PDA

View Full Version : Homemade apple picker

Dawai
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIyknONCnKY

Homemade apple picker. Tig welded from 3/8" stainless. Stainless razor blades. Bent with a strap bender and tig welded up while wearing shorts and flip flops.. (ya think I'd learn huh?)

mark61
07-22-2009, 06:28 AM
I made a picker out of 1/4" brazing rod. A basket with fingers you can put a wooden handle on.

mark61

Dawai
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Not gotten to use this yet. The neighbors are still moving out of the rental trailer where the apple tree is. (kinda like stealing watermelons??)

A basket, would you not have to raise it and lower it each time to collect the fruit? Yes, a pair of hooks above the sheperds hook would work as well as the razor blade, maybe better.
Them razors kinda worry me, just installing it on the handle was tricky to keep fingers on hands.

boslab
07-23-2009, 03:36 AM
have you seen the escape tube things that are like a long sock, bottomless i hope, jump in and the trip down is slowed, could polish them on the way down.
no just joking, good job hope you diddent put the nasty little itty bitty black craters in your paws [flip-flop rash] your right we never learn
my apple tree is a puny 6' tall, and i love apple pie, not the shop bought crap [sugar pie with apple fragrence]
well done mate, hope your waistline dont suffer as a result [mine does]
mark

JBL37
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Neat Job Dave. Last tool like that was at my Grandfather's home. The pole was wooden, and the fruit catcher was a tin can. Thanks for bring back some good menories. Jim

Dawai
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs130.snc1/5580_1085288374600_1298124187_30202391_5970858_n.j pg
Well it works.. I have sweat dripping off my nose and eyebrows tho.. Cut one, ten fall.. I did about a hundred general-blocks to keep from being beaned.

Apple jelly, apple pie, apple pie filling in jars.. apple juice.. apple.... (is this where Forrest Gump went to sleep??)

OHH, dat be 2lbs cucumbers from the 4 plants, about five pounds bell peppers, about ten pounds tomatoes near red four yellow crook neck squash and two zucchinis (all them near died).. THE cucumber vines in the back have what the zucchini had.. dying leaves.. Tomato plants are rocking, thou the ones in the buckets are dying.. I replanted them into the dirt last night, no small feat.. but.. stubborn as a goat still..

Wide open, no brakes running down a dead end dirt road. If the old heart quits.. let it.. I am ready.. I'll be the one having fun till then tho.

Dawai
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Ran 13 gallons of apples through the JUICEMAN (Jack Lalane) juicer.. I smelled a hot motor a time or two. (I went back after another 5 gallon bucket)

Took the juice, 8 quarts of it and made 8 quarts of jelly. It is kinda runny, but kept in the fridge it will be just stiff enough to get out of the jar.

IN retrospect about the apple picker?? okay.. a large basket would be useless to get between the branches of the tree.. THou the knife works great. Better would be two loops, vertical, one side with a sleeve to direct apple down to the ground under control, other side hinges with hooks on top to pivot in, pull apple down where it runs down sleeve..

In other words, total redesign. When you think with your hands, these things happen. Thou the current one works ohh so good, I want better. What do you expect from a old chopper builder? I used to have a wall full of sissy bars I had made.