PDA

View Full Version : ER32 Collet chuck

Steelmaster
07-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I have been looking for an ER32 Collet chuck, in particular part# 050-110-32600 (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets-Collet-Chucks/ER32-Collets-Collet-Chucks) (just over halfway down the page) from Arc Euro Trade, which is a backplate mounted type (95 mm diameter) rather than an arbor mounted type (have 2 of those, MT2 and MT3).

Arc Euro Trade have been out of stock of this item, would anyone know another source for these?

Thanks.

Timleech
07-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I have been looking for an ER32 Collet chuck, in particular part# 050-110-32600 (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets-Collet-Chucks/ER32-Collets-Collet-Chucks) (just over halfway down the page) from Arc Euro Trade, which is a backplate mounted type (95 mm diameter) rather than an arbor mounted type (have 2 of those, MT2 and MT3).

Arc Euro Trade have been out of stock of this item, would anyone know another source for these?

Thanks.

You could try Chester UK

www.chestermachinetools.com

Tim

Steelmaster
07-19-2009, 08:48 AM
You could try Chester UK

www.chestermachinetools.com

Tim

Thanks Tim, they do indeed list one, 100mm diam, have sent them a request for shipping quote.

Thanks again.

Fred

lazlo
07-19-2009, 09:59 AM

I signed-up for the email notification when we discussed these backplates a couple of months back, and I did get a notification they were in stock about 3 weeks later.

I never got around to ordering it, but they do restock them.

Alistair Hosie
07-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Ask Sir John Stevenson he may be able to give you information as he designs stuff for them as far as I know. They're a good company I have a few of their things inc one of his lordships 5c to er 32 collet adaptors which is Johns design fabulous tool..Alistair

Steelmaster
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I signed-up for the email notification when we discussed these backplates a couple of months back, and I did get a notification they were in stock about 3 weeks later.

I never got around to ordering it, but they do restock them.

I signed up some weeks ago to be advised when they were back in stock, but nothing so far. Perhaps they came and went very quickly.

But it is the chuck I am after not the backplate. I already have a (threaded 39x4mm) backplate fit the chuck to on my 9x20.

lazlo
07-19-2009, 06:10 PM
But it is the chuck I am after not the backplate. I already have a (threaded 39x4mm) backplate fit the chuck to on my 9x20.

We're describing the same item: I wanted the ER-32 faceplate-mounted chuck for my mini-lathe. I was waiting for the 125mm version (part number 050-110-32650):

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/imagecache/d4ef767e-8523-492a-b246-d713e0ddb5df_281x214v2.jpg

franco
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I have been thinking of getting one of these too, but have not done anything about it yet. Little Machine Shop also lists these - I have not checked whether they are in stock.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3046&category=-421559299

franco

lazlo
07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Little Machine Shop also lists these - I have not checked whether they are in stock.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3046&category=-421559299

Someone mentioned that Little Machine Shop carries it last time we discussed it here, but it's $199 at LMS, and 35.95 = $59 at Arc Euro.

Steelmaster
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I have been thinking of getting one of these too, but have not done anything about it yet. Little Machine Shop also lists these - I have not checked whether they are in stock.

franco

Going by the picture, they are not the same item, but certainly would do the same thing.

LMS is $US200+$US42postage=$US242=$A310.

ArcEuro = 34.95ST-VAT+?postage?. Now I don't know what the postage would be but the item alone converts to $A66 vs LMS $A256, so there is a fair bit of difference before postage.

John Stevenson
07-20-2009, 03:46 AM
Arc's postage will be high because they send everything overseas by tracked recordable as they had had so much stuff go missing.

If you log in on their web page it will give you postage prices.
I know that chuck is out of stock but pick something similar to get a price.

.RC.
07-20-2009, 04:28 AM
It is a pity everything is made in ER32....I have a full set of ER40 collets but nothing in ER32..

Steelmaster
07-20-2009, 04:43 AM
It is a pity everything is made in ER32....I have a full set of ER40 collets but nothing in ER32..

Can relate to that:rolleyes: Have a full set of ER25, which I originally bought for my wood lathe for pen making.

Had been thinking about getting another set of collets for the metal lathe anyway, so ER32 it is going to be as I want a through chuck.

oldtiffie
07-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by franco
Little Machine Shop also lists these - I have not checked whether they are in stock.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=-421559299

Someone mentioned that Little Machine Shop carries it last time we discussed it here, but it's $199 at LMS, and 35.95 = $59 at Arc Euro.

Wow,

they sure are cheaper in UK - half or less than the US.

I got mine from LMS and have never regretted it.

It goes on my lathe, my mill (table) and on my rotary tables.

Timleech
07-20-2009, 05:11 AM

Chesters do (certainly did) the same style in ER40, in two sizes. I have one.

Tim

Steelmaster
07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Chesters do (certainly did) the same style in ER40, in two sizes. I have one.

Tim

Yes, they have a 100 and a 125mm, while I was looking that up I noticed they have one for the ER25 as well!

Paul Alciatore
07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Looks like an easy project; perhaps one day or less. You can buy the nuts easily, I purchased an ER-11 nut and made a collet closer for my Unimat. You will have is a lot quicker and it will probably be more accurate if made on the spindle it will be used on.

RKW
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I bought one from LMS quite a while back and use it all the time works well except for the fact that I think I discovered it was out of round. After using it removing the workpiece and later putting it back in the chuck it was out of round. I do not believe this should be the case with collets. Unfortunately it was discovered long after I could have returned/exchanged it. My only solution is to minimize removing the work and treating it like a three jaw chuck. If I can get a replacement from http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk for a lot less than LMS I will do it.

Wow,

they sure are cheaper in UK - half or less than the US.

I got mine from LMS and have never regretted it.

It goes on my lathe, my mill (table) and on my rotary tables.

Steelmaster
07-22-2009, 04:42 AM
Arc's postage will be high because they send everything overseas by tracked recordable as they had had so much stuff go missing.

John, you're certainly right on the delivery from the UK.

I requested a delivery cost from Chester UK and eventually they came back with 55 pounds!
It was a one line reply, so I queried whether that was for the item including delivery or for delivery only. (item cost is about 30 pounds)

I got this reply from one of their "customer service" people

Hi

That is the price for just delivery. If you like you can arrange collection from ourselves for this item. This may work out cheaper.

Kind Regards

Richard

I guess I won't be doing business with Chester UK!

Mind you, after all that they haven't got an ER32 collet chuck in stock anyway, so even personal collection is off the cards.

Timleech
07-22-2009, 05:20 AM

I requested a delivery cost from Chester UK and eventually they came back with 55 pounds!
It was a one line reply, so I queried whether that was for the item including delivery or for delivery only. (item cost is about 30 pounds)

Hi

That is the price for just delivery. If you like you can arrange collection from ourselves for this item. This may work out cheaper.

Kind Regards

Richard

Mind you, after all that they haven't got an ER32 collet chuck in stock anyway, so even personal collection is off the cards.

Chesters do seem to have their very own special approach to customer service, I've crossed swords with them in the past.

Tim

Circlip
07-22-2009, 06:16 AM
A piddling collet chuck???? Chester shmester, thanks to their famous customer service attitude, a mate has just cancelled the purchase of a LATHE from them. The recession must be over cos THEY seem to "Frankly don't give a damn".

Regards Ian.

oldtiffie
07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by John Stevenson

Hi

Kind Regards

Richard

55 UK quid is about AU$110 - for a collet adaptor!! I told you it was expensive from the UK. Use USPS and OZ Post from the USA - if buying from LMS or CDCO.

To give a comparison, the large surface plate (90 Kg) that I was going to get from Sydney to my house 70 Km past Melbourne here in OZ was quoted at AU$90 which I thought was OK.

(I ordered the next size down).

sch
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
I looked into ordering John's 5c/ER32 collet holder from Arc Euro 2-3yrs ago
and the shipping was ~150% of the price. Odd as a 5c collet and nut can't
weigh more than 12-16oz. OTOH www.probikekit.com has excellent sale
prices on bicycle parts and prices are typically post paid to the US from
England. Weird. Most of these are at least what the collet weighs and are bulkier
to boot.

Steelmaster
07-22-2009, 06:31 PM
55 UK quid is about AU$110 - for a collet adaptor!! I told you it was expensive from the UK. Use USPS and OZ Post from the USA - if buying from LMS or CDCO.

To give a comparison, the large surface plate (90 Kg) that I was going to get from Sydney to my house 70 Km past Melbourne here in OZ was quoted at AU$90 which I thought was OK.

(I ordered the next size down).
Yes, I buy a lot of stuff from CDCO and LMS. Their service is second to none, they seem to realise that you don't have a business without customers, so don't give them sarcastic replies!
Problem is, LMS has an 80mm ER32 chuck which sells for $US200, add $US41.95 postage and the total is about $A320. Bit over the top! If you combine it with other stuff it works out better, but don't need too much at present.

USPS Flat Rate is fantastic, use it all the time. Only last Monday I received one of the Flat Rate boxes with stuff from 3 different suppliers in it, I get it sent to a friend in Indianapolis and he repacks and collates. It left the previous Monday, 7 days from the US, wow. Plus they have online tracking, all this for a good sized box, max weight 20lbs costs $US41.95.

Some companies are more interested in making money out of delvery charges than the items they sell, the obviously learned fromEbay sellers!

John Stevenson
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately we don't have a flat rate box service in the UK, instead it's a sliding scale based on weights run by the post office.

Alternative is carriers. An online quote for DHL to send a 10kg parcel 30cm x 30cm x 30cm comes out at 52.08 1 to 2 working days.

Parcel farce which is the parcel arm of Royal Mail wants 91 41 and 42 days to deliver it not tracked [ any guesses on how many go missing ? ] and 132.49 for 4 days tracked.

So before you shoot all UK sellers please check what tools they have at their disposal.

http://www.pfwwsg.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/PriceFinderResults?pageId=pc_sltc_pw_results&keyname=pwPriceFinderResults&catId=24400720

Steelmaster
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately we don't have a flat rate box service in the UK, instead it's a sliding scale based on weights run by the post office.

Alternative is carriers. An online quote for DHL to send a 10kg parcel 30cm x 30cm x 30cm comes out at 52.08 1 to 2 working days.

Parcel farce which is the parcel arm of Royal Mail wants 91 41 and 42 days to deliver it not tracked [ any guesses on how many go missing ? ] and 132.49 for 4 days tracked.

So before you shoot all UK sellers please check what tools they have at their disposal.

http://www.pfwwsg.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/PriceFinderResults?pageId=pc_sltc_pw_results&keyname=pwPriceFinderResults&catId=24400720

John, I am aware that Royal Mail doesn't have Flat Rate, nor does Australia Post.

FYI, I wasn't "shooting" at UK sellers, I was pointing out the economic problems of dealing with them. The problem isn't confined to the UK.

What I was "shooting" at was the sarcastic and unhelpful reply received from one of those UK sellers, a so called "customer service" person.

BTW, I'm guessing that the ER32 chuck in question weights about 2 kgs (based on the LMS 80mm which weighs 2.5lbs).

You say that DHL charges 52.00St for 10kgs, which sort of reinforces the impression that this seller is trying to profit from the delivery charge. How can 2kgs cost 55.00St and 10kgs cost 52.00St?

John Stevenson
07-22-2009, 07:07 PM
DHL - 2 kg on a parcel 10cm x 10cm x 10 cm is 28.83

Parcel for delivery is the best quotes i can get in the UK.

http://www.p4d.co.uk/

After having issues sending gear all over the world I can relate to companies that only want to sell inside their own shores.

We weekly get enquires for CNC kits to be sent all over, I politely refuse as support issues can cost more than a kit value and at the end of the day you finish up with a sore customer and a bad reputation.

tattoomike68
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
The ER collets might work for turning but they suck for milling. You have to tork them down with a freaking 2 lb sledge hammer to keep them in place. I still would not trust them for turning, I like to use too much feed rate.

last time I used an ER collet set up I wanted to take the whole rack and fling it in the scrap heap. I had to use them for two years at a shop and just hated them. end mills pull right out and destroy parts. I would put spot weld on endmills to keep them from pulling out. hell spot weld the endmill in the collet and give it a fling when done.

Total junk if you ask me, they should give you a free hammer when you buy them. (I know all of Europe loves them but oh well)

John Stevenson
07-23-2009, 04:11 AM
That's something worth knowing,
Tattoomike 1 - Rest of Europe and Eurasia 0

oldtiffie
07-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Here in this part of OZ as well John.

I have ER-32 everywhere. I have machines and tools with C5 and I use a C5>ER-32 adaptor. My lathe (MT4) and mills (3) all have MT3 spindle tapers. I have never had an ER chuck or an MT3 taper slip on my machines - perhaps I don't thrash or drive them hard enough - and I won't be any time soon. Or perhaps I should not, must not or cannot on my "China" machines, which I am the first to admit that while they are very capable they are not "production" machines, but would be ideal in a small "maintenance" shop.

It means that all of my tools are interchangeable between machines - lathe included.

There are some R8 collets here, but from what I've seen the majority are 2 or 3MT. Of course there are many mills etc. - some "old American - and other - iron" with NMTB 30, 40 and 50 tapers as well as some B&S.

I rather thought we are - or should be - talking about typical machines used in a typical HSM shop where stuff can vary from the very small to the moderately large in what is predominantly a "retirement" or "non-production" demographic.

John Stevenson
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Large Aerospace company up the road from me has everything on ER32's with a bit of ER40's

Making wing spars for Airbus and Boeing, most of the general gear is for Boeing.
Many jobs run lights out on exotic and expensive materials.

Unbelievable silly of them to trust a system that doesn't work for one person isn't it..........

Circlip
07-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Burangon a minute, weren't collets supposed to be used for repeatable concentricity in machining?? They seem to have been bastardised into being a quick fix for every diametrical holding problem. Can't beat T'bloody Auto lok's for cutters.

Regards Ian. :D

S_J_H
07-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Mike, I have to wonder if there is something wrong with your ER32's for you to have such a bad experience with them?

On my machines which are small, the er32's are fantastic with exceptional holding power and very low runout. I have had endmills pull out of my r8 collets but never with my er32's which are ETM brand.

I use them for both tool and work holding.
Steve

Steelmaster
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Just an update on the high delivery cost for a ER collet chuck.

After the "rather high" quote from Chesters, coupled with their rather sarcastic approach to customer service, I did some further shopping around.

Found one at Chronos, about the same price for the chuck, delivery charge quoted at 18pounds, ie less than a third of what Chesters wanted (55 pounds:eek:).
This was for international (tracked) courier delivery.
Ordered it on 11/9/09, just got a phone call from the courier company telling me they will be delivering tomorrow morning.
Thank you Chronos (not all UK companies need to make extortionate profits on their delivery charges) and thank you DPD for such a quick delivery.

Allan Waterfall
09-17-2009, 05:27 AM
A piddling collet chuck???? Chester shmester, thanks to their famous customer service attitude, a mate has just cancelled the purchase of a LATHE from them. The recession must be over cos THEY seem to "Frankly don't give a damn".

Regards Ian.
I once bought a 626 mill from them and sent it back,not only was it damaged but the motor they'd put on would not even line up with the pulleys,the ways had pyramids of cast iron drillings on them where they'd fixed the DRO scales on,one of the collets they sent had obviously been left outside in the rain to weather judging by the amount of rust on it.

That's just a few of the numerous faults.

Their after sales service is totally rubbish and they don't return calls.Your mate did the right thing by cancelling his order.They have a total lack of inspection on what they send out and are essentially just box shifters.

Allan

EVguru
09-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Thank you Chronos (not all UK companies need to make extortionate profits on their delivery charges) and thank you DPD for such a quick delivery.

I use Chronos quite a bit and get a 5% off.

Most of their prices include delivery to the UK, so that's the discount for calling in. Since they're only 2 miles down the road I can actually call in on the way to work. They have a 'Clearance table' with seconds, returns, end of line etc. and that can throw up some real bargains. My 'Align' table drive for the Bridgeport clone cost just 55. It said on the box 'Works in one direction only', the important word to me being 'works' and it only took half an hour to centre the roll pin in the switch gear fork and have it working in both directions.

Steelmaster
09-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Yesterday someone from DPD rang me to confirm the delivery address and advised me that it would be delivered today between 8 and 2 today.

Lo and behold at 1345 the carrier drove up and delivered the 100mm ER chuck, and what a beauty it is, such value for money even with the delivery cost factored in.

So from the date of ordering (11/9) it was delivered within a week, very impressive service Chronos and DPD, I've had to wait longer for deliveries from Sydney!

We all grumble when we don't get the service we expect, I thought it only right to give credit where credit is due.

derekm
09-19-2009, 03:11 AM
I have a chester ER40 chuck and a gloster tools ER40 chuck.
It took 3 attempts to the get a chuck of sufficient quality from Chester... which is still bad enough for me eventually replace it.

Timleech
09-19-2009, 03:25 AM
I have a chester ER40 chuck and a gloster tools ER40 chuck.
It took 3 attempts to the get a chuck of sufficient quality from Chester... which is still bad enough for me eventually replace it.

Was that a backplate mount chuck or taper mount? I've got a backplate mounted ER40 from Chesters & it's OK, maybe I was lucky & you weren't. I do have experience of their own special approach to customer service, though :rolleyes:

Tim

Circlip
09-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Chesters can't be all bad, I know of one guy who spent nigh on 20K with them and swears BY them, (Not AT them) strange how different people have different stories??

Regards Ian