PDA

View Full Version : The Black Hole: Los Alamos salvage yard

SGW
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
There must be something here I need!

http://eecue.com/log_archive/eecue-log-743-The_Black_Hole___Los_Alamos_Laboratory_Salvage_Yar d.html

Liger Zero
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Questions:

Is it open to the public and do you want to go 50/50 on a flatbed rental with me SWG? :D :D :D

rotate
07-17-2009, 02:34 PM
From their website, "They are used for thin-film and spectroscopy research applications which require insane levels of negative pressure."

Why, why, why do people talk about negative pressure? You might as well talk about negative Kelvin. :rolleyes: Looks like for some people 0 isn't very impressive.

laddy
07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Too Coooooool!

Fasttrack
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
From their website, "They are used for thin-film and spectroscopy research applications which require insane levels of negative pressure."

Why, why, why do people talk about negative pressure? You might as well talk about negative Kelvin. :rolleyes: Looks like for some people 0 isn't very impressive.

Yes I enjoyed the paragraph about vacuum technology. Alot of misconceptions there... copper gaskets have to be replaced because of "contamintation" or used because other materials will "fail" mechanically?

:)

Carld
07-17-2009, 03:01 PM
:eek: Visit for hours???:confused: your kidding right, none of us could just spend hours there, it would have to be a 40 hour week for me or more.

mototed
07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
If I went in a place like that, people would think I was comatose. Imagine taking the wife.
"come on let's go, I'm bored, we've been here for at least 30 minutes. Time to leave now:mad: "
Ted

Liger Zero
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
If I went in a place like that, people would think I was comatose. Imagine taking the wife.
"come on let's go, I'm bored, we've been here for at least 30 minutes. Time to leave now:mad: "
Ted

Epic junkgasam-induced stroke. Bet he has to deal with 50-60 cases a week. :D

Falcon67
07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Wish I'd known about that last time we were up there. Hmm - wife is from Albuquerque so it doesn't take much convincing to go on vacation in NM. It's 90 here, 79 up there on the mountain.

Shame - we missed meeting Ed: “Atomic Ed" – June 28, 1923 to Feb 12, 2009"
http://blackholesurplus.com/

QSIMDO
07-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Many years ago there was a place in Norwich, CT called "Alex's".
While not technically oriented like the New Mexico operation, Alex's was located in a railroad car repair facility and had more stuff than the Smithsonian.
You can imagine the size of such a building and the doors that led inside.
The doors were immense.
Once the doors were opened you could look inside and the only way in was a path that disappeared between huge piles of mankind's detritus, piled easily 10' high on the sides.
The MOST amazing thing was that you could ask Alex something like, "Do you have a WW2 German army oil lamp?" and off he'd go.
You'd follow him in, he'd navigate the piles until stopping at a certain point, reach in and pull out your prize. How the hell?.....
Alex is gone many years now and the place cleaned up.
I think we should miss someone like Alex .....and his junk.

Weston Bye
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Up until a few years ago there was a place like that, though lower tech, called the Whoopie Bowl. Between Pontiac and Flint, MI.

Still have some of the junk I bought there.

Liger Zero
07-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Many years ago there was a place in Norwich, CT called "Alex's".
While not technically oriented like the New Mexico operation, Alex's was located in a railroad car repair facility and had more stuff than the Smithsonian.
You can imagine the size of such a building and the doors that led inside.
The doors were immense.
Once the doors were opened you could look inside and the only way in was a path that disappeared between huge piles of mankind's detritus, piled easily 10' high on the sides.
The MOST amazing thing was that you could ask Alex something like, "Do you have a WW2 German army oil lamp?" and off he'd go.
You'd follow him in, he'd navigate the piles until stopping at a certain point, reach in and pull out your prize. How the hell?.....
Alex is gone many years now and the place cleaned up.
I think we should miss someone like Alex .....and his junk.

I think I remember this place or something like it... Big brick building full of machines and bits and pieces.

Kind of like Dock Hardware here in new york.

rockrat
07-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Late one night during my sleepless cable tv watching, I saw a program that wandered through some of these places. They did go through "The black hole" in Az. While it was about 2-3 years ago since I saw the program, it was a fantastic show.

The fellow showing them around was grabbing this and that talking about what the part was. I lost an hour that night just watching and wishing I was there.

What is it about leftover industrial equipment/surplus that get our attention?

If I ever get out there I'll need to stop by.

Kinda reminds me of this place. Abandoned Missile Silo (http://triggur.org/silo/)

rock~

radkins
07-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey I can get excited just rummaging around in an auto salvage yard, a place like that would be fantastic!

While reading about the place I came across something that has me a bit puzzled, forgive me if my understanding of the physics is lacking but the statement "requires insanely high levels of negative pressure" has me wondering what he means. :confused:

lazlo
07-18-2009, 12:10 PM
There must be something here I need!

http://eecue.com/log_archive/eecue-log-743-The_Black_Hole___Los_Alamos_Laboratory_Salvage_Yar d.html

In the eight picture, entitled "Nuclear Equipment", he has a Harbor Freight floor drill press and a 3-in-1 brake/shear, and one of those Chinese 1" belt sanders you see at Home Depot and Lowes :)

Alistair Hosie
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Man I could spend a year in there.:DAlistair