PDA

View Full Version : cnc or no cnc?

neil hall
09-14-2003, 09:19 PM
I have semi-novice machine skill but am very interested in expanding my skills with the help of this bbs.I have a chance to buy either a standard II with proto trak or ez trak II vertical.I'm afraid i wont be able to learn the cnc language is it hard?. Which mill would you guys choose they are both $2000.00 and very good condition. Help!!

metal mite
09-14-2003, 10:29 PM
the prototrak systems are very user friendly.
a couple hours with the book and you're going.
mite

shorty
09-15-2003, 02:10 AM
I have a rather lame question......What does a cnc machine do???
Shorty

Dr. Rob
09-15-2003, 03:13 AM
Shorty
It does the same thing you do manually, only a little bit better...

It has motors that cranks the handles, and a computer tells it when & how to do so. A more advanced version changes the tools too, when needed.

It also remembers (via the computer of course) what it did several months ago, whereas people like me can't remember a job we did last week.

Must be nice.

shorty
09-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanx Doc. So I guess it does milling operations and lathe operations as well right??

Dr. Rob
09-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Yup. Some are mills, some are lathes. Some are almost a combination of both. Some others have multiple spindles and do several operations simultaneously.

Really, really good ones make toast & coffee. Mix drinks too. Not very well though; they have a tough time with that shaken-vs-stirred thing. They always spill oil in the vodka too.

C. Tate
09-15-2003, 10:58 PM
They still don't make love...guess I'll keep the wife for now.

Thrud
09-16-2003, 10:54 PM
shorty:
Until you have seen a 5-Axis CNC lathe go crazy, you have not lived. They have live power chucks on the headstock and tailstock, the tailstock is usually about 1/2-3/4 the main spindle HP. They usually have a bar feeder to keep them churning out the parts - some have robot loaders/unloaders. They turn, mill, drill, tap. Only bad thing is the $135,000 base price(US) up here for a 10" lathe. A 5C gang tool lathe (1.12" max diameter) with a bar feeder can chug out custom bolts and fittings like crazy for about $70,000.

I wish I had some of those! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif