PDA

View Full Version : anyone recognize this - Swiss bits and pieces

Mcgyver
07-12-2009, 12:09 PM
more unidentified stuff. First pic is of some sort of vise with interchangeable jaws. box and unit marked universal key, made in Switzerland. there are two edges protruding that look like they are for scraping of some sort. Second unit may not be related, might just have been in the same box because they're both small vises...also made in Switzerland

anyone recognize them?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/Img01761024x768.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/Img0177resize.jpg

tony ennis
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
First first picture looks like some kind of a hold-down system.
The second picture looks like a jig to hold a plane iron for sharpening.

hmmm the 2nd item holds round things too. What's it say on the end, and what does the bottom of it look like?

And what's it say on the box!

tony ennis
07-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Omega SA, the watch maker, is from that area. I wonder if the first item is a vice for watches.

GadgetBuilder
07-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Looks like a vise to hold a watch and an adjustable spanner. Some waterproof watches had little slots around the edge of the back that the spanner might fit. The other parts look like replaceable jaws to handle other styles of back.

John

Herm Williams
07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
spanner for water resistant watch cases. the little L shaped end ie for snap type case like a pocket watch.
my two cents worth.
re

gvasale
07-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Concurr 100% with GadgetBuilder.

Davidhcnc
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Definately watch repair stuff . The lower is a movement holding vice.

Mcgyver
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
hanging around here is making it so i dont even have think :D

thanks guys

Circlip
07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
The jaws set in the handle are for the socketed screw back waterproof watches, the two blade type jaws are for the type of screw backs that have a shallow multi-flatted feature on the screw back. The "Vice" is a pocket watch holder, the winding stem resting between the two "Prongs" on the adjustable jaw.

"Universal" tools for a working watch repairer.

Regards Ian.

bigbill04
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
spanner for water resistant watch cases. the little L shaped end ie for snap type case like a pocket watch.
my two cents worth.
re
Both you and Gadgetbuilder are correct. My dad was a watchmaker working for Bulova Watches and I have his tools now that he is dead. I have been thinking about fixing some of his watches and clocks that I now have using some of the skills he taught me when I was in my early teens. Maybe I can make some extra cash since most of the true watchmakers are old or dead. Bill