PDA

View Full Version : rotary table quality

michael3fingers
07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
hello everyone

I just brought a rotary table from india its a 75mm horizontal / vertical one.

I figured that the fact it was under $200 was because it was so small but I assumed there would be a moderate amount of build quality.

there is not, the table has about 1mm rock in it and there is about 1.5 backlash(probably more)

are they all generally this loose?

thanks for your imput.

sidneyt
07-21-2009, 09:49 AM
A 3" rotary table is pretty tiny. You must have a micro mill to use such a small sized table. I am sure you are going to get comments about the fact that your rotary table was made in India ...."what did you expect?" type of comments. There are plenty of rotary tables available for a range of prices. I purchased an 8" model of this rotary table a couple of years ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-HOR-VERT-ROTARY-TABLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ390040905159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item5ad03fe5c7&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A1|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1| 294%3A25

JTS (the seller) also has a 4" model, but I think it does not offer a hole through the center like the larger models. But, both the 6" and 4" are under $200 even with shipping. There are also other sellers on Ebay that carry similar models.

Return the one you got and do a little research on a better model. There have been a number of threads on rotary tables on this and other forums.

michael3fingers
07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
here in australia something like that 6incher would set me back about $500.

Maybe I can bribe someone with some beer or something and have em send it to me via airmail?

hardtail
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
India seems to be by and large the worlds next poor quality big manufacturer.......they've all had their bouts, Tiawan which used to be similar now generally makes some good stuff, Chinas still hit and miss. If you can return it do so and look for Phase II's smallest table for a good comprimise of price and quality, Enco usually flogs em cheap.

See your in Oz........tiff should chime in w some help............

michael3fingers
07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
thanks for the feed back guys

oldtiffie
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
here in australia something like that 6incher would set me back about $500.

Maybe I can bribe someone with some beer or something and have em send it to me via airmail?

Michael.

Here is the price for the 6" unit in OZ - about AU$700 (= AU$700 x 0.8 ~ US$560) - "all up" with the indexing arms, tail-stock, front-mounted chuck etc. You should be able to get 10% off easily.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R006

They are "Vertex" here in OZ and else-where as well as "Phase 11" in the US. They are about as good as you will get for the money for a new item. I would not even consider a rotary table less than 6" (150mm).

There are some members from OZ here who are dab hands at searching the good deals out. Ringer, Bob Ward and Steelmaster are but three - try PM-ing them and ask their advice. It may well be cheaper to buy a new item than it will be to fill that lot up with beer!!!

michael3fingers
07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I am being a cheapskate moneys pretty sparse lately.. I will keep hunting around I am in no hurry for one at the moment, toyed with the idea of making one but that sounds bloody hard, I made a non geared one just recently and it was just a pain in the butt.

thanks again

JCHannum
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
They are "Vertex" here in OZ and else-where as well as "Phase 11" in the US. They are about as good as you will get for the money for a new item. I would not even consider a rotary table less than 6" (150mm).

Vertex is available in the US, and it is not the same as Phase II. Phase II is chicom, Vertex is a Taiwan manufacturer, and is of a much higher quality level.

Rotary table size should be based on the size of the tooling it is to be used on. A 6" table would be way too large for Sherline sized machines for instance.

oldtiffie
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Jim.

No one has ever actually said that and cleared it up that way that I've seen.

It seemed to be inferred and no one took issue with it so I just accepted it.

The Artful Bodger
07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Michael, I too have been disappointed at bits I have bought from India, motorcycle parts specifically, however after sitting down and thinking about it (with a beer in hand of course) I have in most cases been able to figure out a way to 'finish' their job and get something satisfactory from it.

Can you machine the surface(s) that allow the rocking? Can you shim the screw to kill the backlash?

PTSideshow
07-21-2009, 04:22 PM
India is fast becoming the new China for poor quality in castings and in finish work. Some of the brass dust catchers at the local flea market had so much iron in them they where magnetic enough to pull a chain hanging magnet to their surface. As has happened in the past with Japan and Taiwan. And is now happening with the Chicom material. With the economy being what it is and the imports being cut off at the order desk at a standstill. They will have to improve the level or they will be facing outsourcing as we have.
The suppliers and plants are chopping up robot equipment at the local scrap yard on a daily basis.:eek:

Twmaster
07-30-2009, 03:15 AM
I just bought one of those little 3" Indian tables and am quite pleased with it. No rock mounted either vertical or horizontal on my Taig mill table. It does have some backlash but for the work I do it's not an issue. For the price of $56 (after a 20% off coupon) I am very happy with it.

I suspect the quality is like with the Chicom stuff. Hit or miss. Although I think it overall looks better than most of the Chicom stuff.

--
Mike N

Of course YMMV, batteries not included, contents hot, sender of this message was packaged in plant that processes peanuts.

Circlip
07-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Bit late for a whinge Michael, you first ask where to buy a worm and wheel, then about converting a gearbox and then go to India to bring one back 'cos it's difficult to make one. :rolleyes: Ain't life just a bitch.

Regards Ian, ---- A whinging Pom.

J Tiers
07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
That's a "counterfeit". Looks like a rotary table, but isn't one.

I continue to be amazed at the quality of imports.... or in some cases the screaming lack of decent quality.

A rotary table might be hard to turn, it might have horrible finish issues, it might be somewhat off perfectly flat and parallel on top of the table vs the bottom.

But, one thing you WOULD expect, and that is that the table would be steady, i.e. not shake that much. that is such a basic issue that you'd think it would be important to the lowest cost unit.

Many things are like that. Years ago I bought some MT2 to jacobs chuck adaptors from J&L. They turned out to be from India. The threads were wrong, the seating surface would have been smoother if it had been made on a wood lathe with a gouge. They were non-functional counterfeits, they might as well have been a brick in a box..

You would think that any product, even a cheap one, would at least generally fit into the place it is supposed to go....... Threads might be loose, off center a bit, etc, but it would fit and function, if not as well as a better one.

Who thought it was a good idea for the cheap product to not function AT ALL in the place it is intended to go?

That's not a cheap product, it is a counterfeit.

Circlip
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Bet you can buy a fully functional AK47 for about the same price in India.

Regards Ian.

JCHannum
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Bit late for a whinge Michael, you first ask where to buy a worm and wheel, then about converting a gearbox and then go to India to bring one back 'cos it's difficult to make one. :rolleyes: Ain't life just a bitch.

Regards Ian, ---- A whinging Pom.

Ian;
You might want to check the dates of the posting. Michael posted the worm & wheel and gear box threads after this one.

michael3fingers
07-31-2009, 12:50 AM
SirClit;)

Its a little late for you to be having a windge because my rotab plans were made after this was posted..

I have just picked up 2 6inch round castings and I have my gearbox conversion well on its way.

Nothings ever too hard, I dont give up on things because they are hard. I only give up once I have done it and it dont work :)

Circlip
07-31-2009, 06:32 AM
" I only give up once I have done it and it dont work " :o

oldtiffie
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
SirClit;)

Its a little late for you to be having a windge because my rotab plans were made after this was posted..

I have just picked up 2 6inch round castings and I have my gearbox conversion well on its way.

Nothings ever too hard, I dont give up on things because they are hard. I only give up once I have done it and it dont work :)

Michael, that "SirClit" was a classic - and not very nice - even if Ian is a Pom and an ardent England cricket supporter (as, I believe are all of Yorkshire).

I do hope that if it applies to you that you are not subjected to female circumcision as a remedy.

In the even that that is to happen, my guess is that Ian aka "Circlip" aka SirClit would like to be first in the queue with first option and a very blunt and jagged blade.

If Ian does as he may wish to, it is fair to say that your chances of bowling any maidens over and being a big hit in the process will be considerably diminished.

Circlip
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Eloquent as ever Tiff, No, not all Yorkshiremen support wife beaters, trouble is, we have one win and a bye and it's all over, good to see the Aus. spirit is surfacing, AGAIN.

Blunt tools?? Naaaaa, you only cut yourself with those. I just put the miss spullin down to illiteracy.

Regards Ian. :)