PDA

View Full Version : Dividing plate query...

Davek0974
07-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi all, just a quickie,

when using dividing plates, do you count the hole that the pin is in or is it x amount of clear hloes?

In other words, if the formula says 3 turns plus 7 holes, is it 7 holes or 8 holes between the sector arms?

Many thanks

Dave

Rustybolt
07-19-2009, 12:57 PM
three complete turns from the hole you started in, ending at that same hole, and then count seven holes after.

TGTool
07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
... or count the spaces between holes and stop at the hole after the last space if that makes more sense to you.

Davek0974
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, thanks

Forrest Addy
07-19-2009, 04:40 PM
The hole the pin is in is the origin for the next index move. Therefore its numerical value for counting is zero. The next hole is one etc and the last is the number you are counting to. Actually you're counting spaces but the traditional way of referencing is X turns and Y holes. .

lane
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
DO not count where you are ,But where you are going . Because you are all ready some where . So to move further you must go to the next hole and start counting.1-2-3 and so on. Like stepping off a distance . You first step is 1 then 2 .

John Stevenson
07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Why didn't someone tell me this before I made an Alfa Romeo half shaft with 41-1/2 splines?

When I told the guy I learnt some new words that day.

He then made a new shaft and sent it away to this super duper high priced company who I was told was better then me and they did the same !!!

lynnl
07-19-2009, 11:05 PM
That should be no problem. Just cut 41-1/2 splines in the mating piece.
I'm surprised at you John, for not figuring that out! :rolleyes:

lakeside53
07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I think I'll put my divider plates back in the box.... :eek: Surely I can put an LCD and PIC chip on the damn thiing...:(

oldtiffie
07-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi all, just a quickie,

when using dividing plates, do you count the hole that the pin is in or is it x amount of clear hloes?

In other words, if the formula says 3 turns plus 7 holes, is it 7 holes or 8 holes between the sector arms?

Many thanks

Dave

Dave,

I've just seen this post or else I'd have answered it sooner - sorry.

Counting the holes is like measuring on a rule.

The start point (where you are at) is "zero" and where you want or need to be is 7 holes further on.

In your case, if the hole you start from is say the left one, bring the left indexing arm up to it, hold it steady and bring the right indexing arm up to the right side of the 7th. hole further on.

Your arms will span eight holes but with the "pin" in the left one, you will only be able to move seven holes clock-wise.

It seems to be a convoluted explanation - but try it and you will soon "see" it.

The important thing is that the worm turns 7/40 of a turn for the 7 holes that you move the handle between the indexing arms.

Davek0974
07-20-2009, 03:59 AM
It all makes perfect sense now, many thanks for the helpful answers.

Just in case anyones interested, i've grafted the dividing plate set from my cheap 6" table onto my overweight 12" table in preparation to cut some large gears.
http://www.davekearley.co.uk/LinkPics/DSCN1071.jpg

Heres the bits..
http://www.davekearley.co.uk/LinkPics/DSCN1072.jpg
Part B slides over the collar and holds the plates, Part A screws onto the shaft stub and is secured by screw C, this holds the arm and plunger.

It all works very well together.

Dave