PDA

View Full Version : mills & drills

michaelj
02-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the responses concerning HF tools. Now, does anyone have any thoughts about Grizzly mills? Thanks again.

mike thomas
02-06-2002, 02:38 PM
Dave (Thrud) pointed out the RF45 to me a month or so ago. Grizzly is closing out their version, and if they have any left, the savings are substantial. Check out prior posts about mill/drills for the info. Mike

Thrud
02-07-2002, 01:41 AM
That Rong Fu RF45 is not a bad tool, but you can find the smaller bridgeport type for about the same money. It is pretty solid and the only smaller machine I have come across that you can order with a #30 Nation Taper Spindle - a big step up from the R-8.

Dave

mike thomas
02-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Dave, It was after that thread, and at the time I was not seriously looking for a mill, that I found the B'port I bought. This in some ways is like a treasure hunt. You look and talk and never know what is going to turn up. I got the thing running last week. I think now that it is better shape than I thought when I bought it. This is my first experience with a DRO, and I think I am going to like it.
Michaelj, poke and prod. Don't get in too big of a hurry, and you never know what will drop into your lap. Mike

Thrud
02-07-2002, 11:08 PM
Mike is right, Like sex, buying a machine is better if you take your time and be patient!

I looked for several years until I got my Maximat 7 at an auction - just what I desired - then. I mudt haver bigger machines but currently have no room - so I suffer. sniff, sniff...

Dave

mike thomas
02-08-2002, 12:46 AM
It was a little slow at work today, so I went and looked at a vertical monster bandsaw that I had spotted sitting out in the weather. It was only good for scrap, and when I mentioned what I had looked at to someone later in the day, he offered to sell me a horizontal bandsaw (American made, not sure of the name yet) for $50. I know the original purchaser of this machine and it has see little use and been stored inside. This is what I meant by never knowing what was going to turn up. The guy even offered to deliver it and said if I wanted it I could pay him after running it. It seems the more one pokes and prods, the more that turns up. Mike

tinker
02-08-2002, 09:18 PM
I recently purchased a Hendey 5x14 lathe (with cutters and a working 3 hp motor) and a Van Norman No 12 Mill (with 2 boxes of cutters and saws - most had all of their teeth) for $200.00 Which included renting a flat bed to get it into my garage. Lindsaybks.com guided me to this bbs and everyone has been helpful. If you are in the western NY area check out harriswilcox.com . they do estate and reale esstate auctions. If not, someone in your area probubly does also. Wait and hold onto your cash until you can buy it for $.05 a pound.

[This message has been edited by tinker (edited 02-08-2002).]

Thrud
02-08-2002, 10:39 PM
I love that sort of talk! I scored a Jacobs 18N on eBay for $63 US shipped - great shape except for that big, ugly, MT#4 shank!

Dave