PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 12 x24 gear head lathe

Uman
09-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Greeting,
My brother and I recently acquired a new business to run in my spare time (second job). I will be doing the R&D for new products. I will be making prototype parts out of plastic and aluminum. I am researching a metal lathe for my home shop (Florida) and the business shop (St. Louis). I plan on purchasing the same lathe for both shops. The one in St. Louis will do repetitive production on the lathe (plastic pipe fitting for now).

My question is the type of lathe for this application. I am very serious about the Grizzly G4002 (12 x 24) or G4003 (12 x 36) gear head lathe. Is this machine a good buy and are there any comments, complaints or suggestions about this lathe?

What are the pros and cons of the 24 verses the 36?

Is a Gearhead a good thing?

How about that stand, is it any good?

Thanks for all the great information you all have provided on this site.

Jeff in Florida

------------------

sidneyt
09-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Is this machine a good buy and are there any comments, complaints or suggestions about this lathe?

Yes, it is a good buy for a new lathe of its size. There are better lathes and they cost more, but you get a lot of bang for your buck with this lathe. The 12 x 36 lathe is probably the first level of Chinese made lathe that comes ready to go. They don't require much if any tweeking to run out of the box. The are substantial enough to do real work with. Grizzly's version is as good as most of the others you will find and Grizzly tends to offer good support for their products. You can buy one for less (which are virtually identical down to having the same part numbers) from other vendors, but Grizzly's price is competitive.

What are the pros and cons of the 24 verses the 36?

Well, the 24" lathe is $100 less.

Is a Gearhead a good thing?

Gearhead lathes were introduced more than a 100 years ago because they were faster to change speeds. They may make more noise than a belt drive, but the convienence of changing speeds makes up for the additional noise. It doesn't bother me (I own a 12 x 36).

How about that stand, is it any good?

It's actually two stands with a flimsy piece of metal between them (which I don't use). I use the factory stand bolted on the headstock end to studs in the floor. I use levelers on the tailsock end. The lathe hasn't fallen over yet. If you like making stands, it would be a nice project.

Thanks for all the great information you all have provided on this site.

Jeff in Florida

[/B][/QUOTE]

Cup
09-19-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm another one who is interested in the Grizzly 12x24 or 12x36.

One thing I've wondered about is the cross slide and compound dials. Are they graduated in inches? Can you easily read them in thousandths of an inch?

Does one turn of either of these handles advance the tool in an inch unit such as 0.1" or 0.05" or is something odd like 0.125"?

Darkman11
09-19-2003, 06:42 PM
I have the 12x36 Grizzly lathe. It looked very good and came in perfect condition. I didn't buy the stand. I made mine out off a 4x10' sheet of 11/4 oak faced plywood.
I will have it running tomorrow.
I called Grizzly and they gave me names of people that had the lathe in my area. I talked to two of them and seen one lathe run. Then I ordered mine. Harbor Freight sells the same lathe and I have heard that they will deal on them. Might pay to check if you live close to one. Grizzly has the best customer service so that was where I bought.

Hope this helps. Ron

SteveC
09-19-2003, 07:19 PM
I have the Harbor Freight 12 x 36, which is the same lathe. The dials are in both inch and metric. I find them fairly easy to read. One turn of the cross feed is .250 and one turn of the compound is .125.
One graduation of the cross feed is .002", and one graduation of the compound is .001", both on the diameter.

Steve

Uman
09-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Well Just pulled the plastic trigger and ordered the G4002 today!
I will let you all know my first impression when it arrives.
Thanks for you help.
Jeff in Florida

Cup
09-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Are there any Grizzly 12x36 owners in the south Louisiana area? I would like to see one.

sidneyt
09-20-2003, 07:03 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cup:
Are there any Grizzly 12x36 owners in the south Louisiana area? I would like to see one.</font>

If you can't find a Grizzly to look at you might try looking at a Harbor Freight 12 x 36 (model 33274) that they have in all their stores. It is virtually the identical lathe except that it has 18 speeds instead of the Grizzly's 9. What you get by buying from Grizzly is better after sales support and a QCTP instead of a 4 way toolpost.

[This message has been edited by sidneyt (edited 09-20-2003).]