PDA

View Full Version : HF mig welder experience

Bill Pace
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I have posted this over on the welding page, but for those of you (like me) that dont often go there, I'll make a brief synopsis of this little mig in case youd like to see more (a couple pics)

I freely admit I buy and use quite a lot of HF stuff and have on occasion got some shoddy items and just accept it as a small penalty for the many other quite good products I have -- but this was bad enough that I thought I'd vent a little.

One of the 'better' mig welders in their line of welders, they call it the "dual mig welder 151" and it does weld very acceptably -- but the gun is really poorly designed and flimsy. On my 3rd wire spool change a few days ago, previous problems came up again, and this time I'm having to write it off as a lost cause:( -- Am currently prowling the web for a Lincoln 180 as a replacement.;)

gearhead
08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Just a bit off your topic, but I have been told that the HF TIG/stick welders seem to run well enough as long as you change the torch to a weldcraft or like quality torch. The HF torchs are crap...

Black_Moons
08-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I got a princess auto mig welder.. its gun is like held togethor by a locking plastic ring and basicly has like a pinch on the hose for a gas valve.. oddly with my argon tank off it takes weeks just to discharge the line from leakage (Good seal on the gun valve)
Yea.. rather flimsy gun.. but I think its ok for my needs.. only other downside was the bolts that hold the wire feed door on, where made of plastic and have a serious tendency to crack if you open the door to far or let it 'fall' open.

Probley about the same unit as HF.. though this one tops out at 115A

Tim The Grim
08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a Dual Mig 151 as well and the torch had some serious problems right off the bat. It was on sale for $199 and I had a 20% off coupon so the price was really too tempting to pass up.I was going to exchange it but figured I'd just get another from the same run and have a problem with that too. Some major dis- and re-assembly later, with a lot of de-burring, fitting and some "magic" thrown in, I tried it again and it's been a trooper ever since. I'm actually quite surprised at what I've done with it not being a trained welder.
All that being said the mere mention of a Lincoln starts the drool flowing.

Best of Luck,

Tim

Falcon67
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I figured out long ago that when it comes to welders, don't buy cheap. I used a Century 70 for years - cost $199 at Sams when I bought it. It did well, stuck a lot fo stuff together. I bought a Hobart 140 last year - that unit is 1000X better than the Century. Worth every penny. HUGE difference on all kinds of metals. Arc strike, puddle activity, heat, etc - way, way different. If you buy anything less than Hobart, Miller or Lincoln you'll soon be saving up for a do-over IMHO. :D

PSD KEN
08-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Also HTP, (if they are still a single owner company)

No dealers, direct to customer.

Include them with M-H-L and you have a nice selection of colors!

winchman
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
My friend recently bought a Miller 211, and he (and I) couldn't be happier with it. We both like the lightweight gun compared to the larger units at the school, and the autoset feature has given excellent settings every time. We've used it all across its settings range on both 110V and 230V with excellent results.

He hasn't had any problems with it.

I think he found a dealer online where he got the unit shipped for about $900. That's still a lot more than a lot of the HF-type units, but we both think it's well worth the extra money.

Roger

psomero
08-19-2009, 03:50 AM
if you're looking for good deals on welders online, check ebay. there's several retailers who also throw their inventories up on ebay and even offer free shipping.

Black_Moons
08-19-2009, 05:15 AM
I still praise HF and princess auto for provideing cheap welders to the masses, it really is amazeing being able to weld anything for just $200, let alone the awsome results you can get with a cheapish bottle of argon. it sure started me down a long path of metalwork.

Falcon67
08-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I still praise HF and princess auto for provideing cheap welders to the masses, it really is amazeing being able to weld anything for just $200, let alone the awsome results you can get with a cheapish bottle of argon. it sure started me down a long path of metalwork.

Be afraid - when I started using the Hobart, I had to "unlearn" everything I thought I knew about how to run a welder. It was like starting over completely. The compromises made when using a cheapo unit can teach you bad habits.