive terminal to ground. .......ever seen a five hundred dollar, hundred amp fuse made of gold pop? Now have a permanant scar visible in the summers months to remind me of that tragedy. (the battery incedent not the marriage:D )

Evan
07-12-2009, 08:49 AM
The shop is to be destroyed when I "go" so that anything in it is to reduced to being scrap and totally unusable so that there will be no "vultures", "main-chancers" etc. hanging around to pester or harangue her when she is vulnerable.

That is just plain ridiculous not to mention very hard to do. I suggest you donate all of it, lock, stock and way lube to the charity of your choice and let them auction it off AFTER removing it from it's present location. Better yet, make an arrangement in advance with a school and give it to the industrial arts program.

lenord
07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I will leave it on most of the time and just take it off when I am doing something that looks "hazardous" to my hand. I am only in the shop part of the day, the rest of the time I am on the computer or phone, so it isn't necessary to remove it when I am not in the shop on a machine. As far as electrical work, I don't do it, or work on cars anymore. I do a little 12 volt work, but that is limited.
I had forgotten about degloving, thanks for the term Evan. I looked at all of the pictures. Kinda spooky to see those.

Lenord

dwilliams35
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
As far as damage to the ring, I've got two rings; one that's the "real deal", and a cheaper one that I wear and don't worry too much about damage: we went to Mexico on our honeymoon, and we bought a couple of silver bands to wear down there in bandit-land: left the diamond and gold in the safe at home.. We've always considered them our "throw down rings", and I've just gone to wearing that one at work, and keep the good one for dress occasions...As mentioned before here, weld slag has been my biggest problem as well, I've gotten pretty good at remembering to pull it off and pocket it if the rotating machinery or electrical issues pop up...

tony ennis
07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I like my wife, hate the ring. Broke some fingers roughhousing with the boy scouts :rolleyes: Took the ring off the broken finger, never put it back in.

My dad worked around machinery. He never wore his ring. He put it on his keychain.

Cheeseking
07-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Congrats and now that you're hitched, in addition to the ring/no-ring discussion, see also Too-Many-Tools thread about what happens to the shop in divorce! Of course this won't apply to you;) but just sayin..

Evan
07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Mine is suppose to be carbide, plain, simple, heavy.

You should reconsider the material Lenord. Not only does it make an excellent resistive heating element if used to short a car battery when boosting it it is also something the average emergency room is not equipped to remove, short of smashing your finger with a hammer.

bob308
07-12-2009, 03:51 PM
if you must wear a ring get one tatooed on that way you never take it off and it will never get hooked.
now i am not an ink fan and have none. but the first pic. in even's link made me think it is better then ending up with a finger like that.

stoneysstarters
07-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Burned the PI$$ out of the fingers on my right hand getting the ring off. Shorted it out doing resistance soldering using a carbon gouging rod hooked up to two 6v. batteries. Wear mine on a neck chain now. Another mechanic that I know shorted a gold neck chain leaning over a car hood. Now he has a real ring around the collar.