View Full Version : Cleaning a Bijur One-SHot Lube
07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
My new (to me) Bridgeport was delivered today and I've been going over the machine thoroughly to clean everything and find any problems I may have missed at the dealer. One thing I have identified is that the one-shot lube system seems to be plugged up. When I release the lever the plunger takes several minutes to retract and there doesn't seem to be any oil delivered to the ways. I suspect that there is probably some coagulated junk plugging up some or all of the distribution lines. Is there any easy way to clean out the system or am I going to need to disassemble everything and clean it out manually?
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Probably going to have to take it apart and clean all the pieces. Check all the fittings for a number when you take it apart. Some of them have a number on them indicating the orifice size which helps the oil go the right places. Cleaned one at one shop where i worked and about a 1/4 of the orifices were plugged.
A Bijur oiler typically takes a few minutes to go down, and you should not see large amounts of oil flowing out of the ways. Some Bridgeports take quite a while for the oil to ooze out. You want to see a nice film on the ways, not a lot of oil covering the painted surfaces.
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
While the metering units can be plugged, it's also common for the passages they feed (in the machine castings) to get plugged. Do be sure to map out which metering unit came from where....their numerical values are chosen to correctly balance the lubrication of the whole machine. Soak them in kerosene and then lacquer thinnner if there is "varnish" built up in them. The nylon tubing that goes everywhere is also subject to plugging as the passage diameter is small. YOu can check these by disconnecting from the associated metering unit and giving a tiny pull to see if they flow oil. This stuff is available by the foot along with replacement brass "thimbles" (compression rings) so it may be easier to replace than to clean thoroughly...assuming you end up disassebling the machine. There is a bunch of it under the "saddle".....fed by a manifold, with a bunch of delivery points including the hidden feed nuts.
If it's making it to the metering unit and the metering units are clean, then it's usually the oil passage in the machine...plugged with a greasy glob of swarf and hardened oil. This means some machine disassembly and use of pipe cleaners or tiny wire brushes etc.
As already mentioned, under full working conditions, oil delivery to the way surfaces should be quite slow. Normally, you pull the lever and then slowly work each access to distribute the oil over the associated way surface.
07-13-2009, 12:46 PM
One other thing you can try -- take the little holding tank off (it comes right off) and clean it thoroughly (it will need that regardless anyway) will probably have some sediment settled in the bottom. Reassemble and fill with Kerosene/diesel/mineral spirits, etc and use that as a "flush" solution, being thin it will more likely get through. Wipe the mill down good and pump on the Bijur and start spotting where its running out, any that dont wanna feed, remove the metering fitting (thats the thing thats numbered) and flush with something like brake cleaner, taking advantage of the pressure in the can, Then if it still dont wanna feed try some air pressure - I've got a blow gun with a rubber tip - and try that.
I just went thru all these steps on a surface grinder that I'm reviving and with a little persistance I was able to get all of the feed lines working - and this thing was made in 1941!!
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Bill's post raises yet another possible issue. The resistance could be on the intake side. All of the Bijur models I am familiar with have a multi-piece filter at the inlet. Mine had bronze screening of two different sizes, as a pre-filter over top of a maybe 1/4" thick disk of medium-density felt. It would be easy for all of this to be plugged. If this might be the case, I would recommend removing this stuff....just held in place by a thin wire spring clip and thoroughly cleaning it. You really don't want the stuff it contains to be forced *throug* the filter.....so maybe clean that first and then try Bill's recommendation.
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I did this recently for my Excello: I cleaned out the reservoir (like Bill says, it fills up with sludge), cleaned the inlet screen, and then fired a bunch of mineral spirits through the lines.
After I had gotten all the crud out, I replaced the mineral spirits with ATF. ATF has a ton of detergents, and it does a great job cleaning out the varnish. Since it's bright red, it makes it easy to insure that oil is coming out of each metering port.
I finally replaced the ATF with way oil, and kept pumping it through while rolling the table and knee back and forth, until all the red was gone.
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I removed the reservoir and found that the oil contained within had degraded into a sludge like substance. I cleaned out the reservoir and filter and then filled it up with some new vactra. It seems to work just fine now.