PDA

View Full Version : De-Gunging a mill...

Davek0974
07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi all,

i'm trying to clean up a new-to-me horizontal mill. Its covered in encrusted swarf and dried coolant.

Is there a decent solvent (in the UK) i can smother it in to loosen it all up a bit?

At present its soaking in a 50/50 mix of oil and white spirit which has worked well in the past but this one has it beaten i think:confused:

Thanks in advance

Dave

Circlip
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Can you still get "Gunk" Dave?? and some swear by "Jennolite"

Regards Ian.

Timleech
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I use stuff similar to Jizer from my local oil blenders, basically kerosene + detergent, it's done the same job for me very well in the past and can be washed off with water if need be. I try to soak it up with oil mats, the thin rectangular oil-only absorbent pads.
If that's not man enough, you could try brake cleaner but that's best done outside because of the fumes. If you can't do it outside, have all doors & windows open, do a bit then go away for a while while the fumes disperse.

Tim

andy_b
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
needle scaler. :)

just don't use it on the ways.

andy b.

lakeside53
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I just cleaned a big lathe in the same condition. The coolant from the lathe and the adjacent machines had formed a varnish impregnated with 30 years of metal chips that was really tough to get off. I tried "everything".... (mineral spirits, turpentine, lacquer thinner, naphtha, lantern fluid and more...) with all types of pads, and to some degree most worked with varying degreees of elbow grease. The paint still had a brown film and looked muddy... BUT.... by chance I tried Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). WOW... one wipe, chips and coolant gone, and no underlying paint damage. I went to buy it in gallons and found it hard to find on the day, so I bought a few gallons of Methyl Alcohol ("denatured alcohol"). Worked the same or even more aggressively, but left a slight white film behind -no problem - cleaned off nicely with a rub of Hoope's #9 gun cleaning oil.

Davek0974
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I just cleaned a big lathe in the same condition. The coolant from the lathe and the adjacent machines had formed a varnish impregnated with 30 years of metal chips that was really tough to get off. I tried "everything".... (mineral spirits, turpentine, lacquer thinner, naphtha, lantern fluid and more...) with all types of pads, and to some degree most worked with varying degreees of elbow grease. The paint still had a brown film and looked muddy... BUT.... by chance I tried Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). WOW... one wipe, chips and collant gone, and no underlying paint damage. I went to buy it in gallons and found it hard to find on the day, so I bought a few gallons of Methyl Alcohol ("denatured alcohol"). Worked the same or even more aggressively, but left a slight white film behind -no problem - cleaned off nicely with a rub of Hoope's #9 gun cleaning oil.

Wow, i hadn't thought of IPA, we use it at work in 25ltr drums on the printing machines, i'll borrow some and try it.

The brown muck is an absolute ba%$tard to shift, its plastered with aluminium chips which it had been milling for 10 years before i got it. It came from a toolmakers, one owner from new in the '80s but i'm disgusted with the condition its in. There is little oil in any gearbox, less on the ways and the whole thing is covered in this brown sh1te from top to bottom. It used the be the bloke i got from father, i'm guessing it suffered when he got it and started chomping aluminium on it.

Luckily though, under the muck, the ways are pristine and there is little backlash anywhere. I just hope the gearboxes are as good.

Thanks all for the ideas.
Dave

tattoomike68
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Foaming glass cleaner that comes in spray cans is real good.

Some guys say oven cleaner does a good job too.

Both are cheap and easy to find.

aboard_epsilon
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
i say, take it outside and put the pressure washer on it ..

i always use 50/50 biological washing powder and hot water in a jug.

leave this stuff on long enough and it will take paint off ..

all the best.markj

macona
07-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Metanol works great. But for greasy stuff I prefer something with lye in it. Like Zep Purple.

thistle
07-24-2009, 05:50 PM
get a bucket of strong industrial detergent ,
and go at it with a presure washer, aim the pressure wassher so it doest drive muck under ways ect i am sure you get the idea

JoeFin
07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
50/50 concentration of "Simple Green" works wonders for me. Keep it wet with simple green for 30-45 minutes and then brush all the dirt grime and chips away

DennisNYS
07-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I used several quarts of Greased Lightening, available at an auto parts store or Walmart, and at least a dozen rolls of shop (paper) towels, along with steel wool.
AND LOTS AND LOTS OF ELBOW GREASE.

Someone mentioned a needle gun. I will try that next time.

bob308
07-24-2009, 06:59 PM
my s-b came that way and it still is covered with it. i tried oven cleaner degreaser paint remover even used the needle gun on some real bad spots. so i just gave up and have been using it ever since.

Davek0974
07-25-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks all, i'm sure most of those cleaners are not available in the UK:( But i'll try the IPA first, i dont need it spotless, just to a good usable state. None of my machines are filthy, i wouldnt do it, always wiped down at least once a week and chips brushed off each day.

The manual states grease for the ball bearings and oil for the rest but i cant find any ball bearing points???

Shell vitrea 33 oil which i think is iso68 and is used in my other machines so that ok, i just hope the oil pump is not buggered.

Dave

thistle
07-25-2009, 06:29 AM
IPA thought you meant India pale ale, which might result in not much workgetting done but a good way to start.

teepol makes industrial detergent in the uk

aboard_epsilon
07-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks all, i'm sure most of those cleaners are not available in the UK:( But i'll try the IPA first, i dont need it spotless, just to a good usable state. None of my machines are filthy, i wouldnt do it, always wiped down at least once a week and chips brushed off each day.

The manual states grease for the ball bearings and oil for the rest but i cant find any ball bearing points???

Shell vitrea 33 oil which i think is iso68 and is used in my other machines so that ok, i just hope the oil pump is not buggered.

Dave

the ball bearings will probably be at each end of the leadscrews

all thwe best.markj

Circlip
07-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Or are they the silly ball sealed cups that require a hypo to feed??

Doozer
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I always try all different kinds of solvents, because depending on the grime, one may work better than another.
Example, I was doing some Formica work on a counter top. I cut my finger a little, not bad. I tried to wipe the little bit of blood off the Formica with lacquer thinner. Would not touch it. A little spit, and the blood dissolved!
--Doozer

PS- If you are going to paint the machine anyhow, I really like needle guns!

gnm109
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I used some of each of the following to clean up my new to me Webb Mill: acetone, lacquer thinner, kerosene (parrafin in UK), strong detergent, Simple Green (spray cleaner) and lots of elbow grease.

The detergent was actualy the best to start off with. The acetone will give the final touch to prepare for painting once the original mess is gone.

Alistair Hosie
07-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I too use Jizer it is very good no complaints from me.I was amazed at how it got rid of grease. Alistair

wbleeker
07-26-2009, 01:00 AM
I have been wiping my machines down with Kerosene, our kerosene these days has a diesel smell to it so I throw a bit of pure Turpentine in it to make it smell better, the bloke that works for me likes the Turpentine smell that much that he bought a bottle and uses it at home, he even wiped the toilet down with it and got good comments off his wife,he hasn't told her what it is yet!
Will

Davek0974
07-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Some excellent sugestions there, thanks all,

I'm not painting it, yet. But i would not use it in the state its in, the whole thing is encrusted with ally chips and dried coolant. I need to shift the worst of it so i can check / adjust it all before use.

I dont like dirty machines.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

Davek0974
07-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Ok, had a quick go this morning before work, IPA on its own had little effect BUT IPA and water stripped that crap faster than anything i have seen yet!:eek:

It needs a wipe with an oily rag after to bring back the shine but wow, that water is strong stuff:D

I'll hopefully get it done this week and get a photo posted.

Dave

lakeside53
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
The IPA I used was 70%... the rest I assume was water. Pretty amazing to see the effect when you finally luck out and find the correct solvent!

Davek0974
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
As promised, a few pics of the new baby.

I have'nt cleaned the base yet but that is indicative of the condition it was in:eek:

http://www.davekearley.co.uk/LinkPics/mill1.jpg

http://www.davekearley.co.uk/LinkPics/mill2.jpg

http://www.davekearley.co.uk/LinkPics/mill3.jpg

Cant wait to get it running.

Dave

lakeside53
07-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Envy is a terrible emotion...:D

Rich Carlstedt
07-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Dave
I use Oven Cleaner in a spray can.
You leave it on for 30 seconds and then wipe off and rinse with water, But watch your EYES ! It takes off the paint if you leave it too long, so You may be better off with Isopropal Alcohol

I have used IPA with hot water !
Great cleaner.
Nice that you can get 70% IPA.

Rich