PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what's become of RCM ?

nheng
08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Tried to look up some stuff on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup the other day and found that at least Google groups has abandoned or lost all or part of this group. You can search for terms and when the search returns a result (in a group), ask to search the group they are in and it doesn't find anything.

I know Usenet is dying (thanks to lawyer's threats to ISPs) but is it over ?

Den

alanganes
08-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Seems to be working for me, at least as of a few minutes ago.

It still comes up on google groups just now when I tried it and on the eternal-september news feed for me.

I still check in there from time to time. There are some great folks on RCM, I followed that group for years, but the spammers, cross-posters and a pretty small number of persistent OT loudmouths have taken their toll. I find that by kill-filing a pretty small number of people the noise level goes WAY down.

oldtiffie
08-29-2009, 03:44 AM
There it is:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=rec.crafts.metalworking+newsgroup+&btnG=Search&meta=

nheng
08-29-2009, 08:48 AM
If you use any of Google's links to a searched topic, or use Google's top level return for the group, it cannot find anything when you say "search this group".

After a bit more work, I discovered that the archive is still there but Google is messed up a bit.

You can get to it using the "group:" option like this:

harrison m300 group:rec.crafts.metalworking

It seems to return the proper archived content for "harrison m300" or whatever your search terms are.