PDA

View Full Version : Fast Practical Machinist Reader

aboard_epsilon
09-14-2009, 07:50 AM
For the poor sods that can barely get round the site anymore ..like me.

Don't know what this is ....and not linked internally from Dons site

but it works 1000 times as fast as the main forum

it's sort of back to front with the very first posts in the forum coming up first and you cant do replies.

but its up to date.

thought the link may be of use to some people here .

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/sitemap/index.php/

all the best.markj

Mark McGrath
09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
It`s also known as the "archives"

Glacern
09-14-2009, 08:14 AM
One reason why it's fast is because it drastically cuts down on database queries. Normally with each post in a thread, the server looks up user information such as location, post count, etc. Depending on how the forum code was written, this seemingly simple information could translate into hundreds if not thousands of database queries with every click.

lazlo
09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Um, why not post that on PracticalMachinist, instead of here? :)

aboard_epsilon
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
yeah sure ...not

one sure way to upset him ..and have him coming down heavy on me and most likely deleting the post.

anyway most of the guys that are having the trouble there, are mostly here most of the time now .

I am

I used to spend about an hour in PM everyday reading the posts on lots of forums ..

I'm stuck now, only going occasionally to 1 or 2 forums there every other day or so.

as that hour now takes two hours the way its performing...i only spend 20 Min's there before the mental frustration of the slow page transitions drives me away.

all the best.markj

lazlo
09-14-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah sure ...not

one sure way to upset him ..and have him coming down heavy on me and most likely deleting the post.

Ah, good point Mark -- my apologies.

clutch
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I only go there now when I have a OEM CNC question. It is as bad as cnczone now.

Clutch

dave727
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Well its been like that for a few months now and I guess he must like it that way since it hasnt improved any

trap
09-16-2009, 06:28 PM
I do not have any problem with PM being slow. It is as fast as this site is for me. I do not have the ads blocked because I like to check them out. My computer is not a hot rod and I have not done anything to make it work fast. I do use Vista 64 bit and cable. I am not a computer guru nor can I offer any explaination of why it works ok for me.

oldtiffie
09-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks Mark.

I recognised the "archive" format - but its lightning fast compared the "normal" rate of opening.

It is almost (or is it actually) (back?) in/to DOS format? It looks like BBS's used to look under DOS.

I haven't checked, but are the entries in each category in alphabetical or chronological (time and date) form(at)?

Is there a similar "entry" method to this VP HSM forum? Does there need to be?

aboard_epsilon
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
yup, there is an archive button right at the bottom.

leads here

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/archive/index.php/

all the best.markj

oldtiffie
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks Mark - 'nuther "bulls-eye" to you today!

I knew of the HSM archive but I thought it only applied to after a "6 month previous to now" point. That was based on the "search" facility only going back 6 months (or is 1 year?).

I did not realise that it was right up to the minute - and its easier to scan too.

Much appreciated.