PDA

View Full Version : tinker mill grinder unit

jwoitasek
01-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey folks.
Has/does anyone out there made the tinker mill grinder casting kit. I noticed it is sponsored buy Guy Lautard.
Any inputs????
Thanks
JRW

Thrud
01-23-2002, 12:39 AM
Guy does not sell garbage - www.lautard.com (http://www.lautard.com) ask Guy if it is worth it - he knows and will not BS you. Ask him which is the better tool grinder.

The Quorn is nice but a tough project - buy the book (how the build the Quorn) and casting from England. Good luck.

Dave

bdarin
01-23-2002, 01:29 PM
I have the plans for the Tinker. It looks like an easy enough project. I'll get to it in my copious free time (ha). The castings are optional, parts can be made up from bar stock. Got the #2 MT collets from MSC, $25 each.

jwoitasek
01-24-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi Bdarin,
What do you think about using 5c collets instead of the mt2 collets?
I have not gotten the plans yet so I maybe way off base on this question. I was just thinking about having the option to go about 1" in shaft diameter.
Thanks for your inputs
JRW

bdarin
01-24-2002, 02:08 PM
The main shaft is designed for the MT2 collets, not intended for 5c's. You'd have to redesign the shaft for 5C. As it is written, it only goes up to 1/2" milling shaft size. I'll dig out the plans and let you know if I come up with anything. Once you see the plans, this will all become crystal clear.

Thrud
01-24-2002, 11:36 PM
To use 5c you can change the dimensions to suite. You could also use ER collets with ER collet nut. These collets support the tool the entire length of the collet and would be easier to sneak into the design than a 5C.

Just a thought..
Dave

jwoitasek
01-25-2002, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thrud:
[B]To use 5c you can change the dimensions to suite. You could also use ER collets with ER collet nut. These collets support the tool the entire length of the collet and would be easier to sneak into the design than a 5C.

Just a thought..
Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out.
I really like this message board group, Tons of good info.
JRW

jwoitasek
01-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi Dave,
I was looking at the ER collets.
I noticed that they come in different ranges.
like ER-25?
Am I looking at the wrong stuff?

Is there a ER reamer or will I have to machine the inside of the spindle for the ER collets?
Thanks again
JRW

Thrud
01-26-2002, 03:26 AM
The ER collets are 10* on the backside. ER-25 goes from 1mm-16mm (1/16"-5/8" roughly) in 1mm steps. The threads used on the collet nuts are standardized. A ball bearing nut is preferable (I use Lyndex) as it can exert much more force than the hardened metal nuts. The ER collets are also self extracting - when you loosen them the nut draws the collet out of the socket. You should not have to harden a socket for these but it would not hurt (last longer).

You could adapt a straght shank toolholder to use the collets for your cutter/grinder. The reason I would use the ER collets is the ER-25 has more bearing area than any normal 5C collet (large pot chucks can be machined for greater bearing area - $$$). If you need to go larger than ER-25, ER-40 goes to just over 1".

If there is a local machinery dealership nearby go have a look at them and see if it grabs your snappy before you plunk the cash down.

Dave

FLPR@juno.com
01-26-2002, 09:47 AM
See the book "The Shop Wisdom of Phillip Duclos" published by the Village Press. The book has plans for another alternative to a sharpening device. It will handle shanks up to 3/4 " and their is no reason it couldn't be made even larger. Probably not a good choice for a professional shop, but looks like a good alternative for the mome shop guy.

ralph mitchell
02-04-2002, 08:44 PM
I ordered the plans for the tinker. I am excited to start working on it. I hope to have a good set of endmills and use sharpened ones for roughing. This should save me some money.

bdarin
02-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Found my Tinker plans. 5C probably won't work, but R8's definitely will. Modification is printed in plans for R8 adaptation. Been studying the plans, will be my next project. Should take about a month to make at my pace.