PDA

View Full Version : Slug vs buckshot distances

Sophiedoc
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a 50 foot high concrete silo with a deteriorating roof which my father and brothers built after WW1.It is an eyesore and dangerous if it falls off in a bad direction.The stairwell is Kaput and it is really hard to get closer than 20 feet of two 1" x 6" pine boards that are holding it up.My friend tried several shots
with a 30-30 but shooting @ a 45 degree angle into the air I don't feel is safe with a neighbor about 3/4 mile away.I know you can shoot a spit paper wad thru a board of this type@ 10 feet but not much farther.Slugs vs double 00 buck seems reasonable but not sure of safe distances shooting the boards with the sky background.I know we could hire a bucket truck etc but shooting the boards off seems simple if danger to neighbors can be removed.At the distance from the neighbor are regular buck or slug loads OK or should I make up some reduced loads?

tony ennis
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Can you get a rope around the boards?

Firearms were not involved in the first solutions I thought of.

Greg Parent
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
If you are within 20 feet a load of #6 will cut a 1x6 board in a shot or two. The small shot wont travel very far.

Berniep
07-24-2009, 11:32 AM
You might be underestimating the stability of the Silo. Are 2 1x6 really the only things holding it up?
Is it solid concrete or blocks?
These things can be a lot harder to get down than they appear.

38_Cal
07-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Berniep, I think the roof is the item in question, not the silo itself. I think I would look at nothing larger than No. 2 shot loads, not No. 2 Buck to blast away at the supports for the roof.

David
Montezuma, IA

madman
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Saw a neeet Bowling Ball Mortar It used 3 ounces of powder(black) and that Bowling Ball really sailed. DOM Pipe and a welded plug fire hole and downsivze the powder load. Should be good for Demolition work.PS wear youre Hardhat Please.

Sophiedoc
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Tried the #2 shot which didn't do much.When harvest is done will try low power slug loads since the closest neighbor is a mile away and if the boards are hit well this will decrease the range of flight.I have not seen a table of distances traveled for slugs or 00 Buck but there must be such info around.Slug mold from Lee is back ordered.

Mcostello
08-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Can't you shoot an arrow over the board then pull heavy rope over it?

Hollowbuilt
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Absolutely true story: Two friends of mine, father and son, wanted to put a trap range on their farm, and were concerned about shot falling on their neighbor's property. So their plan was simple: the dad would stand by the barbed wire fence separating the property, and the son would stand back some 300 yards and shoot a 3 dram trap load, 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot. The father felt that a 5 gallon bucket over his head and neck would be enough protection at that range. The dad signaled the boy and the boy let loose with a shot at about 45 degrees. The dad waited what he thought was more than enough time, and signaled the boy by shrugging his shoulders. The boy, just to be sure, reloaded quickly and fired another round, at about 60 degrees. Just as he touched off the second round, the bb's from the first round hit the dad like a swarm of mad hornets! As the dad danced around in pain from the first shot string....the second string arrived! I was rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes when they told me this one.
Chris

deltaenterprizes
08-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Absolutely true story: Two friends of mine, father and son, wanted to put a trap range on their farm, and were concerned about shot falling on their neighbor's property. So their plan was simple: the dad would stand by the barbed wire fence separating the property, and the son would stand back some 300 yards and shoot a 3 dram trap load, 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot. The father felt that a 5 gallon bucket over his head and neck would be enough protection at that range. The dad signaled the boy and the boy let loose with a shot at about 45 degrees. The dad waited what he thought was more than enough time, and signaled the boy by shrugging his shoulders. The boy, just to be sure, reloaded quickly and fired another round, at about 60 degrees. Just as he touched off the second round, the bb's from the first round hit the dad like a swarm of mad hornets! As the dad danced around in pain from the first shot string....the second string arrived! I was rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes when they told me this one.
Chris
That story is bogus,7 1/2 shot will bounce off a cardboard target at 40 yards, that is the distance we had our turkey shoot and the shot didn't penatrate the paper target. It looked like a bunch of dots done with a pencil.
There is a trap range in New Orleans under the Mississippi River Bridge and the ranges are only 40 yds apart and nobody gets peppered, the shot has no mass.

J. R. Williams
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
How about contacting a local volunteer fire department and see if they can blast the boards with a stream of water?

JWR

Hollowbuilt
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
That story is bogus,7 1/2 shot will bounce off a cardboard target at 40 yards, nobody gets peppered, the shot has no mass.

Who do you hunt with delta? Dick Cheney?:rolleyes:
7 1/2 shot is deadly at 40 yards.

Chris

huntinguy
08-28-2009, 05:31 AM
That story is bogus,7 1/2 shot will bounce off a cardboard target at 40 yards, that is the distance we had our turkey shoot and the shot didn't penatrate the paper target. It looked like a bunch of dots done with a pencil.
There is a trap range in New Orleans under the Mississippi River Bridge and the ranges are only 40 yds apart and nobody gets peppered, the shot has no mass.

I can only say I personally took a hit from a stray round at a trap range. I was over 100 and less than 200 yards out. It hurt a little less than a bee sting but not much (each pellet that is, and there were lots). I didn't get to find out what the shot was. As soon as the shooters realized they hit me they took off. :mad: The hulls left on the range were 7 1/2 so I take it that is what hit me.

As for shooting in a barn. been there done that. At 15 feet you will have to patch the hole. Load was #6 Federal 2 3/4 20 gauge. I never did find out if I hit the mouse though :rolleyes:

mwechtal
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Chris
Whittington was reported to be 30-40 yds. away from Cheney. The shot was reported to be less than one tenth of an inch, which could be 7 1/2 (0.094").
He didn't die.

Hollowbuilt
08-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Whittington was reported to be 30-40 yds. away from Cheney. The shot was reported to be less than one tenth of an inch, which could be 7 1/2 (0.094").
He didn't die.

You're right Mike. He did not die. 7 1/2 shot at 40 yards is not lethal. (I do remember his hunting partner spent some time in the hospital.) I was reminded of the story I posted, just because of what some people consider doing with firearms. I did, and still do, think that the story was funny, as no one was hurt. But it was not bogus. I should not have responded to the "bogus" comment. I don't think cynicism is a good replacement for a
sense of humor.

Regards,
Chris

deltaenterprizes
08-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Chris
I hunt paper, you said "trap loads" not field loads. Big difference and neither will go 300 yds.

Hollowbuilt
08-29-2009, 01:58 AM
I hunt paper, you said "trap loads" not field loads. Big difference and neither will go 300 yds.

Now tell the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/resLibDoc.cfm?filename=facility_mngmnt/design/how_far_will.htm&CAT=Facility%20Management

Can we drop this now?

deltaenterprizes
08-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Now tell the National Shooting Sports Foundation:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/resLibDoc.cfm?filename=facility_mngmnt/design/how_far_will.htm&CAT=Facility%20Management

Can we drop this now? Yes, thanks for the info, it does not give the dram equivilent.

Hollowbuilt
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Tried the #2 shot which didn't do much.When harvest is done will try low power slug loads since the closest neighbor is a mile away and if the boards are hit well this will decrease the range of flight.I have not seen a table of distances traveled for slugs or 00 Buck but there must be such info around.Slug mold from Lee is back ordered.

I second the fire departmen post.
A couple of straight stream nozzles directed at the boards would surely carry more energy than a slug? The FD may even have a snorkel rig that would put the nozzle close to the roof.

And if conditions were right, maybe you could offer them the roof as a training aid. They may still set old structures on fire for training in your area.

Worth a call to the powers that be.
Chris

motorcyclemac
09-02-2009, 12:51 AM
This thread has me in stitches. Why do I imagine all of these idea starting with "here..Bob....hold my beer ...watch this" ? This is funny stuff...

Perhaps shooting an arrow up over the boards or throw a heavy object...pulling a string... Then use the string to hoist up a winch cable. Reel in the cable and break the support boards.

I have seen guys attempt to shoot trees down..it takes a lot of concentrated shooting.

Cheers
Mac.

andy_b
09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Sophiedoc,

could you post a photo of this silo? i'd like to see what you have going on and could maybe offer some suggestions.

andy b.