PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Shop Floor

keelan
08-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Today, I came across a stack of 'Heavy Construction News', a Canadian trade magazine, from the late 70's. On the cover of one of them, there is a photo of a worker grinding away at an excavator bucket, on what looks like a patio paved with interlocking concrete pavers.

It turns out that Cat was having problems with spalling on the concrete floors in their service bays, from the weight of the heavy equipment being worked on. The solution they came up with was to overlay the floor with 2" on sand, followed by a course of interlocking 'unibrick' style pavers. In later construction, built with the pavers in mind, they didn't even install a concrete floor; the pavers and sand were instead placed over a 2' deep aggregate bed.

I thought it was an interesting way to finish a shop floor -- it solved their spalling problem, but it would also have the benefit of being replaceable if damaged, without having to break out the jackhammer, and easily modified when needed. I'm not sure how well it would play with an accurately leveled lathe...

Just thought I'd share an interesting (to me) find.

Mcgyver
08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I haven't seen that before, but have seen several examples of hardwood floor surfaces, installed endgrain like a butcher block and left loose in heavy manufacturing plants....inlcuding the cat facility here (I think its closed now, used to have machine pits the size of a small house).

ckelloug
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
The machine shop at Sarnoff corporation, formerly the RCA laboratories has all hardwood floor in it. The Hardinge HLV's and the Bridgeports are all on it.

Circlip
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Had the Butchers block floor in the textile machinery manufacturing plant I once worked in, when the frames were set up and leveled, they used to NAIL them down.

Regards Ian

OH aye, it's a bugger if it rains and you get a flood. :D