PDA

View Full Version : OT View the space station and shuttle....

Mike Burdick
07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I posted this link before but since it's summer and the nights are cool maybe it will be a good chance for some "exploring" with your children or grand children. Take some time to look at the other stars, planets, etc. while you're at it. How about the galaxy Andromeda?

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

To find the time you can see the shuttle/space station in your area click on the link "sighting opportunities" located at the upper left of the web page.

Astronowanabe
07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
there is another place I use for ISS and shuttle
that also has bunches of other satellite predictions

http://www.heavens-above.com/

kind of fun to stop where ever you are at some time and
start staring intently off into space from some street corner.

people start looking up too ... then an Iridium flare comes along
and freaks them out :D

Evan
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmm. That NASA link crashes IE8 with a Data Execution Prevention Error.

Once it does that it won't even let me open this thread.

Opera works though. Looks like I missed the best pass last night.

Ken_Shea
10-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Here is a very interesting link showing the chronological development of the space station from 1998 to present.

http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm

Evan
10-01-2009, 08:17 AM
A few nights ago my wife stepped out on the deck to check the weather and looked up. There was the ISS making a directly overhead pass. She didn't even have to ask what it was. :D Too bad I didn't have my cameras set up.

japcas
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Evan, could your tracking system on your scope and camera follow the space station? If so, would it be able to get a decent picture? I've always thought that would be cool to get pics of it with equipment like you have without having a $100000 professional setup.

George Bulliss
10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I got lucky early last month and managed to see the shuttle and station, hours after the shuttle had separated. There was a tapered trail coming out of the back of the shuttle that looked a little like a comet trail, except it curved 180 degrees. Someone later told me that the shuttle was venting water but I never checked into it to find out for sure.

All the trees and light pollution at home would have made it almost impossible to see. This night however, I was five miles out in Lake Michigan, a great location for stargazing.

George

Evan
10-01-2009, 09:22 AM
The tracking system on my 6" scope is strictly for cancelling the effect of the rotation of the Earth. I do have a small Meade ETX 60 that has a computerized tracking drive with a satellite following mode but I don't use it much. I really don't like the automated scopes very much. They are too much trouble to set up and if they aren't aligned exactly they won't be on target. Also, once it is set up you must use the computer for all movements or it loses it's position. I suppose there may be some systems with absolute encoders that don't forget where they are pointed but for me the only reason I would want one is for remote control.