PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow--I'm published

brian Rupnow
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
I just received notification that "Home Shop Machinist" has published the article I submitted on building a "Beam Type Steam Engine". George Bulliss had contacted me last year about doing an article after he seen it on this website when I built it. The article is very well covered, complete with step by step "In process" pictures of the build, my technical drawings, and my comentary on building it. Six of this issue (Sept./Oct. 2009) showed up in my mailbox today. I am very pleased to now join the ranks of "published authors".---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/BLINGYBEASTIE003Medium-1.jpg

JCHannum
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I got my issue today. Congratulations on a very good article.

It is a kick to see your work in print. Hopefully this will encourage you on to further articles and maybe get a few others to contribute some of their work.

jb-mck
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Congradulations Brian. I don't get too involved in the conversations here, but I always enjoy reading your post. I look forward to seeing your article in print!

Tim The Grim
08-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Last week you wondered if you were retired and now you've begun a new career as freelance writer. Congrats and I hope we'll see more of your work.

Ken_Shea
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Doesn't surprise me Brian, good going !

Pressure is on now (Pun intended) :D

Mcgyver
08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
way to go Brian!

Weston Bye
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Yah, you betcha. Congratulations - good job. Keep them coming Brian.

spkrman15
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Good job Brian,

looking forward to the article

Rob :)

hoof
08-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I like the looks of that engine, Stopping by B&N after work tomorrow.:D

Alguy
08-19-2009, 01:20 AM
I got mine today , nice job Brian:) I did cursory read of it till i have the time to do proper read.

Mark Hockett
08-19-2009, 01:55 AM
I also got my issue today and noticed the article, looks great, congratulations!!!! I would also like to congratulate Weston for his second place finish in the Sherline challenge.

Your Old Dog
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Looks like I'll have to get by Borders today! Congratulations Brian, nice looking project.

wierdscience
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Neato,can't wait to read it!

Paul Alciatore
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Congrats! That's a really nice looking engine. I can't wait to read the article.

rowbare
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Congratulations. That is a fine looking engine!

m_kilde
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Congrates Brian

I too, is looking forward to see your project

camdigger
08-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Congratulations Brian!

If everyone else has their issue, I'll get mine in two weeks or so, Canuck post being what it is.:eek:

At least with a subscription, I don't miss issues - unlike buying some other favorites off the shelf...:rolleyes:

Cam

kc5ezc
08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
CAM: Don't be too hard on the Canadaian Post. I am in the USA (Oklahoma) and just got my Machinist Workshop a couple of days ago. Probably be a couple of weeks before I get my homeshop machinist also.
Looking forward to the article by Brian.

Alistair Hosie
08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Well done Brian keep it up.Alistair

George Bulliss
08-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I am in the USA (Oklahoma) and just got my Machinist Workshop a couple of days ago. Probably be a couple of weeks before I get my homeshop machinist also.
Looking forward to the article by Brian.

I wish we could blame the Post Office but the problem with Machinist's Workshop was ours. Our press had a major breakdown just as we started printing the issue. This completly trashed our schedule and caused the delay. The next issue of MW will be two weeks behind but HSM will not be affected.

George

Falcon67
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Congratulations! That's is a great accomplishment!

I'll have to hunt the issue - just got a sample issue and haven;t had time to call and subscribe. Wonder if they will send the current if I do that soon LOL.

I was honored a few years back to have an article published in Car Craft - the "king of the day" feeling comes back every time I think about it :D It's a pretty cool thing.

Gary Gill
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I read the article yesterday. Good job!

George Bulliss
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Falcon67,

PM me your address and I'll send you a copy (and part two when it prints) if you don't already have it.

George

rolland
08-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Congrads on being published. I have almost finished the beam engine should have the valve and piston finished this weekend and will post a photo. Don't have a video camera so stills will have to work for now. The plans you provided were very well done everything fits up perfect. can't wait to see it work.

laddy
08-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Well deserved!

J Tiers
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice!

When my next issue eventually makes it here in a few weeks, I'll read the article.

Living in the middle of the US, our post naturally takes a long time to get here. You know how long it takes for the middle of the 2 x 4 to get wet when it's under water? the post here seems to take a long time to "seep in" to this area. St Louis is a small town, after all.

I've mailed a letter on a Tuesday here, and had it arrive IN TOWN only on Saturday, when I know for a fact that it was picked up at 2PM Tuesday. If it's four days across town, you can imagine how slow it is when it is coming from a distance.

I normally see comments about articles several weeks before I see an issue, so it certainly is NOT unique to the Canadian Post.......

kc5ezc
08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
George: My apologies> HSM was in the mailbox today. I hollered before I was hurt. Good luck getting MW back on schedule.

Falcon67
08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Falcon67,

PM me your address and I'll send you a copy (and part two when it prints) if you don't already have it.

George

PM sent. Have the July/Aug HSM mag. Need to call and subscribe and see if they'll send the current issue. There is one local big book store that carries the mags, but they don't stock but a few copies. We also have a Book-a-million (no B&N here) but I never see the mags in that store.

Duffy
08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I just received notification that "Home Shop Machinist" has published the article I submitted on building a "Beam Type Steam Engine". George Bulliss had contacted me last year about doing an article after he seen it on this website when I built it. The article is very well covered, complete with step by step "In process" pictures of the build, my technical drawings, and my comentary on building it. Six of this issue (Sept./Oct. 2009) showed up in my mailbox today. I am very pleased to now join the ranks of "published authors".---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/BLINGYBEASTIE003Medium-1.jpg
Congratulations Brian, that is a truly handsome machine. Did you not once say that you made your living as a machine designer? Now you can have a go at "Machine Builder!" And dont badmouth those damned designers ever again! Duffy

Roy Andrews
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Brian nice article and very nice model. i want you to know your famous not just with us on the site. i showed my wife the pictures in your article and when she read the name she said "thats the guy with the voice". keep the articles and the videos coming.

brian Rupnow
08-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Just a follow up to my moment of fame. I went down to the mailbox, night before last, and there was a cheque from village Press---and a damn nice cheque at that. I'm not going to go into details here, but---If you ever considered doing an article for George Bulliss---He certainly DOES make it worth your time. Thank You George and Village Press.------Brian

Weston Bye
08-28-2009, 06:10 AM
I can attest to that, doing the column four times a year, with occasional extra articles sprinkled in. I find it to be a more productive activity than watching television, although the TV is sometimes on in the background in the shop.

Writing also serves to close the loop, covering the cost of the VP publications I subscribe to, as well as supporting my machining hobby.

Keep up the good work, Brian.

sid pileski
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Brian- Congrats!
I know the feeling!
Not to steal any of your thunder, but wait untill you've made the cover shot!
I've had two cover shots of the engines I've designed and built on the cover of live steam.
It's also a kick when you go to a show and you see one of your engines built from your plans by another!

Good job!

Sid

J. R. Williams
08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Brian
It is a good feeling to have a project published.

JRW

Falcon67
09-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Enjoyed the article very much - I may want to do a small engine for fun if I ever get things kinda caught up around here. This months VFD $$$ went for a set of slicks - big money races coming up next month. I missed winning a free set of tires by .0012 seconds this last weekend.