PDA

View Full Version : My Tool Gloat

Ken_Shea
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Edlund 4 Spindle drill station, variable speed from 750rpm to 6000, paid way too much though $75 :D
Also picked up a 55 gal tub of Propylmatte 31, not quite sure what it is but the specifications says it is used for increasing abrasion resistance in and/or reducing the gloss in all types of paint and powder coating, it was not much either and appeared to look as if it could be useful.
An Emerson ES2600RG DC Drive, this was just a pot luck purchase as it looked new and not a lot of money, paid $15.
Any input on this drive is welcomed as I did not find much in my search about it's application.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/1F7-opt.jpg

Ken

Fasttrack
07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone who buys a 55 gallon drum of an unknown chemical because they think it may be useful one day is an "Ace" in my book. Nice job.

The drill station looks pretty slick, too. I thought about buying a four spindle gang drill this summer but I would've had to shell out more than 75 bucks :eek:

Nice gloat!

Mike Nash
07-17-2009, 08:45 PM
The Emerson 2600RG is a single phase regen DC drive. I have a manual (and prints) on it at work, but no PDF. Remind me in a week if you still need it and I'll see what I can do. I'm on vacation next week and I won't be in the office until mid week the week after.

Ken_Shea
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Anyone who buys a 55 gallon drum of an unknown chemical because they think it may be useful one day is an "Ace" in my book. Nice job.

Nice gloat!

:D :D
Not bad stuff really, it's just a micronized polypropylene and from what I read there is no known effect from chronic exposure to this product, but a mask seems like it would be in order.

Ken

Ken_Shea
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
The Emerson 2600RG is a single phase regen DC drive. I have a manual (and prints) on it at work, but no PDF. Remind me in a week if you still need it and I'll see what I can do. I'm on vacation next week and I won't be in the office until mid week the week after.

Absolutely Mike, would love to get a copy of the manual, thank you.
I'll remind you after your return.
Hope you have a good time, albeit short :(

Ken

Cheeseking
07-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Cut the drill at the base into (4) separate units, keep the best sounding one and sell the other three. Or not. Just a thought.

55 gal drum of gunk sounds like a disposal problem to me.:confused:

Good score on the drive. If you don't end up using it you may be able to get a decent buck for it.

Jim Shaper
07-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Rig it up with foot switches for the stations and you'll be ready to rock out some quick part times. Gang drills sell for way more than $75 around here or I'd probably already have one.

I'd personally peen someone who said cut up a good tool. Just warning ya if you're ever in my shop. ;)

barts
07-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Just imagine how nice it'll be to always have a single flute counter sink ready to use after drilling whatever other holes you need - nice!

- Bart

Ken_Shea
07-18-2009, 04:26 PM
55 gal drum of gunk sounds like a disposal problem to me.:confused:

Cheeseking,
It's not a liquid, it's more like fine powder and not a health hazard at all, however I have been warned that it should not be snorted :D

Jim, not going to separate them, that's for sure so no peening will be necessary :D
They have ready access to on/off switches or are you thinking something else with the foot switches?

Bart,
That is exactly my thinking as well, as soon as I get it here next week, it's a heavy booger at a 3000 pound (guesstimate) with the stand I will get it set up and see if it's got problems then I can decide on where and how best to use it.

Ken

Cheeseking
07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I sorta being a little fiesty and not completely serious about cutting it up. But i'll consider myself peened anyhow.:)
Wait. that sounds bad.

Jim Shaper
07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
A gang drill is probably the next best thing to a turret drill. I'd like a turret drill, but I'm probably going the VMC route (robodrill or TM1) instead (when funds permit). That high speed version is a very nice specimen (assuming the machine was properly maintained).

Too many useful tools got sent to china last year (as scrap), so I don't take kindly to people saying cut `em up. We won WW2 with this technology. Think about it. :)

Ken_Shea
07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Finally got it to the shop,

One of my biggest concerns was that since it is wired 440V it may not be 220V compatible, fortunately it can be wired 220 volt, That was very good news!

Found 2 metric reamers underneath the base, in excellent condition, along with numerous drills, many Allen head wrenches, dozens of smaller SHCS and 4 small taps :)

The RPM range is 1000 to 7000, no power feed on any of the heads, no big deal on that at all, just would have been a nice extra.

Now to get some power too it, my biggest concern now is that the bearings may be bad, hopefully not.

Ken

wierdscience
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
That would be from left to right-

Spotting drill,pilot drill,tap drill,tapping head:)

Rule #6 on Darin's rules for moving machines-Always bring a broom,scoop shovel and 55 gallon drum for the gravy:)

Ken_Shea
07-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Rule #6 on Darin's rules for moving machines-Always bring a broom,scoop shovel and 55 gallon drum for the gravy:)

Ha-ha, not far wrong, I have found some neat stuff buried in chips or under bases.

winchman
07-30-2009, 02:46 AM
The only idea better than putting a footswitch on a drill press is putting one each of the four in a gang. You'll really appreciate the added convenience.

Just be careful that having an extra free hand doesn't tempt you to hold something that really needs to be clamped or in a vise.

Roger

Ken_Shea
07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Just be careful that having an extra free hand doesn't tempt you to hold something that really needs to be clamped or in a vise.

Roger

Roger,
Learned that long ago with out a foot switch :D

Ken

Ken_Shea
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Update (kinda)
This unit must have been quite a machine in it's day, I say that in the past tense as the unit has not yet been powered up to see the condition now.

Miss-read the rpm, it is 1250 to 10,000, yes, that's 10,000 RPM !!

Am hoping with some pulley ratio changes that it can be brought down to a more useful 600-5000rpm on at least a couple of them, maybe even lower.

Ken

Fasttrack
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Good Lord! I could burn up a lot of good drill bits in no time flat with that kind of a machine :D

That is really pretty neat. I wasn't sold on gang drills at first, but the more I look at yours the more I think I need to get me a set ... which is bad because I've already got a "project" lathe, shaper and 20" drill press that need to be put back together. :eek:

Ken_Shea
07-30-2009, 01:04 PM
\

That is really pretty neat. I wasn't sold on gang drills at first, but the more I look at yours the more I think I need to get me a set ... which is bad because I've already got a "project" lathe, shaper and 20" drill press that need to be put back together. :eek:

Boy do I know that feeling, it is all I can do not to rip thing apart to make it like new, and then NEVER get it back together. It is all original paint that cleans up pretty darn nice for the age, so that is all that is going to be done, out side of some bearings that could be bad.

Sure would love to find a manual for this thing, got one laying around :D

recoilless
07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
We won WW2 with this technology. Think about it. :)[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. I've been reading "War Baby" last couple of weeks, lots of mention of this stuff.

Ken_Shea
07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
This is wimpy compared the that era :), this unit was built in 1960

Ken

Mike Nash
07-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Absolutely Mike, would love to get a copy of the manual, thank you.
I'll remind you after your return.
Hope you have a good time, albeit short :(

Ken
I had a good time.:) Thanks.

I have the manual scanned and converted to PDF. It's a little over 7 megs.:eek:

PM me an email address that can handle it and I'll send it next week. I left off doing the job until late today (when I remembered) and it finished up about the time I was leaving for home without my thumbdrive being handy.

The PDF of the manual has prints in it, but the component values are not all called out. If you really want prints that do I can try scanning those also, but they are 11x17 or too tiny 8.5x11. Let me know.

Mike