PDA

View Full Version : My new toy.

lane
08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Well I finely after 20 years got what I always wanted. Don`t know if I really need it . But full filled a dream. Been working on it and making tooling and stuff I did not have for it. Here goes My K.O.Lee B960 Tool & Cutter grinder.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/KOLeecuttergrinder011.jpg

Some of the Tooling

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/KOLeecuttergrinder010.jpg
And best of all I got the book.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/KOLeecuttergrinder009.jpg

Don`t envy me too much your day will come.Sold my little A 600 Sat .To a very nice fellow who flew over from Georgia. we took it apart and put it in his air plane.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/KOLeecuttergrinder001.jpg

DeereGuy
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Got some serious envy going on there Lane...:)
PS you need to fix your date stamp on your camera:confused:

jb-mck
08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Lane, it looks like you have been busy. I can't wait to see it up close. Your work is outstanding!

Ken_Shea
08-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Congratulations Lane, and I mean that.

That looks like brand new equipment.

Ken

Mcgyver
08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
nice lane, congrats. If i could make one small suggestion....could you do your pictures with like 1024 pixel width? I'm always interested in what you've go on the go but can't make out much detail with the small format :)

Ken_Shea
08-16-2009, 10:33 PM
nice lane, congrats. If i could make one small suggestion....could you do your pictures with like 1024 pixel width? I'm always interested in what you've go on the go but can't make out much detail with the small format :)

Well.... I didn't want to say anything :D

Bill Pace
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Some of you might recognize that KO Lee as the one I brought back from a trip to Mich last spring. I had bought it mostly because it just seemed in too good condition for too good a price ... and ... I DO love to mess with machines!

I had done a fair amount of work on it, but knowing little about how to properly use it - and, getting virtually NO tooling with it - and, knowing Lane had been coveting one,- and I had hauled another tool home from Mich--- well, it just seemed the natural thing to do was let a good friend get some use and fun out of it. And, I think Mr Sisson is having a grand ole time making all the goodies for it and tweaking and fine tuning, etc. I dont know of anybody else Id rather see have it than Lane....

Pictures dont really do it justice,-- it is really a very nice tool.

And I bet that fella in Ga right about now is really realizing just what a deal he got in that little A600 he got from Lane....

scatter cat
08-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Very Nice.Getting the tooling with it is a big plus.Most of what I usually find has rust and no tooling:(

dp
08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Sweet! Don't know if I need one either but it's on my list of things my wife will have to deal with after I'm gone.

oldtiffie
08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Lane,

if there was only person here that I could or would wish a find on like that - you'd be it.

Your already broad horizon will become a whole lot wider.

You have a whole new capability and range of options in your shop now.

You deserve that break and that machine.

Well done.

And last and by no means least.

Bill,

that was friendship and generosity at a level that is almost beyond belief.

You are a big-hearted big, big man.

rmw
08-17-2009, 07:54 AM
And I bet that fella in Ga right about now is really realizing just what a deal he got in that little A600 he got from Lane....

You're not kidding I am. It's a great little machine to start with, but when you get tooling made by Lane for his own use, and the upgrades and repairs he made, you can't get any luckier. Well almost. On top of all that, I got the tour at Lane's, and you guys just would not believe all he has done. I had a really good day.
Greg

rmw
08-17-2009, 08:11 AM
One other thing. I razzed Lane about not taking more pictures. He wondered what he would do with them, and I told him as prolific as he is, he would be able to let us see more of his stuff. I was just amazed at the quantity and quality of his work. Everybody give him a hard time.
Greg

Bill Pace
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Well,---HI Greg! glad you've come over and looked in on the madness here.

Hate I missed meeting you - especially after talking to Lane, you made quite an impression on him! He said several times "boy, sure wish Greg lived closer" We often lament that there arent a few more 'like minded' enenthusiasts around here. He said he got tickled at you - was beginning to think y'all wasnt ever gonna get that KO Lee gathered up, because you couldnt quit finding something else to 'oooh & ahhh' over and take more pictures of.

not taking more pictures.
I gently encouraged him yesterday to get the KO Lee posted here, --and I agree a lot of folks would probably like to see more of his "stuff". So, taking into account that you apparently got a bunch of pic yourself, how bout going thru them and picking out a few of them and post here....

Lanes work is difficult to fully capture in a picture, (Greg probably could attest to this) his attention to detail is just amazing, and to really appreciate it, you really need to 'lay an eyeball' on it...

JCHannum
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Good on both of you Lane gets a beaut of a T&C grinder, Bill probably won't run out of sharp tooling anytime soon.

BobWarfield
08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
That's really cool.

It's clear from the original shopmade T&C and all the tooling for the KO Lee that you're really into these T&C grinders, Lane. Along with more pix, it would be really cool to see some blow by blows of some work you're doing with one.

Cheers,

BW

Jack F
08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Lane,
I could only dream of owning a K.O. Lee t/c grinder. Thats why I'm making a home made t/c grinder. I have stumbled onto a used K.O. Lee air bearing for 5C collets and t/c cutter grinder motor with dedicated mandrel. I would be interested in seeing some close up pics of your grinder to give me some better ideas of how to set one up. I am nearly ready to start assembling mine and some pics would help.

Jack.

lane
08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Well I guess i will have to post more pictures. I just hate to brag. I have seen work that makes me want to hide mine. Any one know where I can get batteries that will last in my camera . Tried metal hydride ,and nickel cadmium charge them up and they are dead before I get to use them.
rnw good to see you here this is where I hang out. Again enjoyed the visit.

lane
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
For jack F here are some big pictures.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinder/grinderpict003.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinder/grinderpict004.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinder/grinderpict005.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinder/grinderpict006.jpg

Showing how the head is adjustable. the bottom will rotate 360 the middle section will slide in and out about 6 inches and the top section will rotate 360 lots of movement .

BobWarfield
08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Now yer cookin' with fire, keep 'em comin'!

Mcgyver
08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
ahhhhhh now i see why you put roller element bearings in the work head :)

lazlo
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Great pictures Lane! I like this size much better :)

Jack F
08-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Lane,
Thanks for the pics, They will help a lot. I see the the spindle with the 5C collet is spun by a motor. Is that used to sharpen end mills? Never having sharpened end mills before I'm not sure how spinning the end mill would be the way to do it. As you may have noticed I have a lot to learn.

Jack.

Mcgyver
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Jack, Lane's head also works as a cylindrical grinder - thats what the motorized head does. you wouldn't drive it will sharping a cutter else you wouldn't get any relief....any rotating it does while grinding a cutter would be to the extent of the tooth's helix following a tooth rest

BadDog
08-18-2009, 02:25 AM
There is also a "relieving head" (or variations) that look a lot like that. But they have a swivel and a cam-wheel that rocks the head as it turns, thus providing relief. So far as I know, these are not used for for EMs (not sure how that would work with the helix), but rather for straight edged tools like non-helical slabbing mills and the like. Most helical cutters use a variation of "set the angle for surface (primary, secondary, etc.) and feed by the wheel while auto-rotating on a (usually carbide) guide finger running in the flute". Most popular of these is the "air bearing" work head, though there are many others. I know a guy who has a $30 Chinese 5C Spindex modified to act as a helical sharpening work head on a common BS612 surface grinder. He helped/allowed me to sharpen some rather dull HSS EMs using his setup, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Jack F
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Mcgyver,
Thanks for the info. I never considered using the T/C grinder to grind cylinders. Would the 5C air bearing be suitable for this or would I need ball or roller bearing spindle for this?. For end mills I designed a pin set up for the flutes to follow while being sharpened.

Jack.

BadDog
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
The air bearing is for light, delicate/sensitive, precise movements, such as helical grinding on an end mill. For cylindrical work, I think you will want a plain or roller bearing powered work head. Manual would work, and is sometimes used for things like punch pins, but motorized will yield more consistent, faster, easier results.

Jack F
08-18-2009, 03:59 PM
BadDog,
Thanks for the reply, thats pretty much what I thought but being rather new to all this I wanted to be sure.

Jack.

pcarpenter
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Lane-- in answer to your battery question, I suffer from pretty much the same issue....re-chargables self-discharge over time. For those of us whose cameras sit a good bit, this is a problem. My camera takes 4 AA's. What I did was to buy one of the "smart" chargers that will charge 4 AA's *separatey*...that is each cell charges individually so you don't have to do them in pairs or 4 at a time. I have two sets of 4 NiMH batteries...one stays in the camera and one stays in the charger when it's not charging other cells. The intelligent charger will nurse the batteries I don't have in the camera so they are always ready to go. The day I fire up the camera and get the flashing battery icon, I swap them. If I am going to head out with the camera, I swap them without even trying the ones in the camera or take the fully charged set with me. The place I bought the charger (on-line) had little 4AA plastic battery cases to keep them together in the camera case pocket. One thing that will damage NiMH cells is dropping them...so the cases are worthwhile.

One other thing you could do is to keep a set of Lithium AA cells around. They are pricey compared to Alkalines but have a long shelf life and a much longer usable life in most electronics. While alkalines are very short lived in cameras, this is not so true of the lithium cells from what I understand. Keep them only for use when you get the "rechargable surprise" and pull them back out for safe keeping when your rechargables are ready to go again.

Your tool and cutter grinder is really sharp and you have a great friend there in Bill. What would be great is some tutorial info from someone like you who has professional experience. I think there are a few of us with machines to do the work, but no experience. Most of us have seen lathe, mill etc. operation, but few examples of work being done sharpening cutters, for example. Video would be great, but pictures are a start. I have one of the Delta/Rockwell "Toolmaker" grinders (newer model) i hope to get up and running some day. When it's ready to go, I am still not going to know what I am doing:rolleyes: I know you can't "teach" cutter grinding which is almost a whole skill set by itself, but some pictures or video would speak a thousand words.

Paul

lane
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
As soon as I get up and running . I will try my best to at least get some pictures of set ups. Do not have any kind of video. I am very old fashion. All this electronic stuff now day I cant figure out no cell phone here .Have a dvd player but cant even turn it on. Just barely work this computer.