PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Tumico mic?

J Tiers
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I can adjust most any mics with no problem. This one I am not familiar with

I have a Tumico 5" 0.0001 reading mic which I recently acquired, and need to get it set a bit better, its about 7 tenths out.

There is an adjustment hole on the thimble, but it seems only the end of the thimble can move relative to the main thimble body. It does not seem to want to move.

Not wanting to to force a measurement tool, I thought I'd see if there is anything that needs to be loosened first.... Doesn't look like it, the thimble is one piece from the end through the knurled area all the way down to the short section of the graduated thimble which appears to be a separate sleeve with a wrench hole. But that short area doesn't move readily with a mic wrench.

Is there a trick? Or do I just need to use some penetrating oil etc to free it?

The sleeve may be stuck by an accumulation of "people grease" at the junction with the rest of the thimble, the mic is generally quite clean and in good condition otherwise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/tumico1.jpg

There isn't any part at the outside end of the thimble to loosen, as with some mics. The only obvious "moving part" for adjustment is the short graduated section.

Optics Curmudgeon
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Well, you've lucked out today. I have a Tumico mike like that one (NOS, in the box) here in the office. I tried the thimble adjustment and it does move, but even the "new" one is stiff. I expect yours is indeed just stuck. Yes, just the graduated part moves.

Joe

Glenn Wegman
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Did you check to see if the anvils are parallel?

Perhaps the frozen adjustment device, indicating it was not previously incorrectly adjusted, and .0007" error is telling you it has been dropped, stretched, or twisted!

Just a thought

Glenn

Optics Curmudgeon
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I going to take this opportunity to put in a plug for having an ultrasonic cleaner in the shop. I've used one for years, it's one of those things that once you have it you wonder how you did without it. I've loosened up many things like this, as well as thoroghly cleaning parts that were nearly impossible to clean any other way.

Joe

J Tiers
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Did you check to see if the anvils are parallel?

Perhaps the frozen adjustment device, indicating it was not previously incorrectly adjusted, and .0007" error is telling you it has been dropped, stretched, or twisted!

Just a thought

Glenn

it's possible, but since the anvils are 4" apart at least, no I have not checked them. But the error seems consistent at more than one position/dimension, so that probably disposes of the issue. For $10 I'm not out anything big in any case.....

O.C. The info is appreciated. Thanks