PDA

View Full Version : What are these??

toyjeep73
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
What are these?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/toyjeep1/100_0683.jpg

And what do you think all of this might be worth?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/toyjeep1/100_0682.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/toyjeep1/100_0681.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/toyjeep1/100_0684.jpg

Thanks for your help .. I am new to machinist accessories and have a chance to buy this at what I think is a good price.

tattoomike68
07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Those are dill jig bushings. A nice pile of them.

toyjeep73
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Those are dill jig bushings. A nice pile of them.

Ok, can you give me an example of what I would use them for?

juergenwt
07-23-2009, 09:07 PM
All belongs to a tool maker. Assortment of drill bushings. Planer Gage (hang on to it). Assortment of parallels, sine bar, straight edge and all kind of reamers and pins. Toolmakers vise, angle plate, matching V-blocks, riser blocks.
All came from a toolmakers toolbox. We like to collect those things. Can't work without it.
Drill bushings are uses to guide a drill to a part held in a drill jig. They are part of the jig.

Carld
07-23-2009, 09:22 PM
The drill guides are used in jigs and fixtures to keep from wearing out the jig or fixture.

If you don't have a planer or shaper that tool is practically worthless. I have one and have never used it in 20 years.

The photo with the sine bar, parallels and reamers is useful tools. You may seldom use the sine bar, probably never, but the parallels are used with a mill and very handy. The reamers are nice to have and keep them oiled.

The next photo is a tool makers vise, small angle plate and 1-2-3 blocks. All of them are very useful on a mill.

What to pay? Well, if you have a mill everything may be worth $40-50 dollars but the drill guides are more or less worthless to you unless you do a lot of production work that would need them.

Mcruff
07-23-2009, 10:22 PM
If you don't have a planer or shaper that tool is practically worthless. I have one and have never used it in 20 years.

Obviously you don't know how to use one. They are used in setup work, transfering dimensions and setting up a multitude of different things. I use mine quite often and I have a set of gage blocks that take its place, but its still highly useful especially if you don't have gage blocks.

john hobdeclipe
07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a planer gage that I have set up with a flat disc screwed to the top of the post. Now, with the base of the gage on my lathe cross slide, the underside of the disc is set on the centerline of my lathe. So I only need to set the gage back onto the cross slide to center my cutting tools. Quick and easy.

rancherbill
07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
.... and have a chance to buy this at what I think is a good price.

What's the good price?

That will get a quick Yes or No from the group. The other thing is what you ultimately want to be able to make.

Stuff is always good to have it always it's usefulness and cost. At a minimum it's traders' or eBay material.

Carld
07-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I know how to use it, I just have not found anything that I needed to use the planner/shaper gage on that I can't do with the other tools I have. Some day it may be needed. I got it when I had the Atlas shaper but only used it once then to try it out.

I also have the large set of gage blocks to set height or check gaps, pockets, etc. with.

toyjeep73
07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
What's the good price?

That will get a quick Yes or No from the group. The other thing is what you ultimately want to be able to make.

Stuff is always good to have it always it's usefulness and cost. At a minimum it's traders' or eBay material.

The asking price is $250 on craigs. I honestly was just thinking of buying because the price was 'maybe' right. I bought a lathe about 4 months ago and still have not managed to rearange my garage enough to even try it. Still getting jeep parts out of the way so that I can run new power to the 'fabrication' side of the garage. Used machinist tools are the only way I will ever afford to outfit a shop, so the thought was buy now an use WAY later. Hell, I don't even know how to use most of that, but I will own a mill someday.

I talked to the seller and told him to get back to me in a few days if he still had no bites. Offered $60 -$80.

tattoomike68
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
The hand reamers are nice, if you can just get them for less than $100 you will do well.

knedvecki
07-23-2009, 11:25 PM
The planer gage alone goes for $233 NEW. http://www.jwdonchin.com/Starrett/Catalog/HeightGages/599.html If you ever intend to get a real Mill, then you could definitely use the sine bar, parallels, angle plate, 1-2-3 blocks, and the Planer Gage. You could also use some slot blocks. The drill bushings may??? be useful, (usually used in production runs). I would give just a little less thatn the asking price, myself. But, if your math skills are not too hot, and you do not intend to get a Mill, it may not be worth it to you.

J Tiers
07-23-2009, 11:30 PM
For $250, it is, frankly, time to laugh and move on.

IF, and it's an important 'if", the reamers were all in their protective sleeves, then *maybe* the lot would be worth a bit over $100 to you.

The shaper gage is useful, but over-rated, almost always has a high price and is touted as "rare and essential" machinist's equipment.

It isn't.

The reamers are useful and worth *some* money, EXCEPT for the fact that they have evidently bee knocking around on each other, nicking the edges and dulling themselves. And anyone with so little respect for a tool probably has dulled and chipped them anyway.

And, while there is "tonnage", I have no idea if there are a dozen various 3/8" and a scattering of others, or if there is a useful assortment.

Sine bars are available for not a lot new, and you don't NEED it for most stuff. Without gage blocks it is a lot less useful, although you CAN use the planer gage with it by setting the gage to a mic.

Parallels are useful, but available elsewhere when and as you need them. I pick them up at sales when I see unusual sizes, but often have to use some improvised one because the ones I have are not the right size for the setup.

1 2 3 blocks are cheap and not over-useful anyhow. Nice for setups, sometimes.

In fact, I'd class that as a pretty bad deal for you. The seller is counting on "tonnage" to bring up the value, and probably has very little idea what the items are or are useful for.

Yes, it's possible to tot up a list of prices that make it seem reasonable, but I doubt it is realistic right now, especially since you take the whole lot, or none, and won't need a lot of it now, if ever.

Trying to get top dollar for old and possibly damaged tools in this economy makes pi$$ing up a rope look sensible.

if you are in Alaska, or on a remote island, buy it and feel good. otherwise move on.

toyjeep73
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

An Enco Planer gauge is $90 new: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=600-0049&PMPXNO=951855&PARTPG=INSRHI
While it is not a Starret, I am not an expert.

The reamers looked to be well used. Of the 50+ that were there I looked at probably 10. 2 of 10 were chipped or clogged with material and they were all stored loose in a bin.

I told him to post better pictures on craigs and see if someone bites, if not give me a call in a few days. $60 - $80 is all it is worth to me.

J Tiers
07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
$60 - $80 is all it is worth to me.

Sensible man.

juergenwt
07-24-2009, 01:38 AM
It all depends on the type of work you are doing. Some people have no idea of how to use a planer gage or a sine bar because in their line of work this type of tool is not needed. But if you are doing precise tool, gage or die work you will need one. A planer gage is today often replaced with a (very expensive) CADILAC GAGE. It is not a setting tool for toolbits. Because it is used with gage blocks the flat surfaces have to be parallel to a surface plate within a minimum of .0002 over the sliding range of the gage.

Rustybolt
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
What anything sold for new is immaterial. What is it worth to you now?

Looks like a lot of it is beginning to rust. Rusting reamers jumbling around in a box unprotected aren't worth much. used drill jig bushings, drills , endmills usually go by the pound.