PDA

View Full Version : How secure is your shop?

Your Old Dog
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
So I'm nosing around on Craigslist for tools available in the local area.....

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/1277829955.html

Carld
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Now that is a creative way to get money from your ex and land in jail. What are people thinking when they try stuff like that? They must be drunk or on drugs, how stupid can people get? On the other hand, look around, their everywhere.

It wouldn't take much to get in any home or garage. A hard kick on most doors will do and most rooms have windows.

rockrat
07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
If it was the ex-wife then it might as well have been an inside job. My wife knows where everything sits, the keys, the code for the alarm, etc. This is why I try hard to not make her my ex.

Many things can be changed (and would if it happened) as well should be changed when partners split up.

If it was not her, this may be a good reminder that we should all take some time to do two things in our shops.

First, security. Its a tough economy right now. Entrance doors, locks, stuff sitting outside, walk around the outside and think like a thief. No matter what you do it will never be impossible for things to get stolen. But you want to make it more difficult so that it takes time.

Second, safety. As your looking around the shop try to identify any safety issues. Rags too close to the welding area or too much clutter around the saw. I nearly fell onto a pile of steel the other day due to a hunk of rebar laying in a bad place.

Thanks for the reminder YOD.

rock~

rancherbill
07-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Boy, if I was the guy that had bought that stuff I would keep my mouth shut. I would be in possession of stolen property. I would not have criminal liability, however, I would have to give it back to the legal owner, the Craigslist poster, and try to recover my money from the wife.

She sounds like a b**** and I would not want to try to get money from her. :eek: :eek: :)

gary350
07-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Call the police and file a theft report. Have them arrested. Get your revenge. What makes people think they can take something that does not belong to them.

madman
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
In Courts Judges Always give em a brek Just like crooked cops they usually get away with it. You read about it all the time in the papers. makes me sick. Neighbours ex wife cleaned him out riding lawnmower washer dryer fridge stove EVERYTHING was gone when he got home. Police didnt do a thing? Oh well tghere you go. The laws a ass just like the courts. Big Joke. Why even have them ???

Mcgyver
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
In Courts Judges Always give em a brek Just like crooked cops they usually get away with it. You read about it all the time in the papers. makes me sick. Neighbours ex wife cleaned him out riding lawnmower washer dryer fridge stove EVERYTHING was gone when he got home. Police didnt do a thing? Oh well tghere you go. The laws a ass just like the courts. Big Joke. Why even have them ???

oh come on now, how do you expect them to have time to catch bad guys when they're so busy taking radar? real tough guys, jumping out with the paramilitary look and flak vests to give some poor schmuck a ticket, makes me ill.

Liger Zero
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
They must be drunk or on drugs, how stupid can people get?

It is Avon. This kind of thing is common out in the less civilized areas. Just because you have a Cool-Whip factory doesn't mean you have the "upper crust" of society in your town.

Now excuse me I'm off to piss on the security fence at Ginna Station.

oldtiffie
07-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Why is everybody taking the side of the complainant? Is he being truthful or "selective" in the "truth"?

Maybe he is? And maybe he isn't?

What about "her" side?

I am damn sure I am not in a position to make judgments nor can I see any reason to "get involved".

If he is as sure as he says he is, there will be other stall-holders etc. that could confirm or deny it.

If he is so sure let him run his own race and either lodge a complaint or launch legal proceedings - for himself.

Perhaps "she" - if it was "her" - had or has some rights here too.

It is or seems to have all the ear-marks of a "domestic".

This is the sort of small-town gossip or "busy-bodying" that can unjustly pillory innocent people.

I'd make sure I stayed out of it.

JoeFin
07-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Will you guys are right the cops won't do a thing about it, and Old Tiffy you are most likely right also and there is probably her side of the story too.

This sounds like as an "Ex-wife" a 50/50 community property issue and the cops are going to tell the guy this is a matter for the civil courts.

A friend was going through a divorce because his wife had left him with 3 kids and was running around town with Tom Dick and Harry sniffy up all the drugs she could find. The night before their court appearance she comes by and wants to borrow $20. He knows good and well its for drugs - so he gives her $100

Next day she is too loaded to show up to court and he was awarded EVERYTHING he wanted

True Story

rockrat
07-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Why is everybody taking the side of the complainant? Is he being truthful or "selective" in the "truth"? Maybe he is? And maybe he isn't? What about "her" side?

I seem to recall giving some benefit of the doubt.

If it was the ex-wife...

And I will agree with your point. This might be a ploy to draw out someone that he will use to make a case against her, possibly after he gave some "choice items" to her so that she could sell them.

Had a buddy that got a call from the cops. He had a radio listed on CL and had stupidly posted a photo of the radios serial number. Someone (ex-girlfriend) called the cops and said that it was hers and gave them the sn. Lucky that he had the receipt.

Some days there is just too much drama in the world.

rock~

oldtiffie
07-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by oldtiffie
Why is everybody taking the side of the complainant? Is he being truthful or "selective" in the "truth"? Maybe he is? And maybe he isn't? What about "her" side?

I seem to recall giving some benefit of the doubt.

Good call Rock.

My mistake - and my apologies.

I should have said "most" or "many" as "all" was far too widely cast and unjustified.

paul gibson
07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a domestic issue! Some poor Slob may be giving back his "bargain find" from the flea market pretty soon to the local police dept. to avoid the "Receiving Stolen Goods".....

Remember fella's You can kiss your wife bye when your leaving the house...
Or you can kiss your house bye when your leaving the wife.

These are the choices we are faced with.

Never a pretty site when the wife has a score to settle.

P.G.