PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hoist - refill cylinder?

KiddZimaHater
08-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi all,
I saw this add on Craigslist for an engine hoist, (Which I need), but it says the cylinder is empty.
How hard is it to refill the cylinder?
And, what should I fill it with? DTE 24, DTE Light, or something else?
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/1324456049.html

J.Ramsey
08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I use Tractor Supply Hydraulic Fluid in all of my jacks,lifts and shop cranes.

lazlo
08-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I'd be careful about that -- I bought a Porta-Power on Craigslist, and the seller had drained the hydraulic oil.

I found out why when I refilled it: it was because the cast iron seal rings were cracked, and the damn thing was throwing oil all over the place...

davidh
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
check harbor freight for a replacement ram, just in case, i think offer him 50 and try it. . . .

aboard_epsilon
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
the cylinders fill half way up the ram ..combined breather rubber bung thingy....the least obvious of all.

bet a hell of a lot of these things have been dumped 'cause they just cant work out how to fill them...........especially when there is a filler hole sized hex nut at the side of the piston.

good luck

all the best.markj

small.planes
08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
They use the same rubber plug on most hydraulic jacks. PITA usually, the one on my big trolley jack in of course under the lifting mech. To fill it you have to dismantle the whole jack...

Dave

studentjim
08-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Remove cylinder ( not very hard) lay it horizontal with filler plug up and ram in bottom position. Fill with hydraulic jack fluid until it can be seen in the filler hole. Do not fill to overflow.