View Full Version : What type of plastic....

08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
would you think was used to make these?


If I were to look in the MSC catalog, what product name would it have?


Greg Parent
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Could be Mylar.

Rusty Marlin
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
My kids have those. Looks like polypropylene to me about .015" thick (going by feel, havn't measured it). Its the same stuff used for the plastic covered student's spiral bound tablets.

Peter N
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
My bet is that it is Polyester sheet (PET/PETG), Mylar is one of the trade names for this.


08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd start at the McMaster-Carr website and look in "plastics" - "film".

On the basis of material properties vs. cost, polyester (Mylar) polycarbonate (Lexan) and polypropylene are all available in suitable thicknesses and sizes at reasonable cost.

08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
See http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36280 for informative flowchart on 'how to indentify plastic'

08-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone. These things are intended to be folded (shaped) into the daisy wheel center, then taken apart for storage. So the plastic has to be pliable. Also, I think .015" might be a little thin, I was thinking about maybe .050".

I will search thru MSC and McMaster Carr, see what I come up with. I'll probably buy a piece of a few different types to see what they are once I get my hands on them.