PDA

View Full Version : Big Print version of Machinery Handbook

Boucher
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Getting old and blind is the pits, but like birthdays you may not like them anymore, they are better than the alternative. That said my Machinery Handbook is about as difficult as my Vernier caliper without B&L Cheaters. The newer Big print version is getting nearer the top of my want list. What are your recommendations regarding it and the CD version?

Jim Shaper
07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I'd go for the large format version without being able to try the software version on for size before purchase. Having had use of the larger version at school, it's quite nice.

My reluctance to the cd is due to the naming issues of things you're uncertain of. Without an intelligent search included, the software could prove more cumbersome than flipping pages.

oldtiffie
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi Byron and Jim.

I can relate to that matter.

I am 72 (and a half!!) and my eyes are not that bad but I do have trouble at times with MHB "small print".

I had a version of MHB that I bought when I was an Apprentice about 55 years ago (cost an arm and a leg!!) and I treasured it. It was at my bench or machine or office all the time. It was oiled-soaked and a bit "dog-eared" - but it worked. I made the mistake of giving it away to a "good cause" (I think) about 20 years ago.

I could see that I needed another one so I made the mistake of buying the "Tool Box" (small print and thin paper) version (27th. Edition) but thankfully I had enough luck (I must have lacked brains after nominating the small-print version) to have ordered the CD version with it.

I can use a magnifying glass if needed (sometimes) and it works OK. The real PITA is the thin paper where the "back" image on a page seems to "bleed through" (to the "front") - so I put a sheet of black paper behind the page I am reading (rarely needed).

The real PITA is copying a page either on a photocopier or a scanner as it may take several tries. The "black paper at the back of the page" trick is essential.

The CD version indexing is a bit cryptic - as is the "search", but as the CD is a copy of the printed version, I find it in the printed version (page, topic etc. from the printed version index) and then find it almost instantly on the CD version on my computer.

The CD version is better than sliced bread (sex? at my age? forget about it!!) as I can get the page up on the screen (it runs under the Adobe Acrobat Reader) and enlarge it to suit myself or else I can print a page or "screen capture" it to a file.

MHB doesn't change much between versions so on a cost basis I'd suggest getting the print (preferably the "large" version) and the CD as a set.

I have not been able to get past the "lock" and have found that the "key" is very good indeed. If you are going to buy a used set, make sure you get the "key" and ring/contact the publishers of MHB and see if the "key" is transferable.

The large print and CD versions together open up a whole new world.

I have tried running the CD version under pdf file readers other than Adobe and it won't work. It must be "tied" to Acrobat. Its the only pdf file/s that I use Acrobat for - I use "Fox it" as a pdf reader everywhere else.

Tyro 001
07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
My reading glasses are in the 2.5 to 3.0 range. The large print version is real life saver. Still have to use the reading glasses, but I can easily read it; whereas I can barely read the toolbox version of the book.

.RC.
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
It must be "tied" to Acrobat. Its the only pdf file/s that I use Acrobat for - I use "Fox it" as a pdf reader everywhere else.

Funny, my digital version runs on foxit very well...But my digital copy was cheap...very very cheap ;)

Don't worry I have a print version as well which I paid for. No way I am going to pay extra for a 2nd identical copy...

Your Old Dog
07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
...............I have not been able to get past the "lock" and have found that the "key" is very good indeed. If you are going to buy a used set, make sure you get the "key" and ring/contact the publishers of MHB and see if the "key" is transferable........................

I would be very careful with the protection on the disk. I bought what I thought was the backup copy off ebay and I'm convinced it smoked my computer. They advertised on the disk that it would damage my computer. I sent the disk back for a refund but it was too late for my machine.

lakeside53
07-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I have the large print verison.. and.. I STILL need my reader glasses! :cool: Another advantage: greasy finger marks obscure less of the important info.

I did look at a small print verison once, but never saw any words or figures:D

kendall
07-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Thought doing anything like that was made illegal back in the Atari and C=64 days?

Ken.

Tim Clarke
07-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Bought the large print version about 10 years ago. Now that my readers are up to 2.0, Im glad I did. Good investment. I don't have a clue about the other versions, but I do like the one I have.

TC

wierdscience
07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
The older editions are more relivant than the newer one for HSM IMHO.

So far as the reading problem I have an old friend who uses a webcam and computer for reading.He sets the book to the left of the key board under the cam and reads it off the monitor.You

can get any size you need that way:)