X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidh
    • Dec 2007

O/T not my job. . . . .

how does that go................ "its not my job to run the train, the whistle or the bell, but let the da**thing jump the track and see who catches he**" or something like that ?

does anyone remember exactly ? someone asked me so i figured i;d ask the goup.

davidh
    (the old guy)
  • Forrest Addy
    • Oct 2002

It's not my place to run the train
    The whistle I can't blow.
    It's not my place to say how far
    The train's allowed to go.
    It's not my place to shoot off steam
    Nor even clang the bell.
    But let the damn thing jump the track
    And see who catches hell.

Unattributed

Comment

• Cheeseking
      • Mar 2008

Catchy tune... had my toes tapping

Comment

• tattoomike68

"Your mother does not work here, clean up after yourself"

Comment

• tony ennis

I think this post will explain all

Comment

• Rookie machinist
            • Jul 2007

Heres another one along the same lines I like.

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

Comment

• doctor demo
              • Apr 2006

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first came in.

Comment

• davidh
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                It's not my place to run the train
                The whistle I can't blow.
                It's not my place to say how far
                The train's allowed to go.
                It's not my place to shoot off steam
                Nor even clang the bell.
                But let the damn thing jump the track
                And see who catches hell.

Unattributed

thanks very much, thats the one !

and thanks for the others too !

Comment

• rockrat
                  • Jun 2003

I like the one tony showed. Here is another.

rock~
                  Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

• Weston Bye
                    Contributing Editor
                    • Jun 2002

Not my job

Never liked hearing anyone say that.

Back when I was working in an automation shop as as the Controls Dept. foreman, I asked a pipefitter (technically a controls dept. job) to help me pull some wire into a conduit. He was ahead on his job and waiting for electricians to complete some conduit so he could run some hydraulic lines. He responded, "not my job". The place was not unionized, and had no strict division of labor, and I regularly helped the pipefitters when they needed a hand.

Rather than arguing with him, I told him to go stand out of the way by the wall and suck his thumb, and I would remember him when they asked me for recommendations for the next layoff.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• Cheeseking
                      • Mar 2008

Oh my god those striping pictures are hilarious. The tree branch one made my coffee shoot out my nose.

Fortunately we are non-union and I write my job descriptions with the tag line " and other miscellaneous duties as required"
                      Whenever someone gives me the -not my yob- line I reply

It is now... Thankfully I have a great group of guys who do what it takes to eat our competitors lunch. Being flexible is key and we are able to provide short lead times even in the face of machine breakdowns, people out etc. In fact, my people volunteer to learn new skills and jobs (prolly cause we give them more $ when they do) but hey, that's the REAL american way.

"I can't remember exactly what it is I'm trying to forget"

Comment

• andy_b
                        • Aug 2003

i'm not condoning the line stripers, but one, you don't just stop a line painting machine and get out and toss things out of the way. and two, i'm guessing if the paint head smacks a tree branch you will be in more trouble with your boss than the ribbing the general public gives you for swerving. maybe the state should pay an extra three guys to ride in a truck ahead of the line painter to watch for debris and jump out and move things they come upon. please don't complain about the extra $300k per year of your tax dollars it will cost to pay this team and provide their truck.

andy b.
                        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

• Ryobiguy
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Wes1
                          He responded, "not my job".
                          Rather than arguing with him, I told him to go stand out of the way by the wall and suck his thumb, and I would remember him when they asked me for recommendations for the next layoff.
                          Oh that puts a smile on my face and is something I'll have to remember!

-Matt

Comment

• Guido
                            • Apr 2004

Two Bits

Young bronk working with us was, well, quite adept at 'skating'. No one thought too much of it, especially when the guy quit and moved on to bigger and better things.

Couple of weeks passed and he reappeared at our door, wanting his old job back. Dispatcher asked what had happened at his new and better job. Bronk allowed while doing some real chitty work, that for two bits he'd just quit the job. A nearby co-worker flipped him a quarter.

Dispatcher: 'What did you say?'

Bronk: 'What could I say?'

Dispatcher: 'G'day young man.'

G

Comment

• rockrat
                              • Jun 2003

My favorite is on my tool box on a card about the size of a business card. It reads...

"Nobody around here knows what I do until I don't do it."

Originally posted by andy_b
                              you don't just stop a line painting machine and get out and toss things out of the way. andy b.
                              I cant argue with you but.... Around here there are rules for how this is done. There must be a lead truck with the proper lighting and signage, next is the truck that drops traffic control cones down then is the paint truck followed by another lighted truck with rear crash guard lastly, 1/2 hour back is the chase truck picking up the cones. This is required by the state even on the back roads.

There is absolutely no reason one of the first two trucks (around here that is) cant move the tree branch. BUT!!!! That wouldnt be funny would it? We all know what probably happened. One of the lead trucks decided to see what the paint truck would do. And I'm glad they did. It gives us something to laugh at.

rock~
                              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Working...
                              X