PDA

View Full Version : blade balancer

airsmith282
08-21-2009, 12:21 AM
well i needed one and iam cheap they sell for 6.00 and made of plastic its used for balanceing lawnmower blades anyhow i had some materail on hand and so the top is made of aluim and the bottom is stainless steel \
why buy when you can make it also mine supports blade sizes the store bought one wont

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/bladebalancer.jpg so i gota bonus there

tdmidget
08-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Airhead I can't see how that will balance anything. No special device is needed anyway. But when you get it "balanced" put it on an engine with about a 13/64 exhaust and it will last for ever.

Black_Moons
08-21-2009, 01:49 AM
tdmidget: the stand has a needle point that goes into a cone in the top, you put the blade on the top peice, centered by the verious arbors, and whatever side is heavyer 'falls' down
you grind off from that edge (or drill if its a pully, or add weight, whatever) untill its 'level'
Some even include a little bubble level in the top part. else you kinda have to hold a level and 'hover' right above the blade.. kinda an art. placeing a level on the blade will make it tilt if the level isent perfictly balanced on the blade, so thats not very pratical (unless you cough, made a balanced level with a hole in it to perfictly fit the top of your balancer.. or something like that :)

SteveF
08-21-2009, 07:15 AM
I guess I'm cheaper since I use a piece of 1/4" drill rod. Clean the dirt and such from the area around the hole, lay the blade across the rod. Balance the blade on the rod, if the rod is in the center of the hole, it's balanced.

Steve.

oldtiffie
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Just for my information, are we talking about a single long bar-blade that is sharpened on its ends or sets of 2, 3 or 4 small de-mountable blades that are mounted on a disc?

I have both on my mowers.

For the bar type, I clean it off and grind it sharp and then place it with the centre hole over a bolt or a round bar in a vise. It soon shows which side is heavy and needs more ground off it.

For the small separate blades, I just either weigh them (to 5 grams) or mount them in turn in pairs with each at the ends (marked) of a rod (centre marked too) over a bar or bolt. It soon shows which is heavy.

Its only a variation of the old-fashioned beam-balance.

And it is very simple - and very accurate - and costs no money and little time to make.

airsmith282
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Airhead I can't see how that will balance anything. No special device is needed anyway. But when you get it "balanced" put it on an engine with about a 13/64 exhaust and it will last for ever.

tdmidget calling me airhead is not going to earn you any good points with me when some day you need help ill remember you called me an airhead for no good reason ,and for that i wont help you out ,, being you dont understand something gives you no right to call some one names, its also likely you dont know what and airsmith is either so let me educate you there,
and airsmith is one that works on and at times mods or makes mod parts for airguns IE: pellet guns and bb guns, just another one of my many talents inlife.. the blade balancer works very well , i was just to cheap to buy a pecie of over priced plastic one that will eventually break no matter how well its looked after, so i made a quaility one out of metal.

20 cents in metal is better then 6.00 plus tax for junk plastic..

you may at times reinvent something but it can save you wear and tear onthe car and save you gas and so onjust by staying home and making what you need.

i am a firm beliver if i can make it better and for less money then i will..
i was working on a clutch style weed wacker and they do make a tool for removing the clutch but i was to cheap to go and buy it so i made the thing instead its only cost me 10 cents for the metal and 5 min of my time, so i think wow i saved a bundle there again..

i wanted and ash tray for my shop iam a smoker so out came a piston and i cut off the bottom and now i can use it for ciggerettes and cigars costof the piston was |FREE time to part of the bottom less then 2 min, the other choice was get in the car goto the buck store 4 bucks on gas and other wear and tear factored in also pay 1 buck plus tax and would take 25 min out of my day on top of that time is money to me..

nuf said,

Ken_Shea
08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
airsmith282,
I've done the same thing, would rather spend the time machining then fighting traffic, looking for the product and then waiting in line to check out just to fight traffic again.
That logic of course has limits but still your time was well spent in my opinion.

Ken

airsmith282
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks ken :)

gnm109
08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I have a factory-made static balancer like the one in the OP's picture. Mine was die-cast and I bought it at a hardware store several years ago for something like $2.95, IIRC. I used it recently on my Honda riding mower blade. It works very well.

I can see how you could easily make one f you had a piece of scrap around. They are rather inexpensive, though.

airsmith282
08-21-2009, 11:13 AM
here in canada stuff aint cheap thats for sure,, 6.00 for a plastic one id hate to see the price for a metal one,, but ya rather easy to make and still cheaper then going out to go buy one..

gmatov
08-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Air,

Nice on you to make such a beautiful copy of the 2 buck models. Mine cost me at LEAST 2 bucks, 20 years ago.

I know how you feel. Why pay someone 2 bucks to make something you can make for 5 bucks, if you include time?

You BS JUST a bit when you cut the piston skirts off in less than 2 minutes. You couldn't open the jaws and crank them down in that time, let alone do the parting off, IF you did part, and not take cuts to shorten it.

Oh, mine does not have steps on it. Conical. Fits all.

'Nother as mentioned, 1/4 inch rod in a vise, hang the blade on it by the hole, the heavy end will fall to the bottom.

You ain't invented nothing. Nice of you to mention, but don't expect too many kisses on the A*S.

Cheers,

George

airsmith282
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Air,

Nice on you to make such a beautiful copy of the 2 buck models. Mine cost me at LEAST 2 bucks, 20 years ago.

I know how you feel. Why pay someone 2 bucks to make something you can make for 5 bucks, if you include time?

You BS JUST a bit when you cut the piston skirts off in less than 2 minutes. You couldn't open the jaws and crank them down in that time, let alone do the parting off, IF you did part, and not take cuts to shorten it.

Oh, mine does not have steps on it. Conical. Fits all.

'Nother as mentioned, 1/4 inch rod in a vise, hang the blade on it by the hole, the heavy end will fall to the bottom.

You ain't invented nothing. Nice of you to mention, but don't expect too many kisses on the A*S.

Cheers,

George

i must be a genius then cause 2 min is about all it takes to part a piston skirt off a 4 inch aluim piston,
i dont seem to have the problem with parting that i have read many seem to have , i kinda gota knack for it i guess you might say,

\as for the balancer so its nothing new invent there other then mine will support other sizes that the one at canadain tire cant,, but i dont really care either , i needed one and was not willing to pay 6 bucks for a peice a junk plastic..
when i make something for my self i dont care if it takes me a week to make it..

iam not rolling in cash like a alot of other people seem to be so i have to make stuff i cant afford to go out and just buy,

also keep in mind i have alot more hours in at machineing then many others that are just weekend hobbiest so i gain alot more experience then others that have been at it for more years then me, if you dont have the hours to match the years up then you are less experienced, then some one that has less years but more hours...

alot of guys thought i was nuts for turnning down the shanks on some 5/8 end mills to fit my 1/2 inch collets but i did it and i have pushed them to the limits and no problems and they run extremly true for being done on a lathe with a 3 jaw chuck..

it took me a good part of the day to make the balancer due to the fact i had company come over to visit and i take light cuts on stainless steel and turn it at 330 rpm using HSS , one thing i learned long ago metal heats up and swells up and when it cools back down its size gets either bigger or smaller then the last cut so taking cool down breaks every so many passes will help keep your size in the end to where you need it to be,, iam not in a rush and taking to big of a chunk at a time can mess up your work in the end and you can also break stuff to if your not carefull , i respect my machines and value my life so i dont take chances on my machines,

and who cares of you paid 2 bucks 20 years ago now a days thats more like 15 bucks these days or more.also quaility then and now are 2 different things to and stuff i make i make it so it has quaility and it does the job its suposed to , so taking a bit more time and care makes a difference in the end as well..\

if you cant part off a 4 inch aluim piston skirt in 2 min then thats your problem not mine..

plastikosmd
08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Airsmith, ignore the trolls and keep posting. I look foreward to your airgun projects.

Jim Shaper
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Never mind George, he's a former union man so it probably takes him 10 mins to find his pecker to go pee.

I can have my jaws flipped and part spinning against a tool in under 2 mins. If you're any slower than that, you might want to find another line of work.

Ryobiguy
08-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for sharing the project. Even though I don't have a lawn or mower anymore, I enjoyed seeing it.

I can understand why not everyone wants to post a project that they think to themselves as being cool or exciting. There is too much defense to be taken as other egos take swings at it. Hey if you improvised it quickly and it works, great, that's what makes makin' things really cool, right?

-Matt

airsmith282
08-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Airsmith, ignore the trolls and keep posting. I look foreward to your airgun projects.

k cool will do but i had to ad this pic anyhow just to show that i auctually cut the suckers properly lol

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/DSC04044.jpg

plastikosmd
08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
sorry about the spelling....phew. Forward....not foreward, stupid iPhone keyboard

CCWKen
08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I pound a nail in the side of the barn to balance mine but that is one fancy blade balancer. ;)

tattoomike68
08-22-2009, 07:42 PM
well i needed one and iam cheap they sell for 6.00 and made of plastic its used for balanceing lawnmower blades anyhow i had some materail on hand and so the top is made of aluim and the bottom is stainless steel \
why buy when you can make it also mine supports blade sizes the store bought one wont

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/airsmith282/bladebalancer.jpg so i gota bonus there

Sweet you just gave away a secret that many machinist wont show a customer.

I made a unit like that to balance fan rotors but I would get them balanced on 1/8" stem sticking up 2 inches with a 12" fan rotor. after that they were good to go up to 4,000 RPM easy.

Iv worked on big fan rotors, so big you load them in the lathe with a forklift. boring them was a cool job, lots of wind in the shop with those bad boys turning. the big ones made for saw mills will eat 2 X4 's chew them up and shoot the peices a long ways away.

Iv made fans that will eat up rocks the size of baseballs and shoot them into a truck.

airsmith282
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Sweet you just gave away a secret that many machinist wont show a customer.

I made a unit like that to balance fan rotors but I would get them balanced on 1/8" stem sticking up 2 inches with a 12" fan rotor. after that they were good to go up to 4,000 RPM easy.

Iv worked on big fan rotors, so big you load them in the lathe with a forklift. boring them was a cool job, lots of wind in the shop with those bad boys turning. the big ones made for saw mills will eat 2 X4 's chew them up and shoot the peices a long ways away.

Iv made fans that will eat up rocks the size of baseballs and shoot them into a truck.

i made this thing cause i have had alot of people ask me to shapen blades on their lawnmowers, i had not wanted to, as its tricky so i thought ok if i got he right tool for the job then its easy,but i was not willing to pork out 6 bucks for a peice of plastic plus the gas and wear and tear on the car just to get this tool.. even now iam making my own recoil spring winder as i need one but iam to cheap to go and spend the money on one and there not cheap not for the ones iam looking at so guess iam again making a tool for a job...ill have to show pics once its all made so far its going good...even thouh iam not making anything thats not already being made now ..

the fact that iam making my own tools is not only improving my skills but also its saving me alot of money so the money i make from the use of the tools gives me more profit,

my 20.00 generator i bought from my step son has saved my but lots of times now and is still going stronge.not to menton other tools i have made for jobs that have help make me money,. oh well all is good i guess...

now one thing i want to do before winter if i can is get a 3000 watt inverter and a decent charger or the big battery ill need for the inverter, i estimate i can run all my shop lights and a few tools like my mill etc from this thing and save on my winter hydro bill a bit ,i already know my generator can do all this but i want to lesson the strain plus iam using the genny now more for emergencys and for when iam working out side the shop and need hydro cause i dont want extension cords all over the place anymore..

bborr01
08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
now one thing i want to do before winter if i can is get a 3000 watt inverter and a decent charger or the big battery ill need for the inverter, i estimate i can run all my shop lights and a few tools like my mill etc from this thing and save on my winter hydro bill a bit ,i already know my generator can do all this but i want to lesson the strain plus iam using the genny now more for emergencys and for when iam working out side the shop and need hydro cause i dont want extension cords all over the place anymore..

Hi Airsmith,
I just wanted to comment about your inverter idea. I have a 5th wheel that I installed a 2000 watt inverter in. They work great. But........you lose efficiency with a charger and with an inverter. If you have a source of free power, like wind generator or solar panels, you are on the right track. If you are just going to plug in a battery charger and charge a battery, then convert the battery power via the inverter, expect to lose at least 25 to 35 %of your input power.
Brian

Thruthefence
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
gmatov,

George, empty your drool-cup & leave the man alone. It's the fun of making something that counts.

"There are those that know the price of everything, and the value of nothing"

That's you, George!!

Black_Moons
08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
One made on a precision lathe outta steel/aluminum and fully machined is likey more balanced then some injection molded plastic.
Also cone models may not seat the blade perfictly every time, especialy if the hole isent round. steped models allow its face to register on a flat surface.

Carld
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
One of biggest satisfactions of having a machine shop at home is to make any damn thing that you can think of or want. Sometimes I buy something and sometimes I make it. The stuff you make gets better care than the bought stuff everytime.

Very nice balancer there.

Making ashtrays with the pistons are you? I used to make ashtrays out of the old Cummins NT 855 pistons.