PDA

View Full Version : The Cloud

aostling
07-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm a happy user of most of what Google offers, especially Gmail, Maps, and SketchUp. But this plan to put all data storage online could be a threat to personal security: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/opinion/20zittrain.html?_r=1&ref=global. I trust it won't be imposed on us, and that we will be able to use our PCs and Macs as usual.

Evan
07-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Well, it won't be practical or even possible for everyone. My uplink rate is at best twice as fast as dialup. I'm too lazy to do the math but I have over a terabyte of data, the larger portion as hi resolution photos.

It's going to get a lot worse fast. I am expecting my new camera any day now and it does HD quality 30 fps video ( 1152 x 644 ).

aostling
07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I am expecting my new camera any day now and it does HD quality 30 fps video ( 1152 x 644 ).

Nice. My new Panasonic Lumix ZS3 also does 30 fps HD video, but I haven't used this yet. The files are too big to share via email. I guess the best method for sharing is YouTube --is this what you will use, too?

lazlo
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Allan, you realize that all of Google's tools phone home to update their online profile of you, right?

At most big corporations, you're not allowed to install Google Desktop, because it phones home with the list of all the stuff it's cataloged. It specifically says that it does in the Terms of Service.

tony ennis
07-20-2009, 01:18 PM
The Cloud is a nice place to store non-confidential documents. If you must store something personal, encrypt it first.

Evan
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Alan,

I have some plans that may or may not work for the camera. It's a Canon TX1 and will work with the CHDK software which also includes tweaks for the video. I am hoping that the advertised low light sensitivity will be sufficient to record the aurora if we ever have another sunspot cycle. It is supposed to be capable of ISO 1600 and CHDK can boost that so I suspect it will work. Canon is selling off the new old stock at a really good price at their online store. The camera is only $250 cdn right now. I will do a review here when I have a chance to play with it. It also fits in a shirt pocket and takes 7 megapixel stills using a CCD sensor, not CMOS. As well it has an all stainless steel case. NO PLASTIC. The camera is designed to do both video and stills at absolute maximum quality. It also serves as a voice memo device. The LCD viewfinder is apparently easily visible even with direct sunlight shining on it.

The video at full resolution generates a little more than 1 megabyte of data per second. :eek:

loose nut
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
When has any corporation had anyone best interest, other then there own, at heart.

They will use this to screw us into the ground, it might be free to day but once everyone is hooked it will become costly. This is a common business model were making money without doing anything is the goal.

P.S. this "net centric" idea was suppose to take off back in the '90's but it didn't fly then, might not now ether.