PDA

View Full Version : 24-42V AC on a lincoln Mig welder???

Bill Pace
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
What is this odd (to me) 24-42V AC input voltage on this Lincoln model LF72, 2 & 4 roll heavy duty industrial feeder.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e811.pdf

Am prowling around looking at mig units and run up on this model and got to reading the specs and this voltage has me stumped - how would you supply that? Also what is the purpose of 2 & 4 roll capabilities:confused:

I'm leaning toward the Lincoln 180 model, but like to try and get familiar with whats out there.

Jim Shaper
08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Lincolns and Esabs use the 42v standard to run the control transformer and drive motors in their feeders. Miller uses 24v. What they're saying is that it'll run on either or anything in between.

I have an Airco (former Esab brand) feeder that I use a big surplus transformer to take the 120v feed off my miller invision 354mp and step down to 42v. Then I use the feeder's output signal to drive a 48v relay which triggers the contactor in the power supply via it's 24v control circuit.

4 rollers is more contact area than 2, but some wire isn't stiff enough to make any use of the extra contact anyway. Mainly, you see the 4 roller drives for people who want to push thick (1/16" or larger) wire through really long guns. With .045 and smaller wire, you get to a point where the friction on the liner in the whip exceeds the stiffness of the wire at the feeder and it will birds nest no matter how many rollers you've got up stream. This is where the push-pull guns come into play. It eliminates the pushing by switching to pulling it up the liner to the gun (which works great!).

Willy
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
This is not a mig unit Bill but a "wire feeder".
It us not a stand alone unit but is designed as an industrial quality wire drive unit.
It is designed to be used with a power source like one these (http://content.lincolnelectric.com/en/pdfs/products/literature/CV500.pdf).

Bill Pace
08-15-2009, 05:49 PM
This is not a mig unit Bill but a "wire feeder".

Ahhh! now that helps bring it into focus ... I have seen these things and now I can better relate to the set-up.

And the 2 & 4 wire feed is about what I had guessed at for use.

Ok, I'll go back to looking at the 180 sizes --- any comments on this size and brand? as I mentioned I'm looking mostly at the Lincoln, mainly because it tends to be somewhat less expensive than the Millers and Hobarts -- in the $500-650 range.

Dave Smith
08-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I have a Lincoln 175 Promig and it is a very nice machine.