PDA

View Full Version : Nardini lathe spindle brake question

Boucher
09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I have a Nardini TT 1230E lathe. It has a spindle brake that is applied when you move the Apron control lever back to the neutral position. When you roll the spindle by hand you can hear a relay click in and out as it applies the brake. I have some operations that I would like to perfom by turning the spindle by hand. I may put a crank on the left end of the spindle tube or I may use a large faceplate as a means of turning it. Anyone have any suggestions about how to temporarly deactivate the brake?

Glenn Wegman
09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
There is a row of five small circuit breakers in the electrical cabinet that resemble your home light switches. One of them will disable the brake. Mine is a 1440, but I would bet the brake system is similar.

The other option, which I do, is to disengage the spindle by moving one of the spindle speed selector levers to a in between position. The spindle will then spin free.

Jim Shaper
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Not a nardini, but the WEG motor on my Voest has a coil that's energized while the motor is running to release the brake. Otherwise, the brake is applied via spring force.

To counter this problem (not being able to hand spin the spindle very easily), they have a jog button on the headstock.

lakeside53
09-01-2009, 09:34 PM
My Polamco releases the brake when the apron lever is moved to forward/reverse, OR, by pressing the console brake release button. If your Nardini doesn't have one, it would be very easy to add a NC button in the brake control relay path.

Boucher
09-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys I will check it out in the morning and let you know what i find.