PDA

View Full Version : Art or rubbish I am annoyed by this sorry off topic definitely off topic

Alistair Hosie
07-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I witnessed something today which I found upsetting a Christian Bible being deliberately torn up and written on scrawling whatever profanity you wish. This is supposed to be art according to the lesbian artist .When asked if this would be able to be done with the Koran there was a muffled response. Surely we are being asked to accept too much in the name of political correctness or political tolerance.Alistair

dewat
07-23-2009, 04:08 PM
She/they are just looking for attention.

Liger Zero
07-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Agreed.

Just move along and ignore it. Folks like her feed on attention from us, they feast on the shock and outrage.

Just keep whatever faith/belief you have strong and remember it's not our place in the world to deal with every ignorant attention monger out there.

beanbag
07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
My criteria has always been that if *I* could do it, it's not art.

DR
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I witnessed something today which I found upsetting a Christian Bible being deliberately torn up and written on scrawling whatever profanity you wish. This is supposed to be art according to the lesbian artist .When asked if this would be able to be done with the Koran there was a muffled response. Surely we are being asked to accept too much in the name of political correctness or political tolerance.Alistair

Might have been intended as no more than a thought provoking exhibit. Would you be as upset if it were any other book of fiction?

Also, why do you feel it was important to tell us it was a lesbian artist?

Bmyers
07-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I would be more upset if it was Machinery's Handbook

Jim Shaper
07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Maybe because the activist homosexual community outright denies the church, but it's the church which decrees the vows of marriage that they don't seem to agree with anyway - yet feel discriminated against because same sex relationships DO NOT follow the criteria for Marriage as it is written in the Bible.

Civil Unions are as far as the homosexual population should hope to possess in Judeo-Christian religious organizations. It's written in the old testament that marriage is between a man and woman. The state then recognizes that union in civil matters, unless you become married via a justice of the peace. I don't see eloping as a marriage, but as a contract. It's not vows, it's a certificate of contractual agreement between two people and the state.

I'm not one to tell another consenting adult what to do or how to act, but the activist gays bother me. It's not natural, it defies the theory of evolution (which I don't agree with either), and it has no business in our public schools.

Do whatever you like in the privacy of your own home, but stay the f out of mine. :) If you want a church to respect your beliefs, go start one.

For the record, I have openly gay (we're talking total flamers here) friends. I see it as a lifestyle choice they made and I don't hold that against them no matter how unappealing it may be to me. I get mad when the public school system is coerced into trying to explain that lifestyle as an option to my 7yr old son. That's MY BUSINESS to do as I see fit.

I also don't agree with the fact there are Gay Pride flags up and down a half a mile of public road in Minneapolis right now. If I did that for straight pride, I'd probably get my house burned down.

Liger Zero
07-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks now I'm going to have nightmares.

Fasttrack
07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
The exhibit seems rude and inappropriate. I don't find it offensive, but I think they could have found a more appropriate way to express themselves. Regardless of whether or not I believe, I recognize that others do believe and have a right to do so. As such, it is my moral duty to respect their beliefs, so long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others.

John Stevenson
07-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I have nothing against dykes but I wouldn't put my finger in one.........

.RC.
07-23-2009, 07:07 PM

It is interesting isn't it...Machinery's handbook is a book of fact...The bible is a book of events that cannot be proved to have ever occurred..

x39
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
If being rude and offending other people is all the "artist" has to offer, consider me unimpressed.

Rustybolt
07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Alistair, our cherished freedoms, such as they are now-a-days, are considered by some to be licence to act as they please. She is to be pitied for her ignorance that she should fear the written word. She is free to say whatever she pleases, and you're free to call her on it. She can destroy the book, but she can't destroy the messege.
Cheers, mate.

oldtiffie
07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I'd be more upset if it was Machinery's Handbook

It is interesting isn't it...Machinery's handbook is a book of fact...The bible is a book of events that cannot be proved to have ever occurred..

For some, Machinery's Handbook IS the bible and as all "true believers" are machinists then what-ever they do is the Acts of the Apostles. They also believe that some of the old machinist guru's writings are "Gospel" too.

Or is that just the Genesis of a good idea?

In my shop, I know not what I do.

What a Revelation!!!

Is it the right thing to do to leave your assets in a Testamentary Trust when you die?

Is that why your last Will and Testament is the only legal one?

Does a "Good" machinist kiss his Machinery's Handbook and return it to its Tabernacle after use?

Does he wash his hands before using it? ("Lavabo"?).

Is the smoke coming off his machines incense?

Does he put off his shoes from off his feet before he stands on the holy ground of his HSM shop?

Does he genuflect and "cross" himself before his/HSM/"production" machines?

Not here he doesn't!!!

gnm109
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Might have been intended as no more than a thought provoking exhibit. Would you be as upset if it were any other book of fiction?

Also, why do you feel it was important to tell us it was a lesbian artist?

I'm happy to know that it was an athiestic lesbian that performed the act of sacrilege. It makes it somehow more understandable.

If she were to do that to a Koran; Curan; Cueran; Coran (pick one spelling) in a moslem country, it would result in a public stoning.

oil mac
07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Alistair, I dont blame you for your sense of moral outrage, perpetrated on the pages of the most precious and holy of books, the bible
you can bet your bottom dollar that should it have been the Koran another most holy manuscript, the row would have been terrible We the native population of Scotland have only ourselves to blame for not protesting and doing something about such disgusting and utterly crass acts of defamation against Gods word, If good men do nothing , -- Well what are the consequencies? It is my belief that this female will have to answer for her actions on the day of judgment.
Over the years in the western world the conduct of the more extreme in the ranks of the homosexual members of society, have been getting more &more bizzare, not to mention total disgusting &shocking public behavior, Which if engaged upon by the straight members of our society would lead to instant arrest for indecency
Standards have fallen in many other spheres of everyday life, The actions of this filthy morally bankrupt bitch being purveyed in the name of art in glasgow saddens me, A city of founded by one of Scotlands great saints, Kentigern, also known as Mungo, a city renowned in the past for a great college of theology turning out many years ago one of the chaplins for an ex president of The United States, and other great preachers
Now what have we got? Gay Pride marches, If homosexual folks keep their practices behind closed doors then i dont feel any animosity, But please folks dont flaunt your life style in my face, I am a tolerant man if left alone to my own beliefs and natural practices
I feel today the trendy and way out experts, will quite willingly tramp on anything in the name of art, Yes the Machinery handbook would get the same treatment, Anything goes nowadays.
Recently the news in the media over here has greatly saddened me, a month ago, a 25 year old psycho was sent to prison for torturing& killing many of his neighbours pet cats,he only got eight months, This monster came from a home in one of the better areas of the city,homes costing 450,000 Where was his parents on the moral guidence input? yesterday an illegal immigrant was only given eight years for beating up a little coloured Christian nursing hospital sister, locking her in the boot of her car for 10 days,during the recent cold winter and robbing her Only her Christian faith got her through her ordeal, she had the grace to forgive him for his actions
Only tonight i learned of fire brigade officers being attacked in my home town during a call out which was a hoax
That this country has gone down the hill, does not amaze me, WE HAVE TURNED OUR BACK ON GOD!

Mcgyver
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM

that and a big cheque from the Tate gallery. what a bunch of morons.

Morons not for tearing up paper and ink (in my mind if you're spiritual the meaning exists in the ideas and spirit of the word, not in the man made physical items) but for doing something that would intentionally disturbs and offends so many. Should have had a piss on her and called art :D

Carld
07-23-2009, 09:29 PM
The lesbian part told me everything I need to know about her motives. She probably feels wronged by the church for her deviant life style. The only person she is hurting is herself.

It don't matter what religion you profess you should never belittle anyone else's beliefs.

Bmyers
07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
amen oldtiffie

Ken_Shea
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
An atheistic, lesbian, it's understandable that she chose the Bible, what other book could she choose to better express her immoral rebellion to what she knows and just won't admit, is perverted.

Sad really, for her!

wierdscience
07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Besides the rest she/he/it probably got public money in the form of grants to do that.
She's not an artist,that's plain,she's just a spoiled little brat who's whoring for attention because she has made herself totaly worthless to society.Sad waste of a life IMHO.

danlb
07-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Wow. Such strong, hateful and bitter sentiments from people who are claiming to be devout.

What happened to turning the other cheek? Walking a mile in her shoes?

Sigh.

Jim Shaper
07-24-2009, 01:25 AM
I walked a few miles in her shoes - been lusting after women my whole life.:p

Paul Alciatore
07-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Christianity isn't about sacred objects, it is about following the teachings of Christ who taught love and forgiveness. Rather radical ideas for his time and ours. Dispise the transgression, but love and forgive the transgressor. It is not easy and other religions/philosophies seem to have an easier road to follow as they are "allowed" to hate those who don't agree with them.

Christians should not be the least bit upset by such actions.

oldtiffie
07-24-2009, 04:22 AM
She may well be the resurrected Mary Magdalen!!!

If so - look out!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Magdelene

If some man is looking to pick up a woman is she or can it be inferred that she is "fallen" woman?

How can you be sure that all the Clerics practice what they preach - and who do the "fallen" ones go to for - and get - "under-standing" and protection? You guessed it. And whose mentors and examples of paragons of virtue are they?

There's an awful lot of "pure" people here casting stones from what may be a glass house.

Live and let live and don't be so judgmental - or puritan.

If you have the courage of your convictions, tear up or desecrate a copy of the Koran or Talmud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud or other religions and creed "holy books" - at their "sacred places" and/or in public in full view of the media and your contemporaries.

Or are you waiting for some-one else with the courage and moral fortitude to do it for you?

And who are we to judge others? That's what the Courts, the Judiciary and "due process" are for.

This is turning into a mix of xenophobia and witch-hunting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

When and where is the next Salem and "Fiery Cross" - or is this it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiery_cross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_burning

malbenbut
07-24-2009, 05:10 AM
You could go to your local police station see an inspector and make a complaint that is an affront to public decency. The police have to take action.
I'm supprised that none of the local church dignataries have not done this.
As you say if this was done to the Koran all hell would be let loose.
Just another ezxample of the decay of morals in present day Britts.
MBB

gnm109
07-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Wow. Such strong, hateful and bitter sentiments from people who are claiming to be devout.

Sigh.

Yes, you shouldn't judge a person until you've walked a mile in his shoes. And then, you'll be a mile away him and you'll have his shoes.

The actions of the lesbian person in desecrating our Bible are simply unforgiveable. It's not the sort of thing to which I would turn the other cheek. I reserve cheek-turning for inadvertant, accidental and negligent acts.

She's disgusting.

.RC.
07-24-2009, 06:26 AM
It don't matter what religion you profess you should never belittle anyone else's beliefs.

I don't agree with that...If someone teaches others that the world is flat then should we not criticise that person...

Bah, religion is based on fairy tales for the express purpose of power and control and making people believe that when you die your existence does not end... Of course they say that if you do not follow the dear leaders rules then your existence does end when you die..

You can be an atheist and be a good person..

oldtiffie
07-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Here's your chance to "Do Good".

Pick up this fallen baton, leave the fallen woman where she is (of course) and run with this baton like you stole something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Majority

It seems that you will be or might be both (of?) "the Right" and (of?) the "Majority".

What more could you ask for or need.

"Onward Christian soldiers .......................... ".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onward,_Christian_Soldiers

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Onward,_Christian_Soldiers

"Knights Templar" too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar

Crusaders?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Inquisitors?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisitor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

Circlip
07-24-2009, 07:02 AM
If thine eye offends thee, PLUCK IT OUT.

oldtiffie
07-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Not that Ian - not that?

They are more than "one-eyed" enough with two eyes!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops

http://www.phrases.org.uk/search.html?cx=partner-pub-1661211094230592%3A7u5dot-xy7q&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=one+eyed&sa=Search#1121

Myopic too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopic

Circlip
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry Tiff, get thoroughly jacked off ( could be one eyed ) when religeon is used as a conveniace tool, and this applies to ALL of them. Perhaps we should start blowing steam when yet another carpet warehouse opens in a converted Chapel?. A few years ago here in good ole Bradford, some of the bretheren took to the streets burning Salman Rushdies "Satanics", got world wide fame for that one too. Seems the bible bashers exhibit more intolerance than the good books says they ought.

Regards Ian.

Ps. Excuse MY opinions, I'm suffering from a form of common sense disease

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
An atheistic, lesbian, it's understandable that she chose the Bible, what other book could she choose to better express her immoral rebellion to what she knows and just won't admit, is perverted.

Sad really, for her!

She's a freak no doubt, anyone who publicly oozes that kind of hatred has got some major issue's, It reminds me of that freak years ago "shanade o'conner" tearing up a picture of the pope, while I don't believe in "the pope" you have to be flexible and allow a certain amount of elbow room for the others that do - I think shanade was/is a lesbo also but one might also ask themselves the flip side of the coin as to why some of these greatest examples of blasphemy have come from such small yet devout little places on the globe (Ireland/Scotland),
The fact is that the more repressed a peoples are the greater examples you will have in extreme opposition, and the opposition is of course somebody who's not going to "fit the mold" ----
but to lump all lesbians together and call them perverted - well - now were actually being just as bad, (but of course on a much smaller scale due to this just being a discussion on a web site)
Iv known a few over the years and one has remained a good friend, she's far from "perverted" --- is a great human being (just as good as the best of the creme of the crop that I know) and she's actually an incredible athlete that can run over 100 miles at one time and just to put things in perspective for you one could argue that she's actually an advanced species as compared to yourself or I due to the fact that since mankind has already proven to be ruining the planet at an alarming rate mostly due to ignorance and overpopulation and hetero's living in trailer parks pumping out 10 kids at the expense of the the rest, and all the wonderful creatures that took millions of years to evolve going extinct because of it - one has to ask the question of who's "perverse" Esp. seeing as though no matter how hard lesbo's "grind" at each other or homo's hump its actually impossible for any of them to "squeek out a pup"
So humor me just for a second and look up the word "perverse" in your dictionary - Now tell me who's who and where the larger "error" lies,,,
kinda gets a little gray on you huh, actually one could say that she's nipping it in the bud and in fact if you knew her like I do you would find that that's exactly her intentions, to put things in perspective for you - you better be in the upper 99+ % range to be more user friendly with the planet than she already is -- go figure --- all that from a person who doesn't have to be concerned with the mess their going to leave their children...
Perspective?
Don't wrap up all lesbians in the same package as the freak who tore up the bible, Two wrongs don't make it right.

Rustybolt
07-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Sigh.

Isn't there something in the bible about christ saying something about selling your cloak and buying a sword? I think you have jesus mixed up with jimmy carter.

oldtiffie
07-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Sorry Tiff, get thoroughly jacked off ( could be one eyed ) when religeon is used as a conveniace tool, and this applies to ALL of them. Perhaps we should start blowing steam when yet another carpet warehouse opens in a converted Chapel?. A few years ago here in good ole Bradford, some of the bretheren took to the streets burning Salman Rushdies "Satanics", got world wide fame for that one too. Seems the bible bashers exhibit more intolerance than the good books says they ought.

Regards Ian.

Ps. Excuse MY opinions, I'm suffering from a form of common sense disease

Don't apologise Ian.

Me too. I detest bigotry in all its forms.

Here are our Neanderthal friends "rescuing" some "fallen women". But check out the "logic"? and the "cure"?.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Funnies/Truegrit1.jpg

I've posted this sketch of my shop. I guess yours is the same.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Funnies/Making_sense1.jpg

Only difference I see is that while you Brits think that "Lords" is Heaven on Earth (now!!) we never had our demons exorcised at all as we just got a whole lot more of them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism

- it was and is truly "Hell on Earth". But I do hope that after you wipe that big smirk off your face (not much chance of our lot doing it for us) that you will be charitable towards us poor convicts and colonials - sinners all - down here.

But in the off-chance that we get our act together we will have great joy in giving your lot the cricket version of the Rugby "squirrel grip" - hard and often.

Then you will all be fallen men of no use to any fallen women.

This will not surprise you to know/learn that this is our take on fallen heroes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Sporting_Life_(radio_program)

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't agree with that...If someone teaches others that the world is flat then should we not criticise that person...

I think if Galileo could have it to do over again he would have went about proving the Copernican theory with a little less gusto, mighta kept him out of prison till the day he died and all, Even jesus found out that you gotta be careful when messing about with the authorities:p

Bah, religion is based on fairy tales for the express purpose of power and control and making people believe that when you die your existence does not end...
I cant put a stamp of approval on that one - but yes sometimes it kinda looks that way

Of course they say that if you do not follow the dear leaders rules then your existence does end when you die..

Some may, but actually most of them say that you do go on and that you get tortured for eternity with things like red hot pitch forks, other sinners constantly screaming and moaning in your ear, sweltering heat with absolutely no A/C and maybe even personal issues like renegade mother-in-laws nagging and rabid past pets pooping in your shoes in the morning...

I totally agree with you on that one ringer, and in fact if all the info is tallied up in the "bitter end" and the atheist has an identical track record as his devout religious "rivals" then its the atheist who wins hands down as all his actions were completely genuine, kinda hard to tell with anyone else, but remember its the atheist who has to go through life trying to prove something that can never be proved - he she can be proved wrong, but never right - and that is for eternity also.

John Stevenson
07-24-2009, 09:32 AM

The world has to be flat otherwise there would be no Myford and Colchester owners.

DR
07-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Just curious, I wonder how Alistair knew the artist was lesbian.

Circlip
07-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Not gonna crow YET Tiff, another three to go, and the workshop thing? Naaaaa, he can get into his, TOTAL waste of storage space, need pitons and a route map to navigate in mine. :D

Regards Ian.

Ken_Shea
07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
A.K.
I call them as God sees them, blame him, they are, every last one of them, perverts, although I believe the Bible (cant say God) uses "abomination". What they are in need of (as all are) is real Christianity and not what is usually seen, groups of people, religion ooozing out and more concerned with how they dress on Sunday, carry their Bible and interrupt everyone's dinner at restaurants with loud prayers, instead of living on how God tells them. I am as honest in judging and as quick to admit my own wrong as I am with clumping all Lesbian/Gay people as perverts, however, it is based upon what the Bible says and not popular world opinions or statements from some forum. The difference is, I try and change my wrongs and replace them with what is right.

I sense no need for guilt on my part or an apology.

Pay day some day!

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
A.K.
I call them as God sees them, blame him, they are, every last one of them, perverts, although I believe the Bible (cant say God) uses "abomination". What they are in need of (as all are) is real Christianity and not what is usually seen, groups of people, religion ooozing out and more concerned with how they dress on Sunday, carry their Bible and interrupt everyone's dinner at restaurants with loud prayers, instead of living on how God tells them. I am as honest in judging and as quick to admit my own wrong as I am with clumping all Lesbian/Gay people as perverts, however, it is based upon what the Bible says and not popular world opinions or statements from some forum. The difference is, I try and change my wrongs and replace them with what is right.

Pay day some day!

And who's "god" would that be Ken? Ohhh I see -- your god, lets just hope that out of the millions of them that youv selected the correct "brand name":rolleyes:

While your quoting whatever version of "the bible" that you are maybe you need to throw in a little clause about how "the great one" preached "not to judge lest he be judged himself" or some other kind of lame but useful statement for dim bulb people to avoid the whole hypocrisy thing,
I can tell you this right now without a doubt that even according to your own "good book" I know who the hells the better person over you and my lesbian friend and it sure the hell aint you fella. again -- perspective -- aint it wunnerful?

Ken_Shea
07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
You are correct A.K. and since there is only one "God", he would then be my "God"
and
again, you are correct, lets hope you choose the right "God" as the millions of other "gods" will do no one any good in this life or the next.

You've stated in a small way what you believe, that is all I am doing also, not trying to change minds, not in my job description.

Ken

andy_b
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM

i saw a news blurb about the exhibit and pretty much blew it off as another talentless hack doing it as a ploy for attention. i like your idea of the Koran. i think if that exhibit ever came to my area i would bring pages from the Koran in and glue them into the Bible to see what happened. now i am kind of hoping it comes to my area.

andy b.

andy_b
07-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm happy to know that it was an athiestic lesbian that performed the act of sacrilege. It makes it somehow more understandable.

If she were to do that to a Koran; Curan; Cueran; Coran (pick one spelling) in a moslem country, it would result in a public stoning.

being a lesbian in a muslim country would probably also get her a public stoning.

andy b.

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 10:56 AM
"i would bring pages from the Koran in and glue them into the Bible"

Now that would be art! Andy B you's bad...:)

Bmyers
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I think I will stick with the hedonistic atheists, at least you know where you stand with them :rolleyes:

Carld
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM
My opinion is, religions are methods of coercing people to be civil to each other and government laws do much the same. The government laws have a more immediate penalty for disobaying them than the religious laws do in most cases. For that reason religious and government laws serve a useful purpose.

My opinion is, sexual activity between a man and woman is or should be intended for procreation but sexual activity between two women or two men is not for procreation nor can it procreate. Hence, that's why in many cultures and religions it is considered a deviant behavior or abomination. I too consider it a deviant behavior or abomination but that is their choice of behavior and not mine.

If you read the history of civilization you will find most wars are fought over religion or in the name of some religion or at least God is claimed to be on their side. Everyone is led to believe and thinks their religion is the one and only one to follow. Mankind has a built in trait to seek a higher moral level and a supreme being and that trait has caused much strife in this world.

I have given up trying to find the true religion or WAY to immortal life and just try to live a decent civil life with respect to myself and others. People that, "wear their religion on their sleeve" so to speak and loudly profess are suspect to me.

What works for me may not work for you and everyone should be free to choose their path. There is no point in arguing over which religion is the right one, it serves no useful purpose.

With all that said, I still say she, nor anyone else should belittle anyones beliefs. Just because they believe something does not make it true and people will believe what they see in their mind to be true. For example, nothing you can say will change their mind if they believe the world is flat.

Alistair Hosie
07-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Dr she is lesbian as was explained by the curator of the Modern art gallery in Glasgow if you want to look it up in google and see the whole story. I pasted it but withdrew it as it was potentially so offensive to others.She felt that she had issues with god not accepting her life choices for which she was extremely proud .If you wish to know more go to google and look up.I am angrier not because just of this but political correctness is so rife in this country you dare not speak out against Muslims like this for fear of antagonizing them , but when it comes to Christianity all and everything goes that's what I am annoyed about more than anything .It's currently one law for them and another for us, and this is supposed to be a Christian country too, what next? We currently don't have any more prayers in schools no crosses for the Catholics no Christmas nativity plays with children no exchanging Christmas cards in schools ,no christian posters, etc ,etc ,etc, for fear of upsetting the Muslims this is so wrong .Alistair

gnm109
07-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Bah, religion is based on fairy tales for the express purpose of power and control and making people believe that when you die your existence does not end... Of course they say that if you do not follow the dear leaders rules then your existence does end when you die..

You are entitled to your opinion.

Nnetheless, that reminds me of the insomniac, hedonistic, athiestic, dyslexic fellow. He lay awake all night in a wine-induced stupor wondering if there really is a dog.

barts
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
A.K.
I call them as God sees them, blame him, they are, every last one of them, perverts, although I believe the Bible (cant say God) uses "abomination".

The Bible also says that wearing cloth made of two fibers is an abomination,
and so is eating animals w/ cloven hooves, shellfish, etc; let I see few "Christians" protesting at the mall or Long John Silvers.

Let's not go around accusing others of violating rules selectively chosen from a book mistranslated from ancient languages supposedly written under the influence of an (likely imaginary) deity.

Instead, live your life as an (good) example to others, and leave the place better than when you found it - and don't worry so much about who does what to whom - if it brings joy to them and doesn't hurt others, more power to them. There's enough pain and suffering in the world w/o insisting that others follow your arbitrary set of rules.

- Bart

rancherbill
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I think the 'Art' is rude and inappropriate.

IMHO is is not right to make fun of, or belittle anyones beliefs. It has been pointed out the outcry at doing it to the Koran. Similarly, all the anti-lesbian comments are just as bad in this thread.

People are what they are and you are not going to change them. You can have high standards and NOT accept them belittling your beliefs.

PS If you are opposed to Lesbians, get a shave and shower and try to convert them from the dark side the good old way. Think of it as missionary work:) :)

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 12:57 PM
The Bible also says that wearing cloth made of two fibers is an abomination,
and so is eating animals w/ cloven hooves, shellfish, etc; let I see few "Christians" protesting at the mall or Long John Silvers.

Let's not go around accusing others of violating rules selectively chosen from a book mistranslated from ancient languages supposedly written under the influence of an (likely imaginary) deity.

Instead, live your life as an (good) example to others, and leave the place better than when you found it - and don't worry so much about who does what to whom - if it brings joy to them and doesn't hurt others, more power to them. There's enough pain and suffering in the world w/o insisting that others follow your arbitrary set of rules.

- Bart

That was well put without being too offensive to anybody, and while were on this particular "brand" let me also add;
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" ------ and then all you could hear was all the faint thumps as everybody's rocks dropped to the ground with the mild effect of gravity:p

That's only about her and her preference --- not about what she did in public to what so many others hold dear.

tony ennis
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
If a church-goer were to shred one of those multi-colored gay-pride flags and write scripture upon the scraps, this person would be branded a bigot.

I find it curious that haters who aren't straight/male/Christians seem to get a pass by society.

tony ennis
07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
being a lesbian in a muslim country would probably also get her a public stoning.

Death by hanging, in Iran.

(blatantly biased link, but it will probably allow you to find all you're seeking. (http://atheism.about.com/b/2005/07/25/iran-gay-teens-executed-by-hanging.htm))

Carld
07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Zealots for any cause are not reasonable and not willing to accept any opinion that differs from their own.

Ken_Shea
07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Zealots for any cause are not reasonable and not willing to accept any opinion that differs from their own.

Talking to yourself again Carl :D

toastydeath
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Us atheists are just out to cause trouble. You heard it from the source. Fee, fi, fo, fum, I smell the bible of an englishman!

The thing that I feel is being missed by some here, is that to her (and me, and I get the sense several others in this thread), it's just another book, no more or less special than Alice in Wonderland. I get irritated about book burnings, and religious groups seem to like that kind of thing. Turnabout's fair play, I suppose. Tearing any book up is a wee bit retarded, but I get where she's coming from.

Additionally: The new atheists antagonize muslims whenever the opportunity presents, but it happens less because the United States isn't 80% plus Islamic. Most atheists coming out of a religion come out of christianity, so obviously that's going to be first pickins' when it comes down to it in the USA. Europe doesn't count, because they're pretty much secular out of the gate (no Eurodisco/New Wave/Electroclash Atheism over there), and they find the whole muslim immigrant thing more confusing than anything else.

I participate in #atheism on efnet, and the muslims who are coming out of islam are usually even more hostile than ex-christians.

Oh, and on art:

Modern Art = "What, but I could have done that!" + "Yeah, but you didn't." - unsourced

Carld
07-24-2009, 01:26 PM
No Ken, I am trying to be reasonable and have no ax to grind. I am neutral in that I don't really know or care who's god is best or even if there is a god. I nor anyone can prove there is or isn't a god or supreme being. It's not my job to dictate what anyone believes and if you have read my posts you will understand I don't like zealots but have compassion for anyones beliefs.

It's not your, my or anyones else's job to tell anyone what religion to follow or condemn their choice.

Your right toasty, it's just another book or another way to salvation. No one knows what happens after death but we all know how people treat each other here on Earth.

A.K. Boomer
07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I find it curious that haters who aren't straight/male/Christians seem to get a pass by society.

Straight/male/christians get a free pass too --- esp. if they were the priests special little alter boys, everyone can understand that one I would hope, You wouldn't blame the kid would you? yet after all he started out straight/male and christian, and if he got a little older and then tore up a bible I would think in that particular case that it could prove to be "good therapy".

Ken_Shea
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Personally I don't care as much about what people think of me as a Christian, what and all I am concerned about is what God thinks of me, the rest will fall into place.

I have been both, non-Christian and a Christian, one is not one bit better then the other by definition alone.

How does a Christian reply to statements of the Bible being fiction or fairy tales????, I wont, live and die with it if you wish, you're choice.

This is the end of the discussion for me.

Ringer, I cannot agree more, there are doubtless many decent atheist and agnostics of which I have had the pleasure of knowing some.

Ken