PDA

View Full Version : What are the opinions on this mill?

bvd1940
07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Would like to know the good, bad, & ugly or opinion on this mill I am considering buying from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-32-Gear-Head-Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0484
Any info is appreciated.
Bill in SE Idaho:o

michael3fingers
07-24-2009, 03:14 AM
hello bill

I have a variant of that mill I brought here in australia..

I have had no problems with it and in my opinion it is a good upper lower class unit. Its sturdy and bloody heavy. I find the gearbox a bit sticky but I have been assured that it will "come good"

philbur
07-24-2009, 04:31 AM
1500 rpm max on the spindle can be restrictive if you are going to work in Al and/or with small diameter cutters.

Phil

Would like to know the good, bad, & ugly or opinion on this mill I am considering buying from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-32-Gear-Head-Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0484
Any info is appreciated.
Bill in SE Idaho:o

loose nut
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a similar one, very rigid and far superior to the round column type.

The dovetailed head solves the alignment problem and an in general the milled finish on parts is much better then the round column type, less vibration of the head.

The table work area is much larger than the G3102 type of mill that are common.

bvd1940
07-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a similar one, very rigid and far superior to the round column type.

The dovetailed head solves the alignment problem and an in general the milled finish on parts is much better then the round column type, less vibration of the head.

The table work area is much larger than the G3102 type of mill that are common.
Do you have any issues with the speed ranges working Alum.?:confused:
Bill

tattoomike68
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
looks good, new is nice. better than some old beater with holes dilled in the table. you can do that yourself.

I like new myself.

loose nut
07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Do you have any issues with the speed ranges working Alum.?:confused:
Bill

Actually I just did some AL (type unknown) this week and the finish was perfect, I put the mill in it's highest speed with a 1" end mill (I figured that using an oversized end mill would help balance out the lower than optimal RPM's and it would seem to work) to clean up the edges of a piece of 3" x 3" plate. The mill was perfectly trammed as purchased (and I won't tilt the head as long a it stays that way) and the power feed on the X axis gave a uniform finish.

I use to have a round column type mill and the square column dovetailed models are so much better. Rigidity, vibration and alignment issues that I had with the old mill are all gone. In particular, before, my boring head was useless because it would just pull the head back and forth no matter how hard the tightening bolts were done up leaving oval holes. On the new mill it works great.

These mills are a good fit if you want something bigger than a Micromill/Seig type mill but can't have a full sized Bridgeport type mill

loose nut
07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
looks good, new is nice. better than some old beater with holes dilled in the table. you can do that yourself.

I like new myself.
Got the t-shirt

bvd1940
07-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Well thank you for the feed back, I will get one on order Monday.
Just gotta figure out how to get it trough a garage door to the back of the shop, door is only 93" high & mill pkg. is 80" so cant back the truck into shop.
Oh well it will be nice to have a mill again.:D

Falcon67
07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
fignoggle.com has some detail about how they pulled one apart and moved it.

http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/rf45-dovetail-square-column-mill/enco-rong-fu-45-dovetail-column-mill-first-look.htm

I'm about to buy one of these also, so if you get any delivery/stock info I'd like to hear it. Need to order before she comes to her senses ;)

Alistair Hosie
07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Is that the same machine looks a bit of a smaller model I don't know???Alistair