PDA

View Full Version : What I have been making....

cuemaker
07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I decided it was time for a new bench to put my new vise on and get rid of the crappy one that I made about 4yrs ago...

I kinda like my work so far so I thought I would share. I still have to make and install drawers into the open space.. gonna have 4 drawers....

I am big in using items I have scrounged or have gotten for free...So far the only things that I have paid for are the E.R. Wagner casters. I will have to buy the drawer slides and some wood for the drawers.. otherwise, everything else I obtained for free (which also dictated the design)
No, vise wasnt free.

What I am kinda surprised with but was hoping for is that the casters are tremendous... When I lock the 2 down, the table doesnt rock or move 1 bit. I was able to put in the bar you see and take my sawzall to it just fine... table didnt budge, rock, sway or anything... way cool.

Thanks for letting me share!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCN2105.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCN2103.jpg

JBL37
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Nice job. Where did you scrounge the vise? Jim

john hobdeclipe
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Is the top aluminum? I've never seen that pattern before. What's it called?

cuemaker
07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Wow, crappy pics... sorry guys...

The top is not aluminum... its a plastic on top.. It was free from my wifes work.. they got all new counter tops and this was an extra section...

I am leery about having a wood/plastic table top, which is one reason I did the carriage bolt thing.. gives me options later without having to start all over.

Sadly JBL37, I had to purchase the vise new....

wierdscience
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Between the vise and the casters I would say he's hit the lottery and now he's rubbing it in:p :)

Ken_Shea
07-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Between the vise and the casters I would say he's hit the lottery and now he's rubbing it in:p :)

Yes he is, I would never do that :D

Good looking work table and sounds like it has more then just a pretty face.

Ken

cuemaker
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Ahem, I paid for those.... the rest was free....LOL

cuemaker
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
(rub) sorry the blurry pics are killing me... 1 more (rub)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSCN2106.jpg

J. R. Williams
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Now that you have the bench finished and the nice looking vise mounted, start over with the vise mounting. A vise should be located so the jaws can hold a long section of material in the vertical position and clear the edge of the workbench.

JRW

cuemaker
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Now that you have the bench finished and the nice looking vise mounted, start over with the vise mounting. A vise should be located so the jaws can hold a long section of material in the vertical position and clear the edge of the workbench.

JRW

hmmmm, i was afraid to get to close to the edge..

Damn your knowledge and common sense! Leave the curtain alone...

wierdscience
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Ahem, I paid for those.... the rest was free....LOL

Okay,it was a scratch off ticket and not the Powerball:)

Nice job anyway.My question is where exactly did you find decent casters?Enquiring minds what to know.

Robin R
07-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Easy fix, if and when you need to hold something vertically in the vice, just chop of the corner to the right of the vice.

cuemaker
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I got them through work....they are E.R. Wagners...

http://www.toolfetch.com/p-274-1f88e5438007d90.shtml

Not my work but shows all the details.. Good price too

darryl
07-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Ok, so now you need an accessory for that rolling bench. Those are what, 4 inch high castors? Make yourself a 4 1/16 high L shaped support that you can slip under the corner where the vice is. Just make it a tad higher than the bottom of the stand so the support actually takes the load of the bench without lifting that corner. It tales the load off the castor on that corner so you can really pound on the anvil part of the vise, or push against the vise without the stand wanting to move around.

My vise is on a fixed bench, but adding a 2x6 vertical support directly under the vise and to the floor greatly improved things.

Ryobiguy
07-16-2009, 04:32 AM
While these one's don't lock, I've been eyeballing them. Good price of $12 for 1000lb rated swivel plate caster, 5" diameter x 2" wide:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009071216280730&item=1-2420&catname=wheels

-Matt

Jim Shaper
07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Ok, so now you need an accessory for that rolling bench. Those are what, 4 inch high castors? Make yourself a 4 1/16 high L shaped support that you can slip under the corner where the vice is. Just make it a tad higher than the bottom of the stand so the support actually takes the load of the bench without lifting that corner. It tales the load off the castor on that corner so you can really pound on the anvil part of the vise, or push against the vise without the stand wanting to move around.

My vise is on a fixed bench, but adding a 2x6 vertical support directly under the vise and to the floor greatly improved things.

I agree with making the foot to take the load, but beating on the "anvil" portion of the vise is a good way to need a new vise.

If you need an anvil, get one. Use the vise as a vise and if you need beating on it, hit it in the jaws where there's some meat to the castings and it can take it.

Farrier anvils are quite cheap new (not as cheap as the HF crap, but they're intended to be used as anvils rather than doorstops). I have a 70#er that does real well for me. The added benefit is that it has little nubs cast into the side which are intended for forming shoes - those things work great for forming bar into tight bends.

So considering that a replacement for my vise costs twice what my anvil cost - it's pretty easy to see I can break two anvils before I need to worry about the expense issue. ;)

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-c-2-10250-combination-vise.aspx?gclid=CM_ooI2X2psCFSANDQodrWe6Ag

Mines a different brand, but this is the same style:

http://www.farriercorral.com/NC-Big-Face-Anvil-70lb-p/anvil%20-%200042.htm

wierdscience
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Jim is right,vises are for holding and clamping,not pressing and beating.Those little flats on a vise are for straightening the pin punch that just bent or flattening out a little piece of sheetmetal.

Use an old chunk of RR iron if nothing else for a place to beat.

GKman
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
... table didnt budge, rock, sway or anything... way cool.

Mine is bolted to the floor and now the floor moves. At 3 score years maybe I should switch to making pool cues.:D

darryl
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Agreed, anvils are for hammering on, vises are for holding things. I use the flat area on my vise for center punching hole locations, flattening sheet materials, assembling press fit things, etc. I guess you have to have a sense of when the application is not suitable and when it is.

My anvil, which is a piece of rail, is so heavy that it's satisfying to pound on it- the job gets done will less effort. Same goes for the vise- the more solid it feels, the better it is to use.