PDA

View Full Version : 1 Hour Timer

ligito
08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I have an old manual timer that I have used for years.
I installed it in an electrical box and ran the wires to another 2 gang box with 2 duplex outlets. I plug my old bike battery charge into the timer and set it for 8 hours.

Now I want to find a timer that comes with an outlet for plugging in a charger for my NI-Cad chargers. I want to set it for 1 hour, so I don't forget and come back the next day, to a fried battery.

Does anyone know of a good source for something this simple?

Ken_Shea
08-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Almost any hardware store even, choke choke, Wal-Mart.
Most don't have ground capability and are 24 hour so you have set the start and stop times.

Ken

Jim Shaper
08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Some chargers will drain a battery if not providing power to it. Should be easy enough to check with a volt meter and a test.

JCavalry
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Intermatic makes several spring-powered timers that fit into a standard (2x2x4) outlet box. They don't have a big choice of ranges -- you'd probably want either the 0-60 min or the 0-6 hr timer. Simple to use: just twist the knob to the running time and that turns the power on until the spring motor works the knob back to zero and the power goes off. Put one in one side of a double box, an outlet in the other. MSC sells them (appx $25) and you can probably get them at your local electrical distributor. That's where I got mine.

JCav

smiller6912
08-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Way back in the 20th century, I used to do a little photography and in the darkroom I had a clock/ timer, it worked very well and is very accurate, You Can Even See It In The Dark. I found a few on ebay just to give you an idea. These seam pretty cheap, you may be able to find one real cheap at a garage sale or flea market.
I wish I had my old one back now, I could find a few uses for it.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/darkroom%20clock?_dmd=1&_sop=12

aboard_epsilon
08-19-2009, 06:37 AM
you want your American equivalent of this..its called a countdown timer ..if you can find one on USA ebay with your plug.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COUNTDOWN-TIMER-SOCKET-MAINS-SWITCHES-POWER-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ270444521769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3ef7bfe929&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

remembers last time period ..up to 50 Min's ..one touch operation.

i have one and it works well.

all the best.markj

Black_Moons
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Or, you can buy a proper 'fast' charger, chargers rated to charge nicads in 1~3 hours are typicaly smart chargers that can properly self terminate, the 8+ hour ones are just dumb trickle chargers that often never stop chargeing the battery and will indeed ruin it in as little as 24 hours. (or at least, do it some damage)

Of course, some fast chargers also trickle charge once done, but its usally a *much* lower trickle charge and can be left on for a day or two safly (but I would'nt ever store the battery in the charger, or leave it there for more then 2 days)

Proper fast chargers tend to greatly lengthen nicad service life, especialy if the nicads can be fully discharged at least once a month before rechargeing, service lifes of 10 years in jobsite usage pattrens are common, assumeing the battery pack doesnt get droped and cause cells to short out internaly (or just crack the case in half) as often occures on the jobsite. (safty harness for your cordless drill anyone? :)

Old BoZo
08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Re-wire a cheepo Harbor Freight interval timer by reversing the black wires at the clock motor.

This will create an open loop timer which will stop at the end of the cycle.
Now you can set any time interval you want... 1 hour, to 23 hours. Your choice. It stops cold after the time is up.

Reinhold

:cool:

ligito
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I have Ryobi cordless tools ( 18 Volt ) and the charger ain't very smart, unless you mean smart, in the respect that it provides Ryobi with many sales in replacement batteries.:(

ligito
08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I bought an electronic timer at Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Dimmers-Lighting-Controls-Timers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm2mZ1xhi/R-100572835/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
It has buttons for 10-20-30-60 minutes and a hold button, for constant power.

I installed it it an outdoor quad box, with a duplex outlet.

That should last a few years.