X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darryl
    • Jan 2003

turning diamond

I'd like to try turning some diamond, but I'm having trouble finding some scraps to practise on. Anybody have some- I'll gladly pay postage

Apparently there are two materials now that are harder than diamond. One is wurtzite boron nitride, the other is lonsdaleite- both naturally occuring. Neva hoid of either myself. One is half again as hard as diamond, and the other about 20% harder. You could probably chew ceramics all day long with inserts made of these. I wonder if we're about to embark on a new adventure in materials, such as happened with kevlar, carbon fiber, starlite, etc. Maybe this is already old, I don't know.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-
  • mwechtal
    • Jan 2008

Hold your horses there

Originally posted by darryl
    I'd like to try turning some diamond, but I'm having trouble finding some scraps to practise on. Anybody have some- I'll gladly pay postage

Apparently there are two materials now that are harder than diamond. One is wurtzite boron nitride, the other is lonsdaleite- both naturally occuring. Neva hoid of either myself. One is half again as hard as diamond, and the other about 20% harder. You could probably chew ceramics all day long with inserts made of these. I wonder if we're about to embark on a new adventure in materials, such as happened with kevlar, carbon fiber, starlite, etc. Maybe this is already old, I don't know.
    According to this article, they SIMULATED what would happen in a hardness test, because they don't have enough material to actually do the test. So, it may be a while before practical quantities are available.

diamond-no-longer-natures-hardest-material
    Mike

Comment

• lazlo
      • Jun 2006

Why not just spin the workpiece fast and use an iron cutting tool?

By the way, on Mike's site, I notice this spring-steel Velco. Pretty neat:

Extreme steel 'Velcro' takes a 35-tonne load
      Last edited by lazlo; 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
      X