PDA

View Full Version : Logan power feed adjustment?

doc-zeus
07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a Logan model 1875 9" lathe that I suspect needs adjustment. I've already replaced a couple of the transmission gears, -- TWICE!

I confess to being spoiled by the features of a commercial level lathe at the shop! Set the stop for the longitudinal travel, start the cut, and you can go do something else while the cut is being performed. Not so with my own smaller lathe. Machining to a shoulder - can be maddening! Too slow on the release leaver, and I've created another repair job for myself.

Unfortunately, I only have a parts manual for this machine, so I cannot tell if there is a clutch adjustment, or how that clutch is properly adjusted!

If anyone here could help me get a copy of the adjutment instructions for this lathe, I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Either post it here, or I can provide my email address.

Thanks in advance

Doc Zeus

J Tiers
07-15-2009, 08:36 AM
The best suggestion is to get a full manual from Logan.

http://store.lathe.com/

Carld
07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Well, your braver than I am, I would never trust a manual lathe with an automatic carriage stop to stop the carriage every time in the same place.

Why in the world would you use the feed all the way to the shoulder and then try to release it at the shoulder on your lathe at home? That is asking for trouble. Do you run a CNC lathe at work?

When machining to a shoulder on a manual lathe I use the feed to about 1/4" of the shoulder and release it and feed it manually to the shoulder. I also use a carriage stop to run the carriage up to it so the shoulder don't grab the tool if I try to go to far. At times I have used a dial indicator with a mag base on the way buy it is easy to go .001" to far and damage the shoulder and tool.

If you keep trying to let the feed go all the way to the shoulder you will continue to tear your lathe up. I don't know if there is an adjustment for the feed or not but if you plan to use that to slip the feed and machine to the shoulder your really going to find out how expensive the repairs can get.

It's a manual lathe, not a CNC so don't try to run it like a CNC. Manual means your in control ALL the time, you don't leave it for a cup of coffee or bull **** with someone.

J Tiers
07-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Actually, Logan had a trip-release arrangement that was intended to trip-off the feed at a repeatable point, although I don't know if I would trust it to turn to a shoulder.

CarlD has the correct advice as far as technique.

But you DO need the manual, and why not get it from the folks who support the machine instead of some ebay scalper? I think Logan get about $20 for a manual.

Carld
07-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Yes, it would be best to buy the manual from the Logan store J Teirs suggested.