PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Digimatic ADS-2 DRO?

SGW
02-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a Mitutoyo Digimatic ADS-2 DRO? This is not the same as the original Digimatic DRO. It seems to be more accurate, if the specs can be believed.

I'd like to get feedback from somebody who actually has one.

Thrud
02-03-2002, 10:28 PM
I have used the KC series. They are good units. Heidenman (not sure on the spelling) makes units with more features. Accuracy really depends on the linear scales you use with it. The KC goes to .00002, but the scales to do that are really expensive. I have not heard of the ADS-2 until now.

I do not know if that is going to help you any. I am sure they would not make any claims they could not back up in court (not in the land of lawsuits over nothing!).

Dave

jcurrell
02-04-2002, 10:12 AM
I have 5 Newalls & they are much easier to install and maintian,never skip from dirt in scales.

Thrud
02-05-2002, 12:10 AM
SGW
Sony has a pretty good scales as well - you can run them submerged in crud.

Dave

SGW
02-05-2002, 07:52 PM
The ADS-2 has the advantage of being (relatively) cheap -- $850 from Penn Tool-- for what seems to be pretty good accuracy. They claim .0001" resolution and long range accuracy of about .0001" per inch of travel. That ought to be good enough for anything I'm going to do.

I would dearly love a Heidenman, but they are big bucks.

Thrud
02-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Are the scales the Absolute type that remembers position even if the power fails? Maybe the unit is battery backed up (or a 1 Farad "quarter" sized capacitor like fax machines use). If you use suds I would make sure the unit is sealed (IP54 spec) for reliability.

I was looking at the cheap(?) one advertised in HSM made in Canada. I know there is no way I can get their scales to work on my lathe. As helpful as they were, they could not tell me if I could use their readout with other scales (which could fit - $$$).

Mitutoyo does not sell any junk so I don't think you are risking much. If you go to buy one check what features it has first such as radius or diameter display on a lathe or bolt circle for the mill, etc.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-06-2002).]

SGW
02-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Here's the Mitutoyo catalog page:

http://www.mitutoyo.com/catalog/i-6.html

As far as "sealed" is concerned, the Newall units seem to be the ones for durability.
About $1400 though.

I use mist cooling -- when I use anything -- and it IS my basement, not a commercial shop, so I don't think I need bomb-proof construction, just something reasonable.

Thrud
02-07-2002, 02:01 AM
I checked your page, they are the Absolute encoders. I would buy it - price is not that bad for what you are getting, IMO.

Dave

SGW
02-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Yes, I thought it looked like good value for the money. I have no practical experience with DROs though, so I'm glad to get a second opinion.
The only minor difficulty is, I got laid off in September, so shelling out $850 on my hobby right now would not be a particularly prudent fiscal move. Maybe it can be my celebration present when I find a job again.
(Anybody need a technical writer who is also a machinist in eastern Massachusetts?)

Thrud
02-07-2002, 11:21 PM
SGW:
I was recently turfed too, I feel your pain. In my case it was a self inflicted wound - like a Badger chewing its own leg off to get out of a trap! That did not stop me from eBay shopping or a new computer - I deserved the goodies...

Dave

Bill Neufeld
02-09-2002, 08:55 PM
I have installed the Sony magnescales and Accurite scales on machines for the company I work for. Both work well with no failures other than having the read head run off the end of the scale. The cost of the scales goes by the resolution and length. When you install them follow the installation specs for the scales and you will likely have few/ no problems.