PDA

View Full Version : The Army Wants Steam Powered Flesh Eating Killbots!

Tuckerfan
07-15-2009, 04:13 AM
We are so freakin' doomed, man! (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,532492,00.html?test=latestnews)
A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.(emphasis mine)

Aw, man, if this ain't the beginnings of Sky Net, I don't know what is. You just know these things are going to be programmed with a strong desire to eat, and the software's gonna be all buggy, and they're going to start eating people left and right. Then they're going to figure out how to make copies of themselves, so there'll be even more of them, and no doubt some joker's programmed them to fire nukes at anyone named John Connor, so there's none of this silly business about trying to draw a bead on him.

oldtiffie
07-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Well, if they started off using some here who get pretty steamed about almost anything for no useful purpose, that would not only increase efficiency but clean some of the clutter out from here.

I wonder what sorts of "caps", "Carbon foot-prints" and "carbon credits" there are.

Perhaps they could use Al Gore and his ilk for carbon sequestration? - as storage!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_sequestration

A real "win-win" scenario - for once?

John Stevenson
07-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Pity Wickipedia wasn't in paper format, that would keep it running for a couple of hours..............................

oldtiffie
07-15-2009, 05:11 AM
John.

Print it out - on "clean" cerified organic re-cycled paper.

Your solution is in your own hands.

Evan
07-15-2009, 05:38 AM
http://ixian.ca/pics6/ww2.jpg

jackary
07-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Brilliant Evan,
How long did it take you to make it? are plans available?
Alan

PTSideshow
07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Well it looks like, that cyclone engine outfit from Fla finally found somebody to license those amazing engines of theirs. They have a new web page at their site.
http://www.cyclonepower.com/works.html;)

OldRedFord
07-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't think it is anything to get alarmed about. Quite creepy tho.

Your Old Dog
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Well you can be sure the Middle East War zone wasn't the need this thing was designed for! There isn't enough vegetation over there to fuel it for long. If they made one that could exist on rocks and sand then we might have a worry :D

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Evan made that out of some junk he had laying around. There aren't any real plans, he used Google's sketchup on the tricky bits however. He has the "death machine" plugin.

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
My prediction is that the death of every soldier will (has?) become so politically unacceptable that we'll deploy autonomous (not RC) fighting robots before long. No one cares if a robot is destroyed. This is probably not what the anti-war zealots had in mind.

Evan
07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
My prediction is that the death of every soldier will (has?) become so politically unacceptable that we'll deploy autonomous (not RC) fighting robots before long.

That will require a presedential order to overturn a previous order that requires a human be present somewhere to press the kill button on any remote device equipped with lethal force. The only exception to this is land mines and closely related weapons.

JCHannum
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I found it somewhat humorous to see that "they" are considering banning smoking in the armed forces as it presents a health hazard. Apparently falling on a grenade does not?

john hobdeclipe
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
If they use Windows operating systems, there won't be much to be concerned about.

boslab
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
the Windows 'blue screen of death' takes on a whole new meaning
mark

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
The only exception to this is land mines and closely related weapons.

Well, in the US, encryption is categorized as "munitions." Why would a souless robotic walking dealer of hot flaming death not be a land mine?

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I found it somewhat humorous to see that "they" are considering banning smoking in the armed forces as it presents a health hazard. Apparently falling on a grenade does not?

/coffeespew

barts
07-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Given the additional lifetime cancer risks engendered by smoking, I'm pretty sure that the addition of cigarettes in WWII soldiers' ration packs ended up killing more US soldiers (and later on their partners, who also learned to smoke) than anything else....

andy_b
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
My prediction is that the death of every soldier will (has?) become so politically unacceptable that we'll deploy autonomous (not RC) fighting robots before long. No one cares if a robot is destroyed. This is probably not what the anti-war zealots had in mind.

perfect. no reason to stop wars as long as no humans die. sounds like a recipe for eternal warfare. the future certainly looks bright.

andy b.

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
no reason to stop wars as long as no humans die.

hehe, wellll, if there isn't much political fallout from the other guy's humans dying...

My snide comment about 'anti-war zealots' is really more about unintended consequences than people who are against war. If war protesters turn up the political heat on the military because we're losing too many men... then naturally we'll find a way to accomplish both goals of winning wars while losing fewer men. One solution is killer RC robots which we have. (When's the last time you saw a beard-tearing tear-soaked op-ed about Predator #233 that was shot down over Basra...) You'll see more and more autonomy in the robots as time passes. IMO, eventually a line will be crossed and they will become fully autonomous but attended. Eventually, they will become unattended.

In the science fiction genre, read "Bolo" by Keith Laumer which is about heroic super autonomous war machines.

Liger Zero
07-15-2009, 04:04 PM
http://ixian.ca/pics6/ww2.jpg

Always have to one-up the rest of us dontcha? :rolleyes:

(glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers that movie! :D)

Evan
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
they will become fully autonomous but attended. Eventually, they will become unattended.

They already are fully autonomous and have been for almost a decade. Imagine what they have now. Global Hawk took off, climbed out and navigated to Australia from California, decended and landed without human intervention. It also can fly complex reconnisance missions completely autonomously.

Global Hawk Sets Two Pending World Records During Milestone Flight Across Equator
San Diego - March 22, 2001
The U.S. Air Force's Global Hawk unmanned aerial reconnaissance system, developed by Northrop Grumman Corporation's Integrated Systems Sector (ISS), has successfully completed a milestone flight across the equator that set pending world records for altitude and endurance by an autonomous, unmanned jet-powered aircraft.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/uav-01d.html

tony ennis
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
They already are fully autonomous and have been for almost a decade.

Flying around a fixed flight pattern and taking pictures isn't quite what I meant. That's just an autopilot. That being said, the whole of what you described is still impressive.

I was thinking more of a ground-based robot. These are all RC AFAIK. I know a guy who was in Iraq some time ago. He said they had experimental autonomous .50 cal machine guns and were 'testing' them. The gun targeted using radar and IR. There was an operator/observer but he did nothing but reload the gun.

Evan
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
There are similar systems such as the navy Phalanx CIWS which is nominally used for time critical defense against missile attack. It operates autonomously because there isn't time for a human to be in the loop. However, it isn't limited to shooting at missiles, it will happily fire on anything that is moving quickly toward the ship. The same applies to current laser weapons development for antimissile defense.

You can tell when a technology is maturing in the defense world. At first most development takes place publicly since it is impossible to hide the movement of materiale and personelle as well as the construction of new facilities. Accompanying this are reports of very early developments that may either be true or a smoke screen. Then programs are terminated and budgets cancelled as the development goes black. The rate of information leakage drops to nearly zero.

We are in that stage right now in respect of ultra high performance air/space craft. It is the stated intention of the US Air Force to take the High Ground and hold it. Space is the high ground and you can bet the SR 71 fleet was stood down because it was no longer required, not becausee it was too expensive.

Every once in a while some interesting bits and pieces leak out. In the arena of aircraft and especially autonomous aircraft there have been occasional tidbits.

Take this for example: While it may be a photoshop job it may just as easily be real.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics/uavf1.jpg

Your Old Dog
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
These robots are a good thing. It will help us sanitize war so that the bleeding hearts won't be threatened by the occasional need to defend our freedoms and free others from oppression. I was drafted. I wish every young man could serve in the military for at least 2 years. Your country should be worth that much to you, whatever your country is.

wierdscience
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
perfect. no reason to stop wars as long as no humans die. sounds like a recipe for eternal warfare. the future certainly looks bright.

andy b.

Oh,don't worry Andy,once Chairman O eliminates all nuclear weapons we can go back to good ole fashion world wide bloody conventional war.

andy_b
07-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh,don't worry Andy,once Chairman O eliminates all nuclear weapons we can go back to good ole fashion world wide bloody conventional war.

we have to, it is the most palatable means to control population growth. forced abortions and death chambers don't go over nearly as well. :)

andy b.

Evan
07-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Based on past experience nothing is able to control the human population increase. When faced with disaster, war and starvation while in the middle of a plague there is always one activity to indulge in.

madman
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
CONDOMS SARAN WRAP . Is this the answer to mans stupidity? OR Satellite TV Oh NO not tonight Honey Theres a good fishing show on from Nigeria .

Liger Zero
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
These robots are a good thing. It will help us sanitize war so that the bleeding hearts won't be threatened by the occasional need to defend our freedoms and free others from oppression. I was drafted. I wish every young man could serve in the military for at least 2 years. Your country should be worth that much to you, whatever your country is.

Apparently I scored well on the Vocational Battery, this lead to three different recruiters calling me.

I tried to join, was going to go Navy like the rest of the family did.

...was told I was no good because I can't differentiate red and green at a distance of XXX yards. They got me a waiver for THAT then they had objections over a bull**** problem with my feet.

Of course this was between Gulf Wars, when we were at "peace" I imagine they might want me now if I apply again.

madman
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Up in Canada we have high pressure machines that hurl water at long distances and at incredibly high pressures to soak down the creepy robot fiends and short circuit the crap out of em. We also have drink trays riveted on to such awesome devices and are already preparing for the inevitable attack by fueling up the Machines with gas and keeping at least two 24 s of beer at hand in case of a invasion. I just want my fellow HSM members to rest easy tonight as madman is armed cocked and locked ready to soak them robots down. Afterwards i get first dibs on there innerds for future home shop projects of course. I had to explain the xtra Beer Purchases to my wife of course. In case the High pressure waterm blaster fails i have a few 3.5 inch magnumn slugs ready to go and am considering reloading some shells with a few of the many used carbide inserts for a low budget depleted home brew uraniumn round. BURP Later madman

oldtiffie
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Good answer MM.

Using taking the maximum amount of (figurative) pi$$ out of the "experts" as an excuse (good reason?) to imbibe the maximum amount of pi$$ (literally) yourself is very creative, useful and sensible thinking.