PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Electric torches

garyphansen
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
In the US we call them flash lights. I believe our UK friends call them Electric Torches. What are they called in Canada? Gary P. Hansen

Evan
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
"See in dark stick"

Flash light. :D

Timleech
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
In the US we call them flash lights. I believe our UK friends call them Electric Torches. What are they called in Canada? Gary P. Hansen

We usually take the 'electric' as read. Nobody uses flaming torches much nowadays, even in these primitive parts.

We also have 'Hand Lamps' which are big chunky torches.

Tim

Doc Nickel
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Must be something wrong with my flash light- it doesn't flash. It just comes on steady.

Doc.

garyphansen
07-21-2009, 04:22 PM
So far I am not smart enough to understand your answers. So let me re phrase the question. What are the most common name in Canada for what we in the US call a flashlight? Is if flashlight or something else? Gary P. Hansen

Willy
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Is if flashlight or something else? Gary P. Hansen

No it's flashlight...not "something else".:D

Although I've got a flashlight that is something special.
A 1 watt led spot lamp with a focused beam that uses 4 AA batteries.
It's been going for over a year now on the same set of batteries, and I use it a lot.

Cecil Walker
07-21-2009, 04:54 PM
The universal name for the flashlight should be: Tube for dead battery storeage.

darryl
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Around here it's often called 'effin flash light'.

Dumb name, flash light. Like driveway- somewhere that you park. Or parkway- somewhere that you drive. Or highway- what's that mean- the rest of the roads are lowways?

Or motorcycle. I am seeing more of them these days- the rest should be called enginecycles.

Gimmy the effin flashlight, I can't see where the oil's leaking out of my motorcycle. :)

38_Cal
07-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Gimmy the effin flashlight, I can't see where the oil's leaking out of my motorcycle.

Must be a Triumph or Beezer!

David
Montezuma, IA

Weston Bye
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm kind of partial to the term Galvanick Lucifer, invented by Neal Stephenson in his novel Cryptonomicon. Vaguely described as akin to an arc lamp powered by some sort of marvelously corrosive liquid. As spectacular as it's name.

miker
07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Magic stick that holds the Sun!

Rgds

Evan
07-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Boy, you guys don't keep up. Flash lights now don't just flash, they do freekin light shows in RGB colour. Never was the term FLASH light more deserved.

Highpower
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
In the US we call them flash lights. I believe our UK friends call them Electric Torches. What are they called in Canada? Arc welders??? :D

danlb
07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
They call them flashlights because....

The early lights used inefficient filaments and carbon batteries. The combination allowed resulted in a device that would shine "brightly" for a second and fade out.

My "flashlight" is the size of my thumb. It's far brighter than a Maglite. It's almost as bright as the headlight on my car. It has 4 brightness levels and will flash an SOS as well as a fast strobe that is blinding. I use it daily and change the battery every few months.

Light Chucker
Dark Sucker
Magic Wand
The Illuminati
Dark Chaser
Shadow Caster

There are more names, but I like those.

Dan

www.candlepowerfoums.com ... All you ever want to know about flashlights.

J Tiers
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Nay, sirs, the term "flashlight" is proper and appropriate.

That little button that is on most any good quality old "flashlight" is for , well, flashing the light........ Code communication, seeing when you need to without eating batteries, whatever. It "flashes" the light.

The fact that it also has a switch to KEEP the light "on" is immaterial.:D

Paul Alciatore
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I've got one that flashes. To paraphrase James Garner as Pappy; red, white, your choice. And it was pre LED so no electronics, just a flasher button.

aostling
07-22-2009, 12:47 AM
I've been meaning to ask a similar question: in this country we call the common writing implement a ball-point pen, but in New Zealand it's a biro. What is it called in Norway?

[edit] forgive me -- that seemed mildly amusing when I posted it, but I now see it as an indication that I've gone "around the bend." I drove twelve hours today starting in Santa Rosa and now I'm in Bend, Oregon, so this is true both literally and figuratively.

danlb
07-22-2009, 01:21 AM
I've been meaning to ask a similar question: in this country we call the common writing implement a ball-point pen, but in New Zealand it's a biro. What is it called in Norway?

[edit] forgive me -- that seemed mildly amusing when I posted it, but I now see it as an indication that I've gone "around the bend." I drove twelve hours today starting in Santa Rosa and now I'm in Bend, Oregon, so this is true both literally and figuratively.

Since Biro is a pen company, that sounds like a case of a popular brand becoming a generic term.

How strange. Yesterday I was in Roseburg Or (just south of Bend), and today I'm 30 miles south of Santa Rosa. Yes, it's a loooong drive.

Dan

ligito
07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Around here it's often called 'effin flash light'.

Dumb name, flash light. Like driveway- somewhere that you park. Or parkway- somewhere that you drive. Or highway- what's that mean- the rest of the roads are lowways?

Or motorcycle. I am seeing more of them these days- the rest should be called enginecycles.

Gimmy the effin flashlight, I can't see where the oil's leaking out of my motorcycle. :)

Stop buying Harley and old Brit bikes.:D

Evan
07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
BTW, DX now sells hand held 1/2 watt lasers so the name torch is also very appropriate. :eek: