PDA

View Full Version : Sticky magazine well in a colt 45?

Dawai
09-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Any clues, it has been shot 5 times, a brand new in box model 70, has split barrel bushing and other new fangled things inside..

You have to push up, and then pry down magazine to make it turn loose..

I intend to carry this firearm, DO not like having a hard time reloading. I have not started filing or sanding yet.

johnl
09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
First off I would try Wilson, Mccormack, or Ed Brown Mags in it. If you are still having problems with the different mags, then it is time to pull the mag ejector out and take a look at it.
John l

smiller6912
09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I work part time at a local gun shop and shooting range. We sell a lot of guns and if you bought it from us, we would want you to immediately bring it in and let us make it right.
Give the guy that you got it from a call and ask, the worst thing that he can do is say no.........

JCHannum
09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Chances are that is is the magazine, either damaged or out of spec. Try a couple of different ones if possible, they do vary in size.

If that does nor work, chalk or use a magic marker on the magazine to determine where the tight spot is. It is best done with the gun stripped and the mag release removed to eliminate other variables. It could be the mag release itself.

Dawai
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
It was part of my father's estate when he died.

I was wanting the one he bought when he left Panama and the army.. I got a brand new model 70 he paid $264.. *I think.. brain cells are not connecting this morning.. Anyways, I was going to put the ARMY 45 in the flag display case I got at his funeral.

A new 45 does not hold the same sentimental value to me. I shot a fighting pitt dog fixing to eat mine up, so it has been shot 5 times.

I have three magazines, all stick.. OK.. I'll tear it down and check it out..

Chalk is a good transfer media.. Thanks for the reminder..

ALSO< Laser mounts for this pistol?? anybody making one for themselves? I am cheap and will use a pointer, thou the gun has been rained on a few times now and it'd pay me to use a factory one.

Dawai
09-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Anyone got a parts breakdown?

http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm THIS one has instructions on firing from a horse back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1278.jpg

JCHannum
09-19-2009, 10:24 AM
This is from the Numrich site;

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660z1911%20GOVERN MENT%20SERIES%2070

Removing the slide will open the mag well to view. The mag catch is removed by depressing it and turning the "screw" CCW 1/4 turn. It will slip out then. At that point, the magazine should slip in & out with no restrictions.

The manual in youp link has detailed stripping procedures described if further disassembly is required, the 70 Series is basically the same.

Nice photo of your father.

chriskat
09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Does it have the stock trigger in it? I installed an aftermarket trigger in mine and the stirrup was formed incorrectly and rubbed on the magazines causing them to stick.

Just another thought. You should be able to use a magic marker to at least see where it is dragging.

Jeff

Dawai
09-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes,Thank you.
It was a burr on the magazine release. I sat here and played with it till it loosed up. I don't play with guns like a kid. The more you handle anything the better it is a part of you tho.

THE blued magazines drop out easily now, the "chinese???" stainless ones still are sticky.

I had a fist full of pachmayer rubber bottomed magazines somewhere, they held another round too. If I can find them.. If I didn't give them away.. if??

I had a policeman here about two months ago, he had a M16 with "ONE MAGAZINE".. I felt sorry for him and gave him a handful I had tattooed-traded for. he was here doing me a service on checking a vin verification per registration on a new Georgia law. He got out of the car, shook my hand. I felt so embarrassed.

A M16 with one magazine is like a one legged man in a running race, he can go real fast for a few feet. Then it is over.

Thank you very much.

Dawai
09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
DANG>>> Gun Parts Corp, used to be Numrich arms don't play around with the prices on them magazines now huh??

I used to shoot pins with a home made gold cup.. drop them out and step on them.. I sure won't be doing anything like that now.

OUCH.

scatter cat
09-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Everybody went nuts on gun and mag prices a while back .They are starting to git back to normal now. Try J&G sales ,Centerfire Systems,or maybe SARCO,CDNN to name a few for better prices.

Dawai
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Sarco is about a third of Gun parts corp.. Yes..

Thank you guys.. I was just putting it all back together, shot the spring across the room. I think that new fangled bushing is "crapola" how well do they work..

Used to be a fitted "micro" bushing, and a good Stainless barrel.. the gun had to rattle when you shook it to operate thou. Bomar sights and pachmayer grips and magazines.. Is that still the best options? I remember beavertail saftey, but.. not been bit in a long time.

I was just looking at crimson trace grips.. Pricy. But I like them on another one here.

deltaenterprizes
09-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Wilson SEVEN round mags are the best. Eight rounds are for games when your life is not on the line.

black powder
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM
David when removing the Bbl bushing ,1St place a pencil between the Bbl. &the breach, This allows the Collete bushing to come off the high spot on the Bbl.You can then turn it easily, otherwise you take a chance of the Collete fingers breaking.Check the www.1911forum.net site for help ,animated operating of the pistol and smithing advise on 1911's