PDA

View Full Version : OT: SMD part lookup/cross help

jacampb2
07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, I am hoping one of you folks that work in the electronics industry can help me find a part. I have pretty much exhausted the resources that I know of in trying to find this little devil. I have checked every major manufacturer I can think of and have turned up nothing. I know that there are SMD code books out there for professionals in the field, and I am hoping one of you might be able to look it up.

The part in question is for a friends Xbox 360 elite. He was following some dumb a$$ instructions on line on removing heat sinks from the processors and slipped with the screw driver and annihilated some tracks and one very small SMD component. Just in case there happens to be someone with Xbox schematics on here, the screen on the board for this part is U6T1-- As far as I know this is not a standard naming convention. U normally means IC, but I have no idea what T means...

I believe the package is SC70-5, under lots of magnification it appears to be labeled |y LIU and the y is rotated 90. Bellow is a drawing of what it looks like to me. The L and I are nearly certain, the U could actually be a V, it has a bit of a screw driver rake through it...

I'm not into these game systems, but apparently this thing is the cream of MS's crop, and very expensive to replace, so if you can help my buddy will be extremely grateful.

Here is the picture:

http://www.rollmeover.com/bronco_fab/odds_n_ends/U6T1.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jason

panchula
07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t534618.html

-Mike

jacampb2
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Excellent, thank you! Someone in that thread requested info on the same part. The OP said it was likely a VLDO regulator, but he was unsure of what one. I assume VLDO is very low drop out? I would still appreciate it if anyone has access to code lists and can try to look up the exact part, but armed with this, maybe I can renew my search and find something...

Thanks,
Jason

tattoomike68
07-23-2009, 11:07 PM
He better ship that Xbox 360 in to get fixed.

If he cant handle a screw driver then he has no business working on the motherboard with a soldering iron.:eek:

jacampb2
07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I have the Xbox now, so he is not going to be involved with repairing it. It may not even be able to be repaired, the pitch on these components is tighter than any SMD stuff I have done so far, plus I have traces that need repaired in the mix...

Thanks,
Jason

Paul Alciatore
07-24-2009, 02:35 AM
The lettering you describe does not look like any chip number I have ever seen. It sounds like a special run for the XBox. It could be a standard device that is unmarked or a special device that only the manufacturer knows about.

Tracing the circuit could tell you something about it's function if you can do that. But this can be very difficult with modern PCBs.

Another thing I have seen in the past is that some OEM labeled chips had the actual generic number on the bottom. You might look there.

You could contact the OEM and ask if parts are available. If so, they should be able to ID it by the silk screen designation. That would be your best source of info.

jacampb2
07-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. There is nothing at all on the bottom of the part. I can't really buy into unmarked/house marked in this case, as there are lots of other SMD parts on the board that I can look up just fine. I could believe that it is a purpose built part of some sort, but I certainly hope not.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking over the actual board yet. I spent a half hour or so with a 10x jewelers loupe and a flash light examining the damage to see if the board was even going to be repairable. It is going to be tough to RE it, but I will try if I have to.

As for the OEM, that is my next step. I really thought it would be easier to find...

Thanks,
Jason

Evan
07-24-2009, 06:38 AM
House numbering is very common. Xerox normally house numbers everything on their boards. The actual schematics are very closely guarded. All we had to work with was fragments of the logic block diagrams and called out test points.

Circlip
07-24-2009, 07:14 AM
At least two electronic goods manufacturers I have worked for had "Selected" components supplied to them with obscure markings on them. Many have complained about Uncle Bill's philosophy on software, so why should hardware be any differant??

Bottom line is an X-box with a differant fault and scavenge or bite the bullet and scrap it. SMD's are one of the throw away vices we have to accept for todays relatively cheap technology.

Regards Ian.

J Tiers
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
While it is "POSSIBLE" that it is a house number, they commonly are much longer.

The most likely is that it is the SMD code letters. SMD devices are so small that useful info is not generally able to be put on. So the manufacturer uses a 3 place code which identifies their parts.

26^3 covers most needs, particularly for the small components like that. 24 pin SOIC and larger square pattern parts have enough room for real data

You must find the manufacturer, and then consult their code list for identification.

The "y" doesn't ring a bell, may be a chinese company, not even available outside china. But there may well be a cross for it, or same part from a different and actually available source.