PDA

View Full Version : Way covers.

Black_Moons
08-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi, who in canada sells way covers? Explicity, the kinda accordian ones that will fit on the front/back Y axis of an IH mill (And idealy, above the head on the Z axis)
http://www.velmex.com/images/lib/motor/xy-system-with-waycovers400.jpg like these ones.

Do they come in all sorts of sizes or do you kinda gotta cut your own to match your dovetails?

smiller6912
08-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I have used some of these for special pneumatic cylinder rod covers. They make several types. Also, try Googling for way Bellows, I got a ton of hits.........

http://www.gortite.com/category.php?id=11

JoeLee
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I have looked into the bellows type way covers for my Bridgeport last year. THey are made by Gortite I believe. The complete set is about $500or so. Not cheap. Mc Master Carr sells them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bridgeport-mill-way-covers/=3d43ky

JL..............

Jim Shaper
08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't those just collect chips really badly?

doctor demo
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
What I have on the BP is a piece of neoprene sheet 1/8'' thick about 16''wide attached at the top of the ways on the col. with a strip of alum, then draped down and across to the sadle and attached with small screws through a strip of alum,
It is cheap and easy, and one piece keeps the vert. and hor. ways clean .

Steve

Jim Shaper
08-27-2009, 12:05 AM
So don't the hot chips stick to that?

I can't leave synthetic brushes on the bed of my machine because they end up with chips melted to them.

Black_Moons
08-27-2009, 12:06 AM
mm I have a similar cover allready over my rear Y axis... but its not really perfict heh.. I guess maybe i'll look into making my own or something.

doctor demo
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
So don't the hot chips stick to that?

I can't leave synthetic brushes on the bed of my machine because they end up with chips melted to them.
The BP clone that I had for over 15 years only needed the ''rubber'' changed once. The BP I have now has about 3 years on the ''ruber'' and a few stuck chips don't hurt anything as long as you don't try brushing them off with a bare hand:eek: .

Steve

psomero
08-27-2009, 05:13 AM
above the head on the Z axis)

if you're getting chips ABOVE the head on your IH mill, you're either being waaay too paranoid or are doing something seriously weird...

Black_Moons
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Chips arnt, but dust is. I don't use my mill as much as I should so I thought a cover would help keep the dust film down.

pcarpenter
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Way covers get discussed here from time to time and the concensus is that you should not let them make you lazy. No matter what, some stuff does end up underneath and there is no substitute for wiping the way surfaces clean and re-oiling regularly.

I personally like the way Frank Ford attaches his-- with Neomydium (sp?) magnets so that the neoprene is really just a drop cloth that can be easily removed. Some of this softens and is mildly attacked by petroleum cutting fluids. I found some stuff they called "Vinyl Rubber" available in running lengths from Enco. It's supposed to be more resistant to petroleum stuff.

Paul

derekm
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
You want a plastic sheet thats flexible, tough, very oil , water and heat resistant (above 200C), chemically inert to all metals, yet readily cut to size, cheap and easily obtainable.

PTFE(Teflon) fits the bill.

Oooh that will be expensive you say !
Nope!

Difficult to find you say!
Nope!

Use a Teflon baking sheet from the cookery section of your local dept store/ Walmart/ Sainsbury's etc..

example Bake-o-Glide 500mm x 500mm (www.bake-o-glide.com) cost 4 good for 260C (500f)

or borrow one from SWBO :)

pcarpenter
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
If those are like the baking sheet liners my wife uses, I think the fabric reinforcement is teflon or fiberglass and that the outer skin is silicone?? It feels like silicone rubber to me. They might well work, but they are not very big in my experience and are not as flexible as some materials....they flex readily one direction or the other, but not both. Still, for a way cover, if they were anchored front and rear like commercial way covers, they might work fine...but absent pleats, they will baloon up as you run the table back to the column for example.

Sure should be hot chip resistant though...although a blue hot chip may well be more than the 400 degrees F or so that they are good to.

Edit-- here are the Silpat's I bought my wife for Christmas one year. They are fiberglass reinforced and silicone..and apparently good to 480something Fahrenheit! They sure work nice for cookies!

Paul

Jim Shaper
08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
500F is where things get straw yellow, then as you get closer to 600F is where it gets blue and purple.

How long the chip stays at that temp is beyond me. I just know they will burn you with minimal contact time. :o

derekm
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
If those are like the baking sheet liners my wife uses, I think the fabric reinforcement is teflon or fiberglass and that the outer skin is silicone?? It feels like silicone rubber to me. They might well work, but they are not very big in my experience and are not as flexible as some materials....they flex readily one direction or the other, but not both. Still, for a way cover, if they were anchored front and rear like commercial way covers, they might work fine...but absent pleats, they will baloon up as you run the table back to the column for example.

Sure should be hot chip resistant though...although a blue hot chip may well be more than the 400 degrees F or so that they are good to.

Edit-- here are the Silpat's I bought my wife for Christmas one year. They are fiberglass reinforced and silicone..and apparently good to 480something Fahrenheit! They sure work nice for cookies!

Paul
The ones I'm using are thin & very flexible so they dont balloon out.
You can get all different types of them. Some are for putting in cake tins so then have to be flexible. The ones I talking about are PTFE.

hardtail
08-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I got mine from KBC Tools and Machinery, both east and west locations, they call theirs "the bib".......

http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

Sorry after looking at your requirements after posting......blush, that won't do, you might try Busy Bee, Thomas Skinner or United Tool.

Black_Moons
08-28-2009, 02:58 AM
hardtail: Nope, neither seem to have any results for way covers or bibs or anything..