PDA

View Full Version : Tinker tool and cutter grinder attachment.

David S Newman
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Just got a set of drawings for this, anyone on here made one and was it worthwhile? Looks to be very interesting but a lot of work. Do these Tinker attachments do a good job on milling cutters etc ? David

Frank Ford
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I made the Tinker a while back, and it was indeed a fine project with some good learning points for me along the way. So far, my time has been a bit short and other jobs, ideas and projects have come up, so I haven't used it effectively yet for sharpening end mills.

Here are a couple of small photos of the rig on a temporary display base:

http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/tinker1.jpg

http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/tinker2.jpg

I made only one major change to the design, and machined it fit my regular R8 collets.

BridgeportBill
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I as well have made this tool and used it. I was in such a need to sharpen my EM that I never quite finished it. It does work well, but setting it up correctly has been a challenge for me.

ammcoman2
08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I made one early on in my machine shop journey (about 7 years ago). Biggest problem I had was getting the rod that goes into the bottom left casting (see photo in Frank's reply) to fit without play. Took 3 tries and I am still not satisfied.

I now know that one should line bore it in the lathe or use a boring head in the mill with all travel done by the table and not the quill.

One of the problems with the design in my opinion is the size of the various angular markings - they are too small in diameter to allow accurate one degree resolution. I use a vernier protractor now. As well I would go R8 or 5C on the head as 2MT is limited in scope. Thirdly I would use a 20tpi thread on the advance screw as the 14(?) tpi specified is too coarse. A slip ring on the collar (on the bottom right) would also help for doing more than one part.

I made a jig to grind drills to the 4 facet method and it works well. Grinding lathe cutters is a breeze and sharpening end mills (I have only tried the ends) is fairly easy. The largest end mill I can hold is 1/2" (stem) hence my comment re a larger holding system. I recently completed the radius attachment but have not used it in earnest - only a test run.

When I reviewed which unit to make I picked the Tinker as it appeared to be within my capabilities which was not the case with a Quorn. As well, the budget at the time was a factor.

Let me know if you need more details/info.

Regards,

Geoff

Bill Pace
08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I too started one a while back, and as usual with me, as I got into it I couldnt resist tinkering ( couldnt resist that:D) with the design. I had been researching ways to do end mills and liked the Tinker and a design from Glen Wilson in a back issue of Projects in Metal, and ended up cobbling together a "Frankenstein" of the two. I never quite finished it as I scored a 'real' T&CG, a Cuttermaster off ebay, and once I used it -- well, theres just no comparison.

It did show some promise tho, and it just might have came out to be pretty decent ... heres what it looked like at the last, thats one of those Chinese 5C indexers rigged up as a air spindle mounted on the Tinker works. As mentioned about the inadequate tool capacity in the Tinker design, I used the spin indexer to accept 5C. The grinder part is a HF router toned down with a speed control, on part of the Glen Wilson design.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/IMG_0474.jpg

x39
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I've built one as well. Like Frank, I set mine up for R-8 collets (edited to add, mine isn't a nice looking as his). I mounted mine on a heavy steel plate with an upright rod I could attach my tool post grinder to. The whole rig has been living in a cabinet for a while, glad you posted this as I'm reorganizing my grinding area. I think I'll get it out and set it up.

Lew Hartswick
08-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Bill, How does that "spindex" work as an air bearing spindle? Did you
have to do any mods inside to "distribute" the air flow?
...lew...

Bill Pace
08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Did you have to do any mods inside to "distribute" the air flow?
Yes, -- at that time (real early in my newbie stage) I had never seen the inside of an air spindle, had read some on them and had a bit of a grasp on what it needed, so away I went... cut two circular grooves inside, drilled the requisite air passages and plumbed it up. It came real close to working good -- but not quite! Would not function at all at anything over about 15psi, but under that, at around 10-12psi, if I coaxed it, it would spin very nicely.... I think if I were to try again, I might could get a serviceable spindle.

I extended the spindle shaft, it was just to short -- you can just see the break line on the back end, and added the numbers ring and a way to pin it, to index the 2-4-6 flute end mills.

Those spindexes are so cheap, and that one had a really nice snug fit already (I polished it up some) - I knew I wouldnt mess up its ability to go back to being a spindexer again, so gave it a go...

David S Newman
08-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all your input, looks like some of you have made the Tinker to exhibition standards, hope mine turns out to these standards of workmanship.

Just one point I would like advice on is lubricating oil used on any part ? thinking of the abrasive particles sticking to the oil and making a grinding paste and spoiling in short time the accuracy put in to manufacture.

Thanks David

zago
11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
http://s12.postimg.org/fd8fa35ul/P1010001.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5sosn7gih/full/) img (http://postimage.org/)

TGTool
11-16-2013, 01:35 PM
That is a clever shaper adaptation and I saw it on the shop made tools thread. Somewhere I'm missing the connection to the Tinker though. If this is making components for it, it's not clear. How does this fit? Please clear up my confusion.

Bob Fisher
11-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Me too! Bob.