PDA

View Full Version : Free to a Good Home

lynnl
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
First up:
Once upon a time, long, long ago I had a vehicle that did not have intermittent wipers. (can't recall the vehicle now) So..., I bought a wiper delay control unit made by Roberk who touted "...for better vision", etc., etc.
After getting it home and reading the instructions I decided maybe just having On/Off wiper control wasn't so bad after all.
Over the last 15 or 16 years this thing has resided at numerous locations around the homestead here, most recently in my closet which I undertook to straighten up yesterday. It cost about $16 so I didn't want to toss it, and could never remember it when the neighborhood garage sale is held each April.
It's all there, complete with the original, tho battered, packaging, and the intruction sheet. Anybody wanting it just PM me and you can have it.

Item two:
I know some of you are big electronics wizards. I'm not. I have a bag of several hundred standoffs M3 X 65mm male/female, Alum w/gold Iridite. Anybody need or want any of those?

Item three (this one someone will have to come get):
The company my SIL worked for several years ago was tossing out a bunch of stuff and SIL brought home this thing, which eventually migrated to my house. I've now stumbled over it enough and decided it needs a new home. It is: "Coventry Gage - WATTS Interference apparatus for testing flatness based on NPL design."
Made by MATRIX CG & T Co., London Watts. Made in Great Britain (not just Britain, but Great Britain!)
It has 3 or 4 calibration/inventory stickers, one an AF sticker, and one dated 1979.
It weighs probably 40-50# (cast iron). The main body is 10" dia, with 3 nice knurled leveling screws. On top is a smaller (5" dia) manually rotating table. That table is steel and still mostly shiny, but does have lots of light rust spots. However the bottom of it and both bearing surfaces are rust-free, and it still turns very smoothly. Main body + table stands about 5" high. It is a precision item for sure. I've finally admitted to myself I'll never do anything with it. It's free for the taking, for anyone close enough to bother with it.

fasto
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Item two:
I know some of you are big electronics wizards. I'm not. I have a bag of several hundred standoffs M3 X 65mm male/female, Alum w/gold Iridite. Anybody need or want any of those?

Purchased new, those standoffs are around $3 each.

lynnl
08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
You're kidding, right?
I didn't say they're solid gold. That's just what it says on the bag - gold Iridite.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, they're hex shaped. I don't know, maybe all standoffs are hex...

fasto
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm not kidding, not in the least. McMaster Carr #98952A073, for example, is only 35mm long, $2.50 each in qty 10+. Deduct 20% because McMaster is pretty expensive, and it's still $2.00. Each.

I use *lots* of these standoffs, but in 15mm & 20mm length. I buy directly from a screw machine shop down the road, and I get them for around $1.60 each in qty 300+. Oddly, brass are much less expensive than aluminum.
--
Aaron

kyfho
08-17-2009, 08:13 PM
lynnl,

Any chance for a photo of item #3?

It might be MacGuvered into something else.

Black_Moons
08-18-2009, 12:40 AM
fasto is right, those things really are worth thier weight in gold, even if not made from it :)

Paul Alciatore
08-18-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm not kidding, not in the least. McMaster Carr #98952A073, for example, is only 35mm long, $2.50 each in qty 10+. Deduct 20% because McMaster is pretty expensive, and it's still $2.00. Each.

I use *lots* of these standoffs, but in 15mm & 20mm length. I buy directly from a screw machine shop down the road, and I get them for around $1.60 each in qty 300+. Oddly, brass are much less expensive than aluminum.
--
Aaron

McMaster is by no means the most economical supplier. They just have a lot of things in one place. You really should try some electronic supply houses if you buy a lot of them. Digi-Key, for instance, has the aluminum, hex, iridite plated, male/female standoffs with a 6-32 thread and 2.5" length for about $1.45. The lengths you talk about would probably be well under a dollar. Perhaps $0.75 or so. And even Digi-Key is by no means the least expensive source around. Mouser, for one, usually beats their prices.

Oh, and aluminum is less expensive than brass. Plastics are cheapest. Nylon, etc.

rossisg
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Looking for a Roberk wiper delay control. If you have one you want to get rid of
let me know.

tdmidget
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Item #3 sounds like a leveling plate. You put your part on it and adjust to level and you can check flatness and parallelism.

mars-red
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
My dad and brother live in Huntsville and I gave them a heads up on item #3 - I'll PM you when I hear back from them.

MrSleepy
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
3yr old thread

I'd be surprised if the OP has anything left.

Rob

mars-red
06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Ugh, I hate when that happens.

flylo
06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Good eye Mr Sleepy, Good eye!

The Artful Bodger
06-25-2012, 07:51 PM
BTW, did you know that Lucas invented the intermittent wiper?

rohart
06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
And while we're back on things British, the 'Great' was first mentioned by Geoffroy of Monmouth in 1136 to distinguish what we now know as Britain, or Great Britain, or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which we have on our passports, from what he called Lesser Britain, and what we now call Brittany, or what the French call Bretagne, that part of France that contains towns with delightful names like Quimper, Brest and Guingamp.

I think the only occurence of the name Lucas on TV in Britain was the secondary character Inspector Lucas, one of Chief Inspector Maigret's team, in the crime series taken from the books of the Frenchman Georges Simenon.

lynnl
06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I still have item #3, and it's still free for the taking.

As for the wiper delay, I thought I'd found it, but it turned out I only found the cardboard backing of the package.
I must've done something with it shortly after making this post 3 years ago, but I have no idea what.